The Lavi

benaakatz

How good was this planned-Israeli fighter for its time? How would it have stacked up to the F-15, the F-16, the Su-27, and the Mig-29?

Apparently Israel canceled it because of the projected final cost and american pressure due to the fact that it'd compete with american aircraft on the export market.

Do you think Israel made the right decision to cancel the project, or should it have gone ahead and produced its own indigenous fighter? :visor:

Lavi was better then F-16 (at his time)
Lavi cheaper then F-16

So American government understood that F-16 is not match to Lavi
and that was the reason LAVI was canceled because of american pressure
If Israel keep produce Lavi then America wasn't support Israel millitary
so it was good decesion.

secretly Lavi's schems sold to china in a very cheap price just for pay a workers their money
http://images.google.ru/imgres?imgurl=http://www.aerospaceweb.org/aircraft/fighter/lavi/lavi_07.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.aerospaceweb.org/aircraft/fighter/lavi/&usg=__g7BwmDkq08cNPpeA7KNqGIWf-1s=&h=286&w=550&sz=30&hl=ru&start=8&um=1&tbnid=i3mkTyrHN-EzEM:&tbnh=69&tbnw=133&prev=/images%3Fq%3DLavi%26hl%3Dru%26lr%3D%26um%3D1%26newwindow%3D1

http://www.weeklystandard.com/weblogs/TWSFP/J10A.jpg

can you see a lot of differnce btween both of them ?? exept the radiator?

But in my opinnion it is very sad that lavi went to museum :(

Last edited:
I think it wouldnt have been to the higher standards of a Su-27 or F-16. Probably a cost-effective choice for neutral countries.

I think it wouldnt have been to the higher standards of a Su-27 or F-16. Probably a cost-effective choice for neutral countries.

Ok so
1st you can not compare F-16 to Su-27
2nd you can not compare Lavi to Su-27
3rd you supposed not to compare Lavi to F-16

Lavi was made to replace Kfir (Israeli version of Mirage)
you should compare Lavi to Mirage
But Lavi was very succed so it got the same STATS as F-16
and was lighter then F-16

And remmember to compare Lavi to F-16 of IT'S time

And after all of that make your own decision (btw don't even compare Lavi to MiG-29:-D).
:sniper:

Ok so
1st you can not compare F-16 to Su-27
2nd you can not compare Lavi to Su-27
3rd you supposed not to compare Lavi to F-16

Lavi was made to replace Kfir (Israeli version of Mirage)
you should compare Lavi to Mirage
But Lavi was very succed so it got the same STATS as F-16
and was lighter then F-16

And remmember to compare Lavi to F-16 of IT'S time

And after all of that make your own decision (btw don't even compare Lavi to MiG-29:-D).
:sniper:

wtf? Why shouldnt we compare them? All 3 of them have the same goal: To acheive air superiority. With the exception of the Sukhoi. They can attack ground/naval targets aswell.

Sure, though, the Su-27 would rip a F-16 to shreds, so I guess we cant compare them :roll:

If the Lavi shouldnt be comparable to any of those aircraft, what should we compare it with? A P-51?

wtf? Why shouldnt we compare them? All 3 of them have the same goal: To acheive air superiority. With the exception of the Sukhoi. They can attack ground/naval targets aswell.

Sure, though, the Su-27 would rip a F-16 to shreds, so I guess we cant compare them :roll:

If the Lavi shouldnt be comparable to any of those aircraft, what should we compare it with? A P-51?

No you had to compare Lavi to the Mirage (optional F-16 of it's TIME )
that means not the F-16 of today .. F-16 of 1980's (huge diference)

to compare Su 27 to F 16 is like to compare Merkava to Frigate

there is a classifications of the air units !!
and you should compare them regard to their classification.

it is like to compare Su-27 to F15 (they have the same class)
or like to compare spitfire with Bf-109

can you see the difference??
you cannot say that spitfire was better then B-17
or to say MBT is better then APC
because these are not in same class

:drunkb:

Last edited:
Had the Lavi been produced do you think we would have seen it flying with the South African Air Force as a replacement for their early Mirages?

Had the Lavi been produced do you think we would have seen it flying with the South African Air Force as a replacement for their early Mirages?

emm I think 60%| that South America would be very interested ...
but if american would aprove the project so .. I think they were abandod to export it ..
well we can't know about

Last edited:

As far as I am aware South Africa has bought the Gripen and the Hawk.

The problem is, they dont have that many pilots or mechs to fly and maintain them:-

Cape Town - The SA Air Force has lost 91 pilots and 822 technicians since 2005, according to Defence Minister Mosiuoa Lekota.

In a written reply to a question in the National Assembly, he said financial imperatives were among the main reasons for personnel leaving the SAAF.

"White members have a perception that there are limited career opportunities within the organisation.

"This prompts them to seek other opportunities elsewhere, moreover for remuneration packages far beyond what the SAAF can offer to retain skills," Lekota said.

Since the latter part of 2007 the SAAF had experienced a number of its members seeking employment abroad.

More qualified, skilled personnel

It was not necessarily foreign employment agencies' recruitment drives that caused personnel to leave the SAAF, because many of the resignations were linked to contact with colleagues who were already abroad and employed by companies or organisations that were in search of more qualified and skilled personnel.

Such resignations were often prompted by various personal reasons such as immediate citizenship, extended flying careers in the case of aircrew and other perceived advantages such as low crime and a good standard of living, Lekota said.

The SAAF currently had only 20 operational fighter pilots, of which two were black, male pilots and one a white female.

There were four trainee fighter pilots of which two were black males.

Air Force collapsing

Altogether 123 pilots were currently under training in the SAAF.

Commenting on the reply, Freedom Front Plus spokesperson Pieter Groenewald said it was clear the Air Force was collapsing.

"Apart from the concern about the pilots, the true crisis is the huge number of technicians that have been lost," he said.

Aircraft cannot be maintained without technicians.

The old Lavi is the new Chinese J-10 (more or less), since the J-10 is based on Lavi's blueprint, and some Israelis helped the Chinese to build it.
J-10's avionic, armament, engine etc are not the same as the old LAVI, everything is brand new so it'll kick some F-16 Block 52 ass, depending on the pilot of course.. :D

The old Lavi is the new Chinese J-10 (more or less), since the J-10 is based on Lavi's blueprint, and some Israelis helped the Chinese to build it.
J-10's avionic, armament, engine etc are not the same as the old LAVI, everything is brand new so it'll kick some F-16 Block 52 ass, depending on the pilot of course.. :D

If I am not wrong they using russian engine and updated avionics offcourse so much years passed after Lavi ..

If I am not wrong they using russian engine and updated avionics offcourse so much years passed after Lavi ..
Yea, equipped with a digital quadruplex-redundant fly-by-wire flight control system, the J-10 is powered by a single Russian Lyulka-Saturn AL-31FN turbofan engine, but it's expected to be replaced with a locally built WS-10A (WoShan-10A) Taihang turbofan, and a variant with thrust vectoring nozzle is also in testing.
J-10 is has a planar array radar and is capable of tracking 10 targets. 2 can be engaged simultaneously with semi-active radar homing missiles or 4 can be engaged with active radar homing missiles.

As I say, it'll gonna kick some big asses out there.. :D

I gather the Chinese J-10 development of the Lavi has only 800nm range so we are talking a rival to the F-16, Rafael, Gripen, Eurofighter etc. More of an area defence interceptor than an air superiority aircraft.

I understand in China it has the Python 4 helmet sighted I/R SRAAM. Unlikely to have BVR capability but likely good at close quarters.

Back