Marines - Page 2

Read more about As an person in the Army DEP, I have a question. I do not know much about the Marines, but I am interested in one thing. How come Marines have such pride and belief that

Military Medals Store

International Military Forums > >

User Name
Password

January 11th, 2005   #11
03USMC

Very well said Charge 7.

Sgt. Rafael Peralta ,United States Marine Corps
Company A, 1st Bn, 3rd Marine Regt, 3rd Marine Divison

We will never forget your valor and sacrifice.

Semper Fi !

-
January 11th, 2005   #12
Vitaly

Thanks for the input.

January 11th, 2005   #13
Sooners1

03 - is it still set up to where if you go to The Corps from another branch you have to go through boot and if you go to another branch from The Corps you have to go to an MOS school? This is a tough one to explain, Espirit De Corps comes close but not quite, cocky? Nope. Confidence? Nope. It is a combination of all these things, it is the way that we are trained. The traditions, the history, these things will help understand this question some but not fully. I am a Marine therefore I am The Best.

I am not tryin to start a war here between services, tryin to help this young fella out with some understandin.

January 11th, 2005   #14
implicature

And if you REALLY REALLY want to know you could always go through both services. i know a few ppl that have and after doing it they said that even then they couldn't explain the difference. No matter which branch you choose there will be the pride of belonging and the brotherhood that is inherent in sharing beliefs and lives with other men and women. There is HONOR in every branch so if you still don't understand then do both then you can come back and put it into words and maybe even then still come up short!

If you don't make your own decisions someone else will.
If you don't make yourself happy... no one else will.

If you want to make God laugh just tell him your plans!

January 11th, 2005   #15
RnderSafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooners1
03 - is it still set up to where if you go to The Corps from another branch you have to go through boot and if you go to another branch from The Corps you have to go to an MOS school?
It sure is, MC is the only branch where boot "carries over."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitaly
Also the Marine Boot Camp is 12 weeks isn't it, while ARMY infantry OSUT is 14 weeks. So how come the Marines consider themselves the best trained? Is the Marine Training harder?
Marine Corps Recruit Training is 12 weeks in length, yes. After that, infantry Marines report to the School of Infantry, and spend another 7 weeks (and a few days) with the wonderful people at ITB learning to be Infantry Marines. This brings the total to 19 weeks of training for your average infantry Marine.

Army OSUT (One Station Unit Training) is 14 weeks for infantry. This combines both your basic training with your infantry MOS training.

Does your average infantry Marine comes out of the gate with more training? Yes. Does this mean that he will be a better, more productive infantryman than an Army 11B? No - that's up to the individual.

After serving in both the Army and the Marine Corps, I believe the latter has it right when it comes to recruiting and training. Unfortunately, because of the size and massive needs of the Army - it's not able to be as flippant (ie: prove to us you're worthy of even speaking to a recruiter) as the Corps. But don't misunderstand, the Army and her soldiers are full of "Espirit De Corps," however, you will mostly see this at the unit level.

January 11th, 2005   #16
03USMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooners1
not tryin start a war here between services, tryin to help this young fella out with some understandin.

Yeah I was also trying to be Diplomatic. But I think all has now been explained by RndrSafe.

January 11th, 2005   #17
Sooners1

I agree. RndrSafe did it much better than I. I am not good with explainin and on the diplomatic side at all.

Good job RndrSafe.

January 12th, 2005   #18
Vitaly

RnderSafe,
After serving in both serivces which did you enjoy more, and what was your MOS?

January 12th, 2005   #19
Sooners1

I'm guessin here, but he will say he enjoyed them both about the same. RndrSafe is very smart and knows how to state things, but secretly he will know it was USMC.

Tags
marines, members, military, school, wondering