latest developements in air to air missile guidance tech.

raheel_shaukat

what are the lastest air to air missile guidance technologies? is ir guidance better than radar guidance?

also i think python 5 is the best aam at present. what are ur views gentlemen?

I agree. Radar guidance is better in my opinion. If one were to shoot an IR missle at, say, an F117, it would not work at all because of the cooling design of the fans. But if one were close enough to have the F117 register on the radar(it does register at close ranges), an older AIM 7 could easily do the trick.

Yes, but how often dose one find himself with a F117 on his sights? The Python 5 is supose to be the best close range AAM right now.

In my opinion, they should screw all those hightech jets/planes.

Go back to the good old Spitfires, Messerschmitt, Junkers, Hurricanes & Mustangs. Back then it was more "honorable" dogfights they had up in the air. No fancy Radar-Guidance-System to control the wildfiring bullets. :biggun:

.. but that's just my opinion :D

Most air to air have at least two guidance modes, and some more. If one lock is broken, it can switch to an alternate mode such as fire and forget. Anything other than line of sight (RF) and IR modes are classified. There has to be a backup in case of decoy evasion tactics.

ENRG said:

Go back to the good old Spitfires, Messerschmitt, Junkers, Hurricanes & Mustangs. Back then it was more "honorable" dogfights they had up in the air. No fancy Radar-Guidance-System to control the wildfiring bullets. :biggun:

aaahh yes, those good ole days of dog fighting. the only problem is there would be a lot more casualties and more equipment to have to build. it's a lot cheaper to shoot down another plane with a $10k missile than throw a multi million dollar jet into a dog fight. but i definetly see where you're coming from. those were the "good ole days."

I would say probably the "fire and forget" system developed for the hellfire missles in the Comanche program.

Remember to make the fight as unfair as possible... as unfair to the enemy that is.

ENRG said:

Back