Letters from Clarence F. Miller: Btry C 535th AAA Bn 1943 - 1945

pgwenthold

In looking through the box of letters my Dad sent to his folks while in Korea, I found a bunch of letters to my Grandma from a Clarence F. Miller, who was in Btry C 535th AAA Bn in WW2.

I have been working hard to figure out who he was, how he knew my Grandparents and who are any descendents. They may be interested in the letters.

However, I also thought I would share them with you all here, because there are some significant historical features. The 535th AAA landed at Utah on D-Day and fought in the Battle of the Bulge and was part of the liberation. In letters I have read, he refers marginally to the invasion of France, but has some very detailed descriptions of interactions with the Germans after the liberation.

In this thread, I am going to type up the letters I have, starting from the beginning. I hope you will enjoy the journey. I have not read them all, so together we can learn about him and his life, and hopefully we can discover where he is from and learn what he was like.

I can't promise how often I will be able to post, but I will keep trying. I will try to transcribe as close as possible to what he has written, typos and all, so if something seems not right, it might be my typo or it might just be what he wrote.

Don't hesitate to respond if you find something that catches your interest in whatever respect.

PVT Clarence F Miller
Btry D 55th AATng Bn
Camp Callan
California
US Army
Postmark: Camp Callan, Nov 4

Nov 3, 1942
Camp Callan
San Diego
Dear Friends
Well I don’t know to write to a stranger. In fact never heard of you folks that I can recall. But what are my mothers friends are my friends. I am ready to leave California anyway Camp Callan. I don’t know where but I hope it isn’t in the Desert. Mother would like to have me come home for Christmas. But I don’t think I can make it.
You asked me if I liked the Army well I don’t like it much. I would rather be on my old job driving truck and farming. I was on that job for 7 yrs. before the Army got me. But I think the sooner we get it over the better. I was in Iowa about twice last fall trucking corn from there. I like Iowa all right but Wisconsin better.
The weather is swell here it is warm in the day and cool at night. Sun Nov1 it was the hottest day while I have been here.
Well it is about time to go to bed so I will close for this time. Maybe I would now more by the next time.
As a friend
Pvt Clarence F Miller

[Paul's Comments: OK, we learn here that in fact, he didn't know my grandparents. However, his mother did. It sounds from this letter that he is from Wisconsin; we will hear references to Wisconsin again]

Last edited:
PFC Clarence F Miller
Btry C 535th Ca Bn (aW)
US Army
Camp Haan California
Postmark: Barstow California Mar 8
Mar 7, 1943
Camp Haan

Dear Friends
[FONT=&quot] Received you letter & was glad to hear from you. Well, there isn’t much news out here only it is windy & we have some bad sand storm & they are worse than any snow storm that I ever seen. I taught our tent was going to blow down & when we went to bed we had to cover up our head to keep the sand out of our face. It sure is tuff living in the Desert sand in your eats & water & the water has so much chlorine in it that it doesn’t tast good. But I guess we leave the desert this week starting tomorrow. I won’t be sorry but will take us all week to get back to Camp Haan. I will be a long ride & then sleeping on the ground. I sure hope your sons will never have to put up with army life anyway in war times it may be all right when there isn’t a war on. Well I suppose there is some braking weather there now it is about time. I sure would like to be back on the farm for spring work. I sure like the farm. But I guess it will be a whole before I get to see it. The Captain said that we would go across sometime in April so there isn’t much to look forward to for a while. Well I must close for now & Lots of lock to all of you. As a Friend, Clarence Miller

[Paul's Comments: He's switched from the 55th Btry D to the 535th and it looks like he got promoted to PFC since Nov; the writing in this letter is a lot poorer than in his other letters, I wonder if the desert just didn't get to him? He was hoping to not get sent to the desert, but alas...]
[/FONT]

PFC Clarence F. Miller
Btry C 535th Ca Bn (aW)
Camp Haan California
Postmark: Riverside, Calif Apr 3 1943
April 2, 1943
Camp Haan
Dear Friends
I received your letter about a week ago & the box of cookies this week thanks a lot for every thing the cookies was sure good & I want to thank you again. Yes we are back in Camp Haan & I guess we will go out there again for a few days. I suppose it will be hot. It sure is here in camp now. The grain and grass is about a foot high but it hasn’t rained for a long time so I suppose that will die with out rain. It never raings out here in the summer so most things that is raised is irrigated. This California would be a wonderful place if it would only rain in the summer.
Yes I am ready for a furlough but I don’t think any of us will get one. They were sure hard to get unless in case of death or sickness & I sure hope I won’t be called home for that. Mother has been sick once in a while but I think she is all right now. It is because I & Jeanette is away from home she worries I guess. I always write & tell her that she hasn’t any thing to worry about that I am all right and feeling good. You asked if Bill was still taching school yes he is till June. I hope he don’t go because mother will have more to worry about one of us is enough to be in the service I think. I am glad to hear that you haven’t any son in the army yet. Because I feel sorry for them to go throught the training. It is tuff. Well Friends I will have to go to night Gunner school so I will have to close. With lots of Good Luck to you all. A friend Clarence
I’ll send you a picture when I have some made

