Looking for some advice...

TheManFromOz

Thursday I dislocated my right shoulder, and have been told to keep it in a sling for three weeks.

Has anybody else dislocated a shoulder? Or would anybody know some exercises that I could start in two weeks to strengthen the joint?

Do as the doctor says,... it needs immobility at the moment not exercise, until it has mended,... then you will no doubt be advised by a qualified physiotherapist.

All you will do if you start mucking with it now is prolong the healing proces and perhaps generate abnormal internal scar tissue that will hinder your full recovery for years.

I know, it's just driving me crazy having my right arm tucked against my belly and useless. Every once in a while I need to move it or the muscles start cramping.

Thanks for the advice.

As someone who has badly damanged both shoulders (dislocations mostly, and twice what they called a severe sprain of my right), do what the doctor tells you!!! Believe it or not, they actually know what they're talking about!! If I'd listened, I wouldn't be in so much pain, and I wouldn't be so close to disability at the tender age of 32. I have arthritis in both shoulders, I can't lift anything over 10-15 pounds without a lot of pain, I have very limited mobility in both shoulders, and I'm looking at replacement surgery of my right one in the near future. I know its frustrating, but keep it immobilized as much as possible. Slight movement to relieve cramped muscles shouldn't do much damage, but you should ask the doc about it to be on the safe side. They should be getting you into some physical therapy soon so that you don't get frozen shoulder (complete loss of mobility). Best of luck!! I hope you heal up quickly. Take care of yourself!!

The doctors didn't say anything to me about physical therapy, just "keep it in a sling for three weeks and you'll be fine."
Admittedly it was in the emergency room, and they were insanely busy.

How long did you spend in PT each time?

It depended on the injury and what doctor I saw. Three of my past doctors were big on PT to fix everything, the others not so much. The shortest was about six weeks, the longest almost six months.

Back