Lockheed Aims To Sell 500 F-35s In Asia Pacific

rock45

Even know less total platforms will be built compared to the F-16 because the the aircraft basically more capable in general terms. I do believe because of it's stealth and range it will be used as a cross weapons platform and not purely in the attack form.

Lockheed Aims To Sell 500 F-35s In Asia Pacific
February 19, 2008: 12:14 AM EST

SINGAPORE -(Dow Jones)- Lockheed Martin Corp. (LMT) aims to sell about 500 F- 35 aircraft to governments in the Asia-Pacific region during the life of the stealth fighter's production program, an executive said Tuesday.
"I think 500 is about right, plus or minus 50," Vice President for F-35 Business Development George Standridge told Dow Jones Newswires at the Singapore Airshow.
He said Lockheed Martin is in talks with four likely buyers, including Japan, South Korea, Australia, and Singapore.
The F-35 program may last through the launch of the sixth generation fighter in 2035, Standridge said.
The sales target suggests revenue from the Asia-Pacific region exceeding $20 billion, as initial orders from the U.S. government were priced at $45 million per plane in 2002.
Australia, one of the participating countries, has already signaled an intent to buy 100 F-35s, but the contract has yet to be signed.
The potential sales come in addition to over 2,000 aircraft due for delivery by 2025 to the U.S. military and eight other countries participating in the F-35 program.
The U.S. Air Force is expected to take delivery of the first F-25 in 2010, with the U.K., another program partner, receiving the first international order in 2011.
Countries outside of the F-35 program may receive aircraft as early as 2014.
Lockheed will focus on countries that are positioned to upgrade to the "fifth generation" aircraft from models such as the F-16, F-18, or the Harrier.
"The F-35 is the logical step," Standridge said.
The Japanese government - a major potential buyer - is still weighing the option of buying F-22s against an order of F-35s.
Standridge said Japan is "very interested" in the F-22, but Lockheed will continue to seek a sale of F-35s.
"We have begun to talk to the Japanese about the F-35," he said. "We believe it must be considered."

link
http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/djf500/200802190014DOWJONESDJONLINE000004_FORTUNE5.htm

Last edited:
it will be interesting to see if japan gets the f22. I take it other buyers would include south korea and maybe the phillipines and new zealand?

F-35

To date nobody getting the F-22 yet the Australians might down the road. I hope Japan doesn't since the let missile tech secrets get stolen by the Chinese. The article was talking about the F-35 basically a replacement for the F-16 and other aircraft as well. Philippines can't afford used F-16s so the F-35 is not possible for them. About New Zealand I don't know I thought they had older F-16s but I don't see them listed here:
http://www.airforce.mil.nz/about-us/aircraft/default.htm
South Korea and Japan aren't one of the current partners but as good allies I'm sure they would be able to purchase them at some point in the future. I have a feeling the F-35 is going to be much better then people think.
icon14.gif

The last time I knew South Korea had no plans to purchase the F-35 even though it would be logical that they do since their Air Force cannot be very big and so it'll have to make up for it through superior technology, not to mention, keep up with Japan who would buy F-22s the instant it becomes available.
Australia and Japan seem the only true guaranteed buyers of the F-35 but I think Singapore will look to own a squadron or two of it as well.

Back