Least Religious Countries (list)

Infern0

Banned
interesting list..

Least Religious Countries
Posted Aug 23rd 2007 12:15PM by Iva Skoch | http://www.gadling.com/2007/08/23/least-religious-countries/

When you travel to Europe , don't be surprised to find that many Europeans don't believe in God. I have even witnessed some alcohol-infused conversations between Americans and Europeans that almost ended in fist fights over His/Her existence. When you travel to the following countries, you might want to pick a less controversial topic of conversation...umm, maybe George W?

Here is the Top 10 least religious countries in the world:

1. Sweden (up to 85% non-believer, atheist, agnostic)
2. Vietnam
3. Denmark
4. Norway
5. Japan
6. Czech Republic
7. Finland
8. France
9. South Korea
10. Estonia (up to 49% non-believer, atheist, agnostic)

The one that surprised me was Israel, ranking 19th, with up to 37% claiming to be non-believer, atheist, agnostic. Compare that with the US, ranking 44th, with 3-9% non-believers, atheists, agnostics. (I think I have met them all on the streets of New York City , too.)

The survey concluded that "high levels of organic atheism are strongly correlated with high levels of societal health, such as low homicide rates, low poverty rates, low infant mortality rates, and low illiteracy rates, as well as high levels of educational attainment, per capita income, and gender equality. Most nations characterized by high degrees of individual and societal security have the highest rates of organic atheism, and conversely, nations characterized by low degrees of individual and societal security have the lowest rates of organic atheism. In some societies, particularly Europe , atheism is growing. However, throughout much of the world – particularly nations with high birth rates – atheism is barely discernable."

Well, I'm Catholic and I know that the Good Lord is there and watching me. I guess that means I wont see as many Swedish Blond Snow Bunnies in the afterlife.

Well, I'm Catholic and I know that the Good Lord is there and watching me. I guess that means I wont see as many Swedish Blond Snow Bunnies in the afterlife.

Well its an interesting choice an eternity with you or the Swedish Bikini Team... well at least I will be warm.

:p

Where's North Korea and Cuba?

LOL

Well ones crappy mountain range near China and the other is a small island off the coast of Florida but thats not important right now.

Oh and North Korea is 33rd on the list and Cuba is 49th.

Last edited:
It's unbelieveable....

I think their conclusions are a little iffy and I am not sure that combining non-believers with agnostics is a very accurate method after all agnostics don't rule out there being a god.

But I will refrain from saying that its unbelievable until I have read more of it.

I think their conclusions are a little iffy and I am not sure that combining non-believers with agnostics is a very accurate method after all agnostics don't rule out there being a god.

But I will refrain from saying that its unbelievable until I have read more of it.

And.... here in the USA I see half filled and some near empty Chruch Parking Lots on Sunday.... a lot of them.

Asking someone on the Phone if they believe in a god or if they consider themselves "religious" is different than having people who follow the Tenets of the Religion.

And.... here in the USA I see half filled and some near empty Chruch Parking Lots on Sunday.... a lot of them.

Asking someone on the Phone if they believe in a god or if they consider themselves "religious" is different than having people who follow the Tenets of the Religion.

Very true, many who go to church every Sunday/Saturday (whatever) are more interested in being seen to be religious, whereas some of those who do not attend are actually better adherents of their chosen beliefs.

Some people just work better without supervision.

Of course you can't believe the North Korean data.
Religion is outlawed in North Korea and the only ideology they are allowed to, in fact, it is mandatory that they believe in Juche. Juche isn't just a political system. It is a religion where people practically worship Kim Jong-il as their god.
So 33% Can't be it.
North Korea should technically be at the bottom of the list with 100% official adherents.
I also believe that South Korea's data may be wrong as well. You won't find more churches per square mile than in Seoul... and practically half the country lives in the Seoul metropolitan area. South Korea is an extremely religious country. I don't like HOW they go about being religious though because any spirit of Christianity is almost all gone and it's just a social network place now where people struggle for power and make connections. Either way, there should be more official adherents.

