JMAU

{¤nn¤r

Is the JMAU's task to keep the patient alive in the space between the fire fight and the operating room or is it to carry out the actual operation? I can't find much info online.

In days past, there were Evac treatment centers where patients were sent to be stabilized.

Then sent on to actual hospital for advance treatment.

In VN, for example, there was Quanh Loi Medivac and 3rd Field Hospital at Saigon which was a large facility.

I don't know how far the evac places could go-they resembled MASH.
I know they did chest tubes.

Probably searchable.

A lot of really messed up guys are surviving due to today's facilities.

Medics and corpsman are to provide immediate life saving care to the patient until they can be evacuated to the next level of treatment. They prioritize their patients by severity and then evacuate them based off that severity and the probability the patient will survive. Once on the medevac the flight medic will take over and in severe cases a flight surgeon will be on board to provide any life saving surgery on the way to the hospital. At the in country hospital is where the most of the initial surgery or life saving care is given until the patient is stabilized. After a patient is stabilized AND they are cleared to be transported, they will usually be shipped to a hospital out of country either in Germany or back in the US (this is for US forces) to begin their long road to recovery.

JMAU mission

JMAU's legacy mission is to provide immediate trauma/surgical resuscitation and other indicated advanced medical/surgical interventions from point of injury through transport to a fixed medical facility. Beyond that, I really can't be more specific and there are reasons why there's no real searchable information available. The speculations posted above are generalized and not JMAU-specific, and are thusly inaccurate. Just as you won't find much "real" info about other tier 1 units, you'll find even less about JMAU. I'll just say that our capabilities are extremely wide-ranging, same for the total mission spectrum & scope, and that there's no other unit that can do what it does, how it does it, in the world. Think of how valuable the operators we support and the missions they do are, and you'll have an idea about the importance of the role that JMAU plays... but only a very limited one... ;-)

Back