[Paul's Comments: Sounds like Bill and Jeanette are brother and sister]

They are interesting time capsules, clearly he really didn't want to be there.

I am rather intrigued by who he is writing to though.

They are interesting time capsules, clearly he really didn't want to be there.

Well, he was drafted, so that would not be a surprise.

I am rather intrigued by who he is writing to though.
Update on that matter: I figured out a ton last night. The key was that in one of the envelopes, I found a letter that his mother had sent to my grandma. In it, she refers to Bill and Jeanette and another brother Jim, but more importantly she mentioned their hometown, which was Neillsville, WI. Ironically, she didn't sign it so I didn't know her name.

From this lead, I found Jeanette's obituary, and that gave me their parents' names, including their mother's maiden name, which was Kessler.

That rings a bell for me, because I remember my dad mentioning over the years talking about the ancestors that "so and so was a Kessler." Unfortunately, I can't remember who that was. I looked up some family trees, and what I have found is that my grandma's aunt married a Kessler, However, I don't have any information on their children etc. My hypothesis is that Clarence's mother was my grandma's first cousin, and grandma, being the kind-hearted soul she was, heard her cousin's son was in the service and started writing to him. And sending him cookies.

With this information, I have been able to contact someone who might help me get in contact with the family. I've made substantial progress there.

I'll keep typing them up when I get a chance. I know the next couple are still from Camp Haan.

PFC Clarence F Miller
Btry C 535th CaR (aW)
Camp Haan
Postmark: Riverside, Calif May 17, 1943
May 15, 1943
Camp Haan
Dear Friends
I receive your welcome letter & sure was glad to hear from you again. I hope your boys will forgive me for not answering there letters. Tell them I have been in the Desert again last week so I didn’t have time to write. I’ll try to answer them as soon as I can. We don’t know what we are going to do now if we get shipped of not so it isn’t for sure what will happen. I sure would like to get a furlough before being shipped. I would be the happiest fellow that ever would be. I would like to see my folks and Girl Friend. We were planning on getting married last fall but the Army spoiled everything for us. So now I guess we will waite till the war is over. So I hope that will be soon not only for me but for all of us. I try to tell mother not to worry about us kids but she does anyway. That is why I want to see her. It would take me about 4 days and 3 nights. It makes it hard when so far from home. I sure hope your will never get into this. This world could be a peaceful world as well as this way if all people were like us. Well I suppose you are planting corn by this time. My Girl Friend is spending a few days with my folks & she said that Dad is getting ready to plant. So I suppose by now they are planting. Well friends there isn’t any more news here so I will close for now hoping this finds you in the best of health & Good Luck to you all.
As a friend
Clarence

[Paul's Comments: His first mention of his girlfriend. Her name was Marie Gall, from Milwaukee]

PFC Clarence Miller
Btry C 535th AAA
Auto. Wpns. Bn MBL
Postmark: Riverside, May 31 1943
[note: this letter is addressed to Mr. Raymond Wenthold, who is my uncle and was about 13 at the time]
May 29, 1943
Camp Haan
Dear Friends
Well I received your welcome letter & was glad to hear from you. Well I suppose school is out now & you are home on the farm. The farm is a swell place to be. I was working out since I was 14 years old. My folks didn’t need me so I worked out. I was in the big cities & on a lots of farms but I’ll take the farm any time. City life is all right for a week or so but one gets sick of it in a hurry. My last job I had was farming & trucking stock to Milwaukee & also hauling milk from farmers to a milk plant in Neillsville, Wisconsin. I sure wish I was back there on that job again. I get letters from my old boss & he said my job is still waiting when I come back. I worked for the same boss for 7 years. I am now 26 years old.
You said you got 3 ½ miles to walk to school. Well that is a good walk every day. I suppose you are tired when you get home. Say, do you ever see Eleanor Clave [Kleve] or don’t you know her? I met her when I was in Iowa in 1936 & also her folks. They are swell people. You aren’t far from Ossian are you? Do you see many planes around there? We sure have lots of them here just acrossed the road from our camp. They are flying day & night big Bombers and small ones. It is interesting to watch them. There is some good Pilots the way they handle them planes. We have to learn what each plane is by sight so we can tell them when we get across & also tanks. Well I don’t know any more news so I will close for now. I just had time enough to answer you letter. I’ll always try & answer as soon as I can. The best of luck to you Boys & write again soon.
As a friend
Clarence F. Miller

