The last two Lancaster's flying in formation

I expect one day there will be a few more in the air as there are several airworthy frames still around:
France has one under restoration.
One more in the UK being restored to airworthy condition.
One in the USA awaiting restoration
One in New Zealand that is apparently capable of being made airworthy although when I saw it I had my doubts.

I'd love to see an airworthy Wellington and Halifax, two aircraft that also did their bit in Bomber Command.

I'd love to see an airworthy Wellington and Halifax, two aircraft that also did their bit in Bomber Command.

Very nice video!

You know Brit I thought they produced more than ~ 750 Lancaster's. What other heavy bomber did the British produce in quantity?

The US produced nearly 13 thousand B-17's and 24 thousand B-24's

Very nice video!

You know Brit I thought they produced more than ~ 750 Lancaster's. What other heavy bomber did the British produce in quantity?

The US produced nearly 13 thousand B-17's and 24 thousand B-24's

They built a lot more than 750 of them, almost ten times that number were built ~7400

They also built:
- 6200 Halifax's.
- 2400 Short Stirlings.

Plus tens of thousands of light and medium bombers.

They built a lot more than 750 of them, almost ten times that number were built ~7400

They also built:
- 6200 Halifax's.
- 2400 Short Stirlings.

Plus tens of thousands of light and medium bombers.

I thought the video said ~ 750 were built, which seemed a bit low since it was Britain's most significant bomber.

At 23 seconds he says "seventy three hundred and seventy seven built and only two left flying in the world".

Many years ago when I was in the RAF, I was driving the station commander and his wife to a function at another RAF Station. As I approached the main gate, the City of Lincoln the British built Lancaster flew across the road right in front of me on finals, with her wheels and flaps down. It was an amazing sight.

The Halifax was a very good aircraft, according to many aircrew the Stirling was no where as good as either the Lanc or the Halifax.

As a matter of interest, the designer of the Halifax had a hand in designing London Transports original Routemaster bus.

Last edited:
Back