Korean artillery exchange rises tensions

perseus

Artillery fire on Korean border

_50106168_jex_876927_de27.jpg

Houses on the island are said to be on fire after the artillery exchange
Continue reading the main story

South Korea says it has returned fire after North Korea fired around 200 artillery shells onto one of its border islands, reportedly killing one marine.

The South's military was placed on its highest non-wartime alert after the shells landed on Yeonpyeong island.

North Korea has not yet commented on the incident, in which three marines and two civilians were also injured.

Correspondents say this is one of the most serious since the the Korean War ended without a peace treaty in 1953.

South Korean presidential spokesman Kim Hee-jung also said it was investigating a possible link between the artillery attack and recent maritime exercises near the western sea border earlier on Tuesday

North Korea seems to be wishing for a death sentence. Dangerous political play, if that is what it is.

If the NK leaders were smart they could just short the SK stock exchange before firing, then buy up and say 'sorry'.

Last edited:
I knew this would happen. The South's response to the CHEONAN sinking was that of muted restraint which merely emboldened the North. The North discovered it could get away with murder (literally!) and therefore continues to push the envelope in order to garner international attention and make additional demands.

I am not a big fan of war, but I cannot help but wonder how much a better place the world would be if North Korea simply ceased to exist. Not the destruction of the country just enough to oust the regime.

We are talking about a country whose sole exports is death: drugs, terrorism and arms smuggling. The real beneficiary of eliminating the Norths nutty leadership would of course be the North Korean people, whose been under their heel for the past 70 years.

The only real issue on such a question would be what would China's response be? This is 1953, both the Chinese and Russians have had enough of the North.

Is there any info regarding what provoked this? Unlike the Cheonan, the North Koreans cant deny this one. And I bet they wont be too pleased that the South Koreans fired back.

EDIT: Apparently it was because South Korea was performing military exercises, but the South has said that the munitions were being fired to the west, not the north.

Last edited:
Is there any info regarding what provoked this? Unlike the Cheonan, the North Koreans cant deny this one. And I bet they wont be too pleased that the South Koreans fired back.

EDIT: Apparently it was because South Korea was performing military exercises, but the South has said that the munitions were being fired to the west, not the north.

I think you are mistaken on both counts.

The North Korea DO (and still do) deny involvement with the CHEONAN and I am sure they were pleased the South Koreans responded. Why? Looks whats the breaking story today. North Korea wants to be front page news, because they think that the more trouble they make the stronger their negotiating position is.

The artillery exercise from the South Korean side was very routine.
The North Koreans did this because they simply needed to attack.
The proper response to the Cheonan would have been to sink the entire North Korean Navy.
200+ rounds fired by the North Koreans is probably the correct figure.
80+ rounds fired by South Korea is probably the correct figure.

well on "political" analysis mentioned "routine exercise" could have been "provocation" and by the looks of it, gain... : " who needs brains, when muscle's are big..."
It will end up badly for one or both sides as NK is gaining internal need for war / justification for smoother Leadership handover

Remember power is moving towards the younger Kim Jong-un. He might be trying to assert authority and impress others with his 'accomplishments'.

It's the most likely scenario at this point it seems.
Tie that in with the hunger in the North. If he manages to get them food by doing this sort of thing, imagine the sort of reputation he would earn.

They've changed their tactics from the past.

This is going to keep happening until something is finally done about the Norths leadership. They are clearly making a mockery of modern day society and the sensibilities we live by. They lob rounds into civilian towns like they are playing a ****in video game. The average NK civilian is starving to death while the leadership is re-enacting Holywood movies. Pathetic.... Kim's son promoted to 4 star general with no prior military service????? Are you ****ing kidding me? That just shows how far out of the realm of reality that these idiots truly are. SK is being held hostage by a bunch of over grown punk ass kids.

"Daddy, daddy, I want to be a General!"

Sh1t happens.
This is what happens when you have leftist communist c-cksuckers running the country for the past 10 years. Good thing both those ex-Presidents are dead. But we're still here and we continue to pay the price.

Sh1t happens.
This is what happens when you have leftist communist c-cksuckers running the country for the past 10 years. Good thing both those ex-Presidents are dead. But we're still here and we continue to pay the price.

You do realize that North Korea is far from Communist/leftist? Just because they say they are doesn't mean they are, just like the Soviet Union. They are just a authoritarian bureaucracy.

http://itn.co.uk/f7c9c1431a18115a7425508bea90c2d1.html
US send nuclear aircraft carrier to Korea

Wed Nov 24 2010 08:54:05

A US nuclear aircraft carrier is en route to South
Korea to carry out scheduled war games in a show of force against North Korea.

The nuclear-powered USS George Washington, which carries
75 warplanes and has a crew of over 6,000, left a naval base south of
Tokyo on Wednesday morning to join planned joint exercises with South Korea.

The decision to send the aircraft carrier comes less than 24 hours after North
Korea shelled South Korean island of Yeonpeyong, killing two marines.

The attack attracted a wave of international condemnation for what the White
House described as an "outrageous act" of provocation.

President Barack Obama and his South Korean counterpart Lee Myung-bak agreed to
hold the joint military exercises following a telephone conversation in which the US
reiterated its security guarantees to Seoul.
http://itn.co.uk/story37cf7b31a69f9aaee322818658030ebb.jpg
The controversial exercises in the Yellow Sea, already postponed once after
objections from China last August, could raise the stakes further on the tense Korean peninsula.

"This exercise is defensive in nature," US Forces Korea said in a statement. "While
planned well before yesterday's unprovoked artillery attack, it demonstrates the
strength of the ROK (South Korea)-US alliance and our commitment to regional stability
through deterrence."
also, @ stealthy- you are wrong!- they call themself democratic people&%^$**- really it
is last of communist states

Last edited:
You do realize that North Korea is far from Communist/leftist? Just because they say they are doesn't mean they are, just like the Soviet Union. They are just a authoritarian bureaucracy.

Doesn't matter.
It's the ones in the South that are the problem. And there are Communist / leftists there. This is why Communism was previously BANNED in South Korea. Thanks to Democracy, this is no longer the case.
They have been peddling this "they are our brothers" b******t for too long. They painted the North Koreans in a good light, all the while the North Koreans were able to strengthen their position.
I am actually upset that those two Presidents are dead. I wish they were here right now to see the sort of sh1t their policies have done. Actually no, they'd blame it on America and the current President somehow and f*cktards would actually believe them.

Haven't spent the last two days reading the posts I do get a great sense of hatred to communism and North Korean ideas. lol.

For me the worst thing about all of this is that their own people have no idea what happens outside of North Korea. And the worst of it is they will be receiving news reports saying that South Korea attacked them ect. When North Korea does crumble what will these people's reactions or lifestyle's be? It's too gruesome for me to consider.

Last edited:
Back