[Paul's Comment: Great letter, sent to Uncle Ray. Notice he mentions in his May 15 letter that he is getting letters from "the boys", so that's Ray. I don't know about any others. My Dad would be 11 at this time; he doesn't remember writing anything. Great discussion of training, including recognizing planes. Notice that he also has changed his return address, now indicating he is in the AAA; I don't know what the MBL is after the Bn; he mentions his hometown here, Neillsville. The Eleanor Kleve he mentions was my Grandma's younger sister, so would have been his mother's cousin and Ray's aunt; she was a couple years younger than Clarence, so when he came to visit in 1936, he would have been 19 - 20 and she would have been 16 or so. Her folks that he said were "swell people" were my Great-Grandparents, Barney and Therese Kleve. Uncle Ray grew up about 3 - 4 miles from Ossian, but that's not where he went to school (he walked to Festina)]

Last edited:
PFC Clarence F. Miller
Btry C 535th AAA
Auto. WpNs. Bn. MBL
Postmark: Riverside, CA may 31 1943
May 29, 1943
Camp Haan
Dear Friends
Received your welcome letter & also the letter from your boys, so this time I will answer theres to. I got so many to answer from my Friends back home that it keeps me busy writing when I have time. We weren’t so very busy this week but next week will be a busy week. We will have to learn to swim & a lots of jobs to do. I painted my truck this week that was a job any way under it was hard to get at. I was reading in the paper that there is a lot of rain back east and out here it hasn’t rained for about 3 months & it sure is dry and the ground is hard. The Farmers got there grain mostly cut & ready to thrash. It seems funny to me to see grain ready to be thrashed this time of the year. It was planted in Jan. Is your corn up yet? I hope your farmers have a good year. We need a lots of vegetables & crops for next winter. Can you folks buy tires there in Iowa? They are selling tires out here now most everyone has new ones now. I sure hope I will get a furlough so many Friends write and ask me when I am coming on one. They will give me a party when I do. Well no more news. So I will close & Good Luck to you all.
A Friend
Clarence

[Paul's Comments: everyone in CA has new tires, eh?]

I agree and the fact that he writes as he speaks makes them interesting reads.

My Dad's letters are very similar in that respect. There are a few words you can see where spelling is an issue and I've not corrected for it, to give you a sense of what's there.

Check this link that someone else sent me:
http://www.wiclarkcountyhistory.org/4data/83/83841.htm

From the 1940 Census, it lists Clarence as a hired hand for George Foelsch, who was the president of the Dairy Belt Cheese Co. Inc.

1940 Federal Census, Beaver Town, Clark, Wisconsin, United States, District: 10-2, Family 140, Line 4

Margaret Foelsch, white married female
Last Place of Residence: Same House

Household Members
Head George Foelsch M 36 (1904) Germany
Wife Margaret Foelsch F 31 Wisconsin
Son George Foelsch M 8 (1932) Wisconsin
Hired hand Edward Miller M 27 Wisconsin
Hired hand Clarence Miller M 25 Wisconsin

If you go back to page 1 and read his letter to Uncle Ray, he says that he has been hauling milk, and refers to the boss who promised him his job back. It seems that that would be George Foelsch.

It's been cool how I've gone from knowing almost nothing to knowing a whole bunch in a short time. Hopefully, some will be able to provide more thoughts on his military career when we get there and get out of Camp Haan.

The next letter is while on maneuvers in Tennessee, I think, so we'll see what he has to say about that.

