Just wonderin'

Lamm

I was looking at some USMC medals and badges. I didn't see the CIB ( Combat Infantryman Badge ). Does the USMC have that? Just wondering.
Thanks,
Lamm

No the USMC doesn't have the CIB. If you earned one in the Army and then transfered to the Marines you could wear it but that's the only way a leatherneck would have one.

Charge_7 said:
If you earned one in the Army and then transfered to the Marines you could wear it but that's the only way a leatherneck would have one.

Not really Charge 7. If you are awarded a CIB / CIB'S in the Army and enlist in the Marine Corps you would wear the Combat Action ribbon and whatever number of subsequent award stars in Lieu of the CIB.

The CIB is not authorized for wear in the Marine Corps Uniform.

Most are, Jump wings, Scuba, etc as well as ribbons. However the Marine Corps/Navy consider the CIB to be the Naval Service eqivalent of the CAR. And you must "trade in."

Doesn't seem quite right to me though. Only infantry can get the CIB and then only after a set amount of time in a combat role (if I recall correctly). Does the same requirements apply to the CAR? Not an arguement, btw. Just a curiousity. Far be it from me to argue the Navy/Marine Corps awards and decorations code.

No it's not an Infantry only award. The CAR is awarded on a unit/ship basis for ground and surface action. On set Criteria and Authorized by SECNAV.
Firefights, Being subjected to sustained rocket, mortar, artillery barrage.Ship being endanger by enemy attack, Special Operations/Mine Counter Measure missions where risk of enemy fire was expected to be encountered.

The CAR is not awarded for air combat/strike missions. And award of The Purple Heart Decoration does not automatically confer award of the CAR.

Interesting. Well I doubt many CIB folk transfer to the Corps anyway. I imagine they wouldn't be that thrilled at having their mark of distinction taken away. Infantry is a tad bit special compared to being on a ship in combat. There is no armor combat award that I know of though I remember they were talking about making one at one time. None for artillery either for that matter. Not a "wrong" or "right" statement. Just an observation that like I said, probably doesn't come to a hill of beans anyways as not many CIB'rs would be making that transfer.

I only knew one. I had a Company Gunny who was awarded the CIB in Vietnam serving with the 25th Infantry. He later joined the Corps.

But he kept a Large CIB plaque emblazoned with the 25th Patch over his desk.

Back