Judo or Taekwondo?

Oh and also, does India/Bangladesh/Pakistan/Sri Lanka and all those south-asian countries have their own version of martial arts?

I want that answered pl0x

No, check out the quoted text.
That's you saying you're too proud to run away.
Then the next page you said that you wouldn't jump someone with a kinfe.

Thats because I dont start fights.

Id be surprised if they did Systema.

That would make them seriously kick ass.

And no Einstein, I need to feast on your brain just for a bit.

Go back (that is, if you've even ever lived there longer than a summer trip) to Serbia and whatnot and learn Systema instead of b*tching and moaning about what's available and what's not in the town you live in currently.

Yeah I actually lived in Serbia for MUCH longer than a summer trip. And im pretty sure you cant learn Systema there [But I know once Vadim Starov and some other uberspetsnaz came over and showed our boys some tricks]

Though id settle for real aikido anyways.

The question is pretty old, now im pretty sure on what im going to do.

Maybe somebody else would like to find out, ever thought of that Sherlock?

Fair enough Sargeant Moderator, when I said that was enough, I was referring to the name calling as well...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

I want to start learning a martial art, and I was wondering which one would be better for me to learn [If it matters, im 14 years old and im 6"1].

Naturally, I wanted to do Systema, but they dont have a academy or such for that near me. So I was wondering wether to do Judo or Taekwondo.

Thanks in advance, your all tip-top champions :cheers:
I would say, try to get away, run, and nont mind "losing your face". It's till better than losing your life.

Judo us great, I do it by myself, but, you are a bit limited, you would need to keep the attacker in a lock untill help arrives.
With other martial arts, well, you might be able to knock him out, but keep in mind that needs LOTS and ermanent training. And I can asure you, there hs been more than 1 Karate champion who got stabbed in the ass.

Personally, my heart (and I am old now for fighting) goes with Aikido (literally translated means "Joint Twisting",
I have to correct you Aikido does not translate to "Joint Twisting". The translation is as follows Ai means Harmony .. Ki means Spirit ...and Do means The Way or the Path depends on how you translate it. So Aikido liteally means The Way of Harmonising your Spirit. I have practised Aikido since 1969 I now hold a 4th Dan Black Belt and I also teach it.
Example of other martial art translations
Kendo.... The Way of the Sword
Karate Do... The Way of Empty Hand
Judo.... The Way of Flexibility
Yari Do ...The Way of the Spear
Kyodo The Way Of the Bow (Archery)
Bushido...The Way of the Warrior.

I have to correct you Aikido does not translate to "Joint Twisting". The translation is as follows Ai means Harmony .. Ki means Spirit ...and Do means The Way or the Path depends on how you translate it. So Aikido liteally means The Way of Harmonising your Spirit. I have practised Aikido since 1969 I now hold a 4th Dan Black Belt and I also teach it.
Example of other martial art translations
Kendo.... The Way of the Sword
Karate Do... The Way of Empty Hand
Judo.... The Way of Flexibility
Yari Do ...The Way of the Spear
Kyodo The Way Of the Bow (Archery)
Bushido...The Way of the Warrior.

Thanks! Always something else to be learned!

Rattler

if you want to do a martial art, you should do muay thai if it's for defense. in english it's the "art of eight limbs" it's the best for self defense, against anyone and anything.

I reckon that it really doesn't matter what martial art you practice. It is an art, which comes in handy if you run into trouble. I have been practicing kyokushin karate since 1990 and never needed it 'on the street'. This martial art just so happened to be just what I looked for. Choose with your heart and not because you think you need an extra means to protect yourself. If this is your primary reason to choose a martial art, you'll probably quit within a few years. At least, this has been my experience for the past 20 years...

I would try Krav Maga. It's very effective, very easy to learn, and faces all those all day situations, like multiple opponents that try to bully someone. It was invented during WW II by Imi Lichtenfeld, and is still envolving. It has brutal offensive kicks/knees/ellbows from MuayThai, grappling/submissions from JiuJitsu and Judo, some boxing, it's own style of gun&knife disarm, etc.
there are different types of KravMaga, but they all have the same idea: train hard, fight easy!
You don't have to be a KungFu master, who is flyin' around, to protect yourself ;)
And if you don't take the victim role, you will have less trouble.
That's it.
And btw: getting on a training partner at full force is an expierence you should try. It will get you a feeling of getting hit :)

@c/CSM Henson, T.
i heard about it. "Aloha!"
It has much similarities to KravMaga. And, yeah I like it :)

Back