Last edited:
PFC Clarence F. Miller
Btry C 535th AAA Wpns. Bn. Mbl.
APO 402
Post M???
Nashville, Tennessee
July 24, 1943
Tennessee
Maneuvers
(Stationery)
Nashville Army Air Center
[FONT=&quot](A. [/FONT]A. F. C. C.)
Thompson Lane, Nashville, Tenn.
Dear Friends
Well I have a few minutes to write a letter. I am sorry I kept you waiting for this letter. I am now in Tennessee on maneuvers from Camp Haan California. We went to Camp Atterbury Indiana. From there we came down here in Tennessee on maneuvers for 2 months so I suppose it will last until about till the first of Sept. It sure is a rough and tought life . Some of the Boys are sick & in the hospital from the water & Heat. It is Really hot down here. While I was in Indiana I got a 3 day leave & I went home. I stoped in Milwaukee and got my Girl friend & we surprised the folks at hom. We didn’t let them know we were coming. We enjoyed our selfs while we were there sure was good to see Home again. It may be a long time. Well I suppose you are all busy with the hay and the rest of the crops. My folks haven’t started with the hay yet when I was home but I got a letter from Mother & she said that they have started now. Dad has just the two youngest boys left at home. I hear that Bill and Jim are in the Army now. I feel sorry for them. They sure have to put up with a lot of hard days ahead, but I don’t think they will have to go across. I may go but they won’t unless the war last longer than I think. That makes 3 of us in service. I know Mother worries a lot but it can’t be helped.
Well I don’t know any more news so I must close & wishing the best of luck to you all.
As a friend
Clarence
Miller

[this is a letter that from Clarence’s mother Louise to my Grandma that was tucked in with one of the other letters from Clarence]
Neillsville Wis
Dec 20, 1943
Dear Maggie
Resd your most welcome letter. Please excuse me for not writing sooner we are all ok as yet and hope you are all the same. We are still having nice weather. How many boys have you in the Army? We have two boys in. Clarence is in North Carolina and Bill in Madison, Wisconsin and James is going in March some time he is 18 years old. Bill was home too day for one our and sure was glad to get home and he sure is looking good. He is trying to be home for Christmas. Jeanette is married and is Lornita California but she may come back to Wisconsin in January. Her husband is going across. Our oldest girl and Family is living in Neillsville they have 4 children. Our family is getting quite smaller. We have one boy that James hauling milk near Christe Wis and Francis and Donald going to St Mary’s school Neillsville. Carl Clara and family is getting along quite well and so is John and Frank Kessler. Clarence is having a girl friend in Milwaukee she sure is a nice kid. Her name is Marie Gall. Well it is getting late so must close for to night. I am sending Clarence address and wishing you all a Merry Christmas
Happy New Year
Best gards to all down there answer soon

I am somewhat amazed that such mundane aspects of like such as cropping and hay making are such interesting reads.

It is interesting to see how aware of events he is with limited information compared to today's generation that has the world at their fingertips and couldn't tell you who their neighbours are.

??? Clarence F. Miller
Btry C 535th AAA Wpns Bn.
Camp Davis
North Carolina
Postmark: Camp Davis Jan 17, 1944
Jan 15, 1944
Camp Davis
North Carolina
Dear Friends
I received your welcome letter yesterday so I will answer now. It has been a long time since I heard from you & I taught you were to busy to write, because I know what the farm is like.
Yes, I have moved a quiet a few more miles but the Army is full of moves & travel.
You asked what I was doing in Carolina. Well I am doing the same as I alway was driving jeep and trucks. I sure get my share of driving on Tennessee maneuvers I drove 10000 miless.
You asked about the winter. Well we had a little snow & some cold weather, but the cold is gone & so is the snow, but we sure get a lot of rain.
I am glad to hear that your crops all turned out good. Farming is interesting when crops are good & lots of feed.
I been lucky not to have the flew this year but there were a lot of fellows that the start of it.
Well I had a furlough in Oct. Gee it was sure swell to get home & go out with friends and drink a few beers with them. The time sure does go fast when on a furlough but I had a week at home & four days with my girlfriend folks. Marie’s boss gave her as many days off as I had so she went with me to my folks for a week. We sure had a good time. I guess we were invited out for dinners & suppers every day while I was home.
You asked how Marie was well she had the flue for awhile but she is over it now & is back to work again.
Well I haven’t any more news so I will close. Hopeing you all the best of luck.
As a friend
Clarence

[Paul's Comments: As his mother indicated in her letter, he is now in North Carolina; the envelope is torn in the corner so I can't see his rank on this one.

