Kid suspended for eating ham sandwich

We're not sending anyone back for not abandoning their culture.
We want to send them back for not embracing ours.

I wouldn't say 'embrace', we don't force anybody to embrace American culture. Nobody forces immigrants to eat hot-dogs, attend church, or go to baseball games.

I would say 'respecting' or 'tolerating'. The fact is here in America we DO eat pork.

I wouldn't say 'embrace', we don't force anybody to embrace American culture. Nobody forces immigrants to eat hot-dogs, attend church, or go to baseball games.

I would say 'respecting' or 'tolerating'. The fact is here in America we DO eat pork.

No you moved here for our culture, if not then why did you leave your paradise?????

Yeah so either like it or leave no one forced you to come here but we should start forcing some to leave. This isn't the beginning anymore and these immigrants are not like the ones of the past, so don't give me that this country was built on immigrants last time I checked every country in the world was.

(when I say you I do not mean you in particular mmarsh)

Umm why would atheists even care?

I suspect the "Atheists" think all religious types are nuts so if religions want to fight it out then go for it.

Apparently you don't follow American news as much as you like to think. The whole Californian Atheist trying to get all sorts of religious things out of school, in the name of his daughter...

Funny thing I bet they all take Christmas off....

Last edited:
All of this talk has made me go out and make a nice ham sandwich. I guess I'll have to sue all you blokes for making me overweight.
rotfl1.gif

Here is someone who has embraced the modern American sentiment whole heartedly !!

LOL

Yeah, seriously....

I still love the bumper sticker "Defend America, disbar a lawyer"...hehehe never gets old...

That and Larry the Cable Guys whole "99% of all lawyers give the 1% of good lawyers a bad name"...hahaha

This is just ridiculous. If I was the kid who placed the ham sandwich I'd be laughing my ass off at the Somalis for being scared of pork. Then I'd enjoy my suspension.

Donkey said:
No you moved here for our culture, if not then why did you leave your paradise?????

No offense taken, I am not an immigrant, born and raised in the Big Apple.

Usually for economic reasons. Sometimes political, my Mom moved to the USA for love (at least I hope it was love :)). Some people accept the culture, some don't. Here in Europe we have the same problem, new immigrants that arrive for the benefits, but don't wish to make the effort in order to adapt.

You might remember the Islamic headscarf controversy in France, case in point.

Last edited by a moderator:
By embracing American culture it doesn't mean you HAVE to eat hotdogs and pork. In fact, choosing not to and going totally vegetarian is also American.
I think trying to punish someone for doing something that is not allowed in your culture but allowed in theirs qualifies as cultural intollerance, especially when in the US of A, eating a piece of pork is totally okay.

We're not sending anyone back for not abandoning their culture.
We want to send them back for not embracing ours.

Yeah, right on the target.

I'm curious, I live in Texas. And many Mexicans came here for jobs but not to embrace it.

As this proper thread, that was just :cens: stupid.

Here is someone who has embraced the modern American sentiment whole heartedly !!

Yeah, It's sad ain't it.

If there is one piece of American culture I will never understand, it is this modern penchant for taking people to court because they are too damn lazy to get out and earn themselves a living. Sorry Guys it just gets right up my nose, because our lawyers are now steering the same course here, encouraging everyone to sue whoever they can.

Last edited:
I really don't care. There are more important issues to discuss and focus on.

Where is this world heading?
It would appear that the world is heading towards flooding water levels and global warming.

Last edited:
I really don't care. There are more important issues to discuss and focus on.

It would appear that the world is heading towards flooding water levels and global warming.

I for one am still quite skeptical about global warming; however, lets stay on topic! My father is a scientist at Los Alamos labs, the labs that created the Nuclear Bomb. They do a lot of research on global warming, and they have yet to find conclusive evidence to prove its legitimacy. In fact, theyve found evidence that the changes in climate and the melting of the polar ice caps can be attributed to other things such as the rise in the number of animals who live under the sea, and the increase in solar rays and flares sent to earth by an ever aging sun.

SORRY TO GET OFF TOPIC

UPDATE THE STORY ISNT ALL FAKE

THE TRUE STORY

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...19/police_investigate_ham_incident_at_school/

APPRENTLY IT ISNT ALL FAKE
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/eat-the-press/2007/04/25/behold-the-power-of-ham-s_e_46824.html

Let's note how certain political demographics jump to certain decisions so quickly.

The problem is it was a "Ham Steak" and not a "Ham Sandwich" and it was still under investigation.

But I suppose the news media in Maine would be making this up as well
http://www.wmtw.com/news/12497901/detail.html

To bad people don't take the time to actual research, that took me a whopping 10 minutes....

Last edited:
I admit my post was wrong, but it wasn't laziness, was simply assuming that 2 exact same stories one stating 'ham sandwich' and the other 'ham steak' were the same story. Especially when the fake story used a very real source as its material. I seriously doubt I was alone in being tricked.

The real guilty party is the author of the parody for misleading (in a pathetic way) his reader. Parody are supposed to be funny because it's supposed to be obvious, but copying word for word a real story and then changing sandwich to a synonym isn't funny. It amazes me how the author could have thought that would be funny. Its just lame.

Still, I admit its a good catch, and I regret my error.

Last edited:
I hope the AC gets what is coming to them, to mislead readers like they did is very wrong.

However it is interesting to see how fast that spread....

I will say the information about the foot-washing basins are true. Here in Kansas City in the downtown airport they are putting them in. So that muslims can prepare for daily Islamic prayer. My sister works at the smaller branch off of the main airport and she said they are talking about having them at her area too. Why are we catering to their rituals? If they want to live here I don't have a problem with that but when they are demanding rights for their religion...come on!
What I'm saying is America is a free country but it's America not any other country. We shouldn't have to put in washing basins for them and we shouldn't have to speak spanish.

I will say the information about the foot-washing basins are true. Here in Kansas City in the downtown airport they are putting them in. So that muslims can prepare for daily Islamic prayer. My sister works at the smaller branch off of the main airport and she said they are talking about having them at her area too. Why are we catering to their rituals? If they want to live here I don't have a problem with that but when they are demanding rights for their religion...come on!
What I'm saying is America is a free country but it's America not any other country. We shouldn't have to put in washing basins for them and we shouldn't have to speak spanish.

Whatever happened to freedom of religion? So I now have to be influenced (in one form or another) by another religion? I never knew they had a foot washing ceremony for their daily prayers. I never wanted to know. So now I have to know this and I am offended by it. Heck, if anyone is offended by seeing pork near them (however it got there) then I am offended by having to learn even the least little bit about their religion.

And so the arguments could go in that vein of thought. It all depends on what your views are and what stance you want to take.

MarinerRhodes

I got to agree with Peddler on this one. We had a similar situation at JFK in NYC.

Its a friggin airport. If people want to prey go to the Mosque, Church, whatever. But the Airport is for travelers. If your job cannot accommodate your 5 prayers a day then change your job. This is not Saudi Arabia.

What will be next? Will they have to build an alter at the Terminal equipped with a 24H Priest and confessional in case some traveller has the need for a quick baptism or to confess his latest sins.

Last edited:
Back