I wouldn't really doubt Cuba's number on the list...Honestly, have you ever met any kind of Hispanic who WASN'T strictly religious?

Some people just work better without supervision.

Seems to be the way things are supposed to run.....

Saint Matthew
Chapter 6

1 "(But) take care not to perform righteous deeds in order that people may see them; otherwise, you will have no recompense from your heavenly Father.

2 When you give alms, do not blow a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets to win the praise of others. Amen, I say to you, they have received their reward.

3 But when you give alms, do not let your left hand know what your right is doing,

4 so that your almsgiving may be secret. And your Father who sees in secret will repay you.

5 "When you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, who love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on street corners so that others may see them. Amen, I say to you, they have received their reward.

6 But when you pray, go to your inner room, close the door, and pray to your Father in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will repay you.

7 In praying, do not babble like the pagans, who think that they will be heard because of their many words.

8 Do not be like them. Your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

LAWL Down South (Texas, lausiana, arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama) IS where the Church goes Are, The parking lots are always packed. Hell Down the street I hear the Sunday Revival get going and all you hear for 3 hours is something that sounds like a Coutnry Shin-dig :spam2:

I just Googled for info on religion. One of the more thought provoking items I found was a quote allegedly attributed to Napoleon Bonaparte.

"Religion is all that prevents the poor from killing the rich"

Is this reduction in religious observance a sign that the poor are waking up?

I dunno, I feel that the "poor" are certainly becoming more aware of their plight. e.g. When someone comes home from doing heavy manual labour all day for barely enough to keep the wolf from the door, only to hear on the news that some overpriced executive who has just sent another company to the wall, ruining thousands of "Mum and Dad" investors, has been paid out millions of dollars because they had to terminate his contract early?

A whole new can of worms.

Last edited:
Seems to be the way things are supposed to run.....

Saint Matthew
Chapter 6

1 "(But) take care not to perform righteous deeds in order that people may see them; otherwise, you will have no recompense from your heavenly Father.

2 When you give alms, do not blow a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets to win the praise of others. Amen, I say to you, they have received their reward.

3 But when you give alms, do not let your left hand know what your right is doing,

4 so that your almsgiving may be secret. And your Father who sees in secret will repay you.

5 "When you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, who love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on street corners so that others may see them. Amen, I say to you, they have received their reward.

6 But when you pray, go to your inner room, close the door, and pray to your Father in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will repay you.

7 In praying, do not babble like the pagans, who think that they will be heard because of their many words.

8 Do not be like them. Your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

I'm not even vaguely religious, but I must say that I like old Matt's line of thinking. Go Matt!!!

It's interesting that scandinavian and northern European countries nearly fill the top of the list. Was the survey taken before or after the chernobyl cloud infected the food-chain? :shoothea:

Israel, ranking 19th, with up to 37% claiming to be non-believer, atheist, agnostic.

Yes it is, like many believe the IDF are mostly Jews which is not the case.

Anyway religion I think has claimed to many lives for god to be happy with it.

And the holy ground they fight over in the ME, you kinda wonder how much more blood it requires before it becomes unholy. :neutral:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/14/AR2007091402199.html

Apparently, 1 in 11 Americans are also atheist/agnostic. Where would that put us on the list?

And agnostics and atheists were rated below Muslims, immigrants, and minorities when people were asked if they "share the vision of American society." I'm glad I live in a tolerant area, because I'm avowedly agnostic and will be until I see evidence proving that there is or is not a deity.

I was surprised not to see North Korea up top but then I relized they aren't atheist they are either forced to accept a religion or they believe that that damn KIM is god.

I was amazed at a story I saw ( I want to say CNN) where a jounalist went undercover with a eye docter sent to cure people blindness in N.K. with simple cornea transplants and when they could see again they worshiped KIM like he was a god placing all the gratitude on him for their sight. It was truly disgusting

Back