Cpl. Clarence F. Miller
Btry C 535th AAA Wpns Bn
Apo 9569
Of Postmaster
New York, New York
Postmark: US Postal Service No. 1, Feb 9, 1944
Passed by US Army Examiner 31657

Feb 8, 1944
Dear Friends
I received your letter so I will answer it tonight. I can’t write much because I haven’t the time.
Well I see by your letter you have had a nice winter so far. I hope it keeps up don’t you? It must seem good to be able to get around & not shovel snow.
How is everyone around there? I hope you are all well. How is your mother Mrs. Cleve? I remember having supper there one night. Len & I and Eleanor she was working in Calmar Iowa then. I don’t know just how long ago it been but it 4 or 5 years. It was in the winter when I was there & it sure was cold & about 2 yrs after I & and a pal of mine were in Iowa for a visit. I stayed with Paul Elpert & his Dad a few days. I like the State of Iowa but Wisconsin better. Say were you up in Wisconsin when Grandpa Kessler was buried? I may have seen you there & don’t remember of seeing you. Well we may meet some day & get to know one another.
Well I must close for this time the best of luck to you all & tell Eleanor and her mother hello from me.
A friend
Clarence
PS My New address is on the envelope

[Paul's Comments: This letter shows that he has definitely been promoted to corporal. This letter is great because he refers to his Grandpa Kessler's funeral. Here is the obituary for Carl L. Kessler

http://www.usgennet.org/usa/wi/county/clark/1data/24/24358.htm

It lists the out of town guests, including Mr. and Mrs. Barney Clave (Kleve, the "Mrs. Cleve" in this letter) and their daughter Eleanor. Eleanor would be a sister to my grandma, so according to the obituary, Grandma did not attend the funeral. However, my Dad remembers Grandma going to Neilsville when he was little - he would have been 4 at the time - and he thought it was for a funeral. Clarence says he stayed in Iowa 4-5 years ago, so around 1940. I don't know who Len is right now. According to his grandmother's obituary

http://www.usgennet.org/usa/wi/county/clark/1data/37/37032.htm

Paul Elpert is his cousin; I'm pretty sure his father is Ben Elpert, who's wife Tracey was Clarence's aunt. Ben Elpert was living in Festina, IA at the time.

Note that this is the first letter going through an inspector, #31567. The signature looks to say Lt. McHughes, but I can't be sure. Notice also that he doesn't indicate from where he is writing. He is generally very good about that. ]

Last edited:
Cpl. Clarence F. Miller
Btry C 535th AAA Wpns Bn
APO 230
Of Postmaster
New York, NY
Postmark: US Army Postal Service Mar 6, 1944
Passed by US Army Examiner: 31657 (handwritten Lt McHughes, maybe?)
Mar 5, 1944
England
Dear Friends
I received your letter the 1st of March, so you know it takes a long time before I get my mail. It sure seems to take a long time befor the mail gets her. I sure miss it a lot when it takes so long to get here.
I am now in England & it sure is cold her we can’t get much wood or coal to warm up by. Most of the men have a bad cold now any way I have but I am trying to doctor it up. We may get used to the climate if we stay long enough. I sure hope we can get this thing over with soon so we all can go back to home. It sure will be one happy day for all of us. The way things are the young fellows haven’t a thing to look forward to any way till it is over.
Well we landed without any trouble it was a long & tiresome ride & we sure were all glad when we got here. Well I haven’t any more time so I will close hoping you all the best of luck.
A Friend
Clarence M.

[Paul's Comment: Now he's in England. We know now what he's doing there, but note that at the time, no one did.]

Cpl. Clarence F. Miller
Btry C 535th AAA (AW) Bn
APO 230
Of Postermaster
New York, NY
Postmark: US Army Postal Service AP 305 Apr 4, 1944
Passed by US Army Examiner: 31657 (handwritten Lt McHughes, maybe?)
Apr 2,1944
England
Dear Friends
I received your letter& Easter card & was glad to get them. A week from today is Easter Sunday. I sure wish I was home to enjoy it but maybe next year I will anyway I hope so.
Well I suppose you are looking forward to springs work that is one thing a farmer always has is a lot of work. I would enjoy that work if I were out of the Army. I always liked farming. I like most any kind of work but not in the Army.
Well I just got through washing clothes & sewing, the only time I get caught up is on Sunday & then some times we work Sundays. I should be a housekeeper when I get out of here.
The fellows may go at washing the hard way but they get clean.
Well how are all of you there at your home?
I hope you are all well & able to get around.
I am feeling better, I got my cold about checked it is hard to get rid of colds here because the climate is damp and cold.
I told my folks to send me some Vicks that is about the only thing that breaks up a cold for me.
Well I must close for now it is getting late. I hope you all the best of luck & and enjoyable Easter.
A friend
Clarence

Back