Looking to join Coast Guard

LizzieLizzard

Hi! I am Liz, I am 21, and I am looking to join the Coast Guard soon. I've been thinking about it since high school, and if I am going to do it, I need to do it soon.
I know that I have to lose 50lbs or 8% body weight before I can join. At least.
I am looking for advice. Advice from people who've done it before- USCG.

I am humbly asking your help. I've been actively seeking answers to questions for about 2 months now, can't get in contact with a recruiter- maybe has something to do with the fact that I live in Ohio.

I will be moving to CA. I have family there. I am just wondering if I should move first, and then join, or join first and then move.

I am wondering if I should do active or reserve. I know reservists only 'work' once a month. Is this the job that they sign up for, or is it something else?

I want to be a store keeper SK when I join. I know from other answers you have to have an asvab score of 60 to join, would it be higher for this sort of job? Are the coast guard even recruiting right now? Do they do sign-on bonuses like the Army?

If I am an active guard then would online school be out of the question?

What is active duty like?

What is reserve duty like?

What is basic training for Coast Guard like? Do you get paid for basic training?

I want to join one of the two before I turn 22. I turn 22 in November... do you think that it's possible, or feasible?

I appreciate any answers anyone can give me on these questions... I know that I will think up more as I go along.

Thank you for your time and have a great day!

Liz

Welcome.
There's a lot of information available in the Joining section of this forum including a lot of information on fitness as well.

Liz, I'm with the Australian Navy just returned from the Persian Gulf. I was surprised to see a US Coast Guard Clipper in service in the Gulf. Seeing its white hull near us was a surprise. I didn't think USCG served so far from home but just goes to show the broadness of their work and duty. I also got a chance to cross deck with that ship and she was a failrly old vessel but the complement were mostly content in the service. I wish you well.

Back