Japanís New Ship: Destroyer or Carrier?

About Japanís New Ship: Destroyer or Carrier?

International Military Forums > Military Discussion Forums > International Military News Discussions
User Name
Password

September 3rd, 2007   #1
rock45

Japanís New Ship: Destroyer or Carrier? info

Japanís New Ship: Destroyer or Carrier?
Launch of Vessel Prompted by Chinaís Growing Submarine Force
By WENDELL MINNICK, TAIPEI

Japanís launch of a helicopter-carrying destroyer may signal its ambition to expand its naval capabilities and eventually join international coalitions abroad. The 13,500-ton DDH 181 Hyuga, launched on Aug. 23 at the IHI Marine United shipyard in Yokohama, was viewed by some as Japanís first aircraft carrier since World War II.

http://www.defensenews.com/story.php...0171&C=landwar

September 4th, 2007   #2
A Can of Man

And it was made under extreme security as well. They don't even have public photos of it. And this was a Japanese carrier. A basic carrier but a carrier nonetheless. If Japan is purchasing JSFs, the Marine Corps version that is, this will be no different than an aircraft carrier. I think ultimately that is their goal.

September 4th, 2007   #3
rock45

JSF info

I was thinking JSFs to when I read this, it right there between the line.

September 4th, 2007   #4
mmarsh

The Japanese have always had this thing for hybrid warships. The last IJN Hyuga was a Hybrid Aircraft Carrier-Battleship during WWII.

This quote caught my eye...

“The Hyuga is a big step forward to demonstrate Japan’s capability to construct full-fledged aircraft carriers in the future.”

"In the Future"? Does Japan plan on building CV's or CVN's?

Found a Photo, she doesn't look like a Destroyer to me...

"My center is giving way, my right is in retreat situation excellent. I shall attack." -Foch

I am from NYC. I fly a French flag because I work in Paris.

Last edited by mmarsh; September 4th, 2007 at 20:49..

September 4th, 2007   #5
A Can of Man

That right there is definitely a flat top.

September 5th, 2007   #6
mmarsh

..she definatly a flat-top, however she has no catapults and she looks too small for fixed wing. F-35 SVOTL perhaps?

I might take a strictly hypothetical guess and say she is a testbed for a future CV or CVN design. It makes sense for the Japanese to want carriers. She required a powerful Naval strike ability and most of the major powers in the area already have them, are are planning to get them.

September 5th, 2007   #7
A Can of Man

The Chinese want a carrier fleet, the Japanese want a carrier fleet... at least they want to be ready for it when the day comes that their Self Defense Force is reorganized as the Defense Force (no, really, that's the name they're looking to go by).
From eyeballing it, that top doesn't look too much smaller than any Tarawa Class Amphibious Assault Ship.
Japan's not the only one. South Korea has already launched their version called the RoKS DodkDo and there are two more of the class that will be built.
Funny thing though is South Korea is not slated to recieve any F-35s.
Anyways, this Hyuga class "Destroyer" has a greater displacement than the HMS Invincible, if that gives you any comparison. The Invicible was a Harrier operating aircraft carrier.

September 19th, 2007   #8
chronoserpent

This ship draws a lot of comparisons in my mind to the Royal Navy's Invincible class. We call them (the Invincibles) light aircraft carriers now, but when they were made there was so much opposition against building carriers that they were called "Flush Deck Cruisers". Very similar to these ships being called "destroyers". Is there any opposition to CV's by the Japanese people or government? Or are they trying to make their re-entry into the Carrier Club a little discreet?

Japan has given no word if these will carry F-35, but that's ridiculously obvious that they will. The ship can accommodate 11 aircraft in the hangar, but is only carrying 4 helicopters. Hm... I wonder what the extra space is for...

The only surprising thing to me is that they didn't build a ski-jump on it so the future F-35s can make STOVLs more easily.

Midshipman Third Class
Trojan Battalion NROTC

Last edited by chronoserpent; September 21st, 2007 at 05:34..

September 20th, 2007   #9
A Can of Man

I guess a ski jump at this point would be too obvious.
Japan is looking to be a world super power once again. There is quite a desire in Japan to own a nuclear weapon.

September 20th, 2007   #10
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronoserpent
This ship draws a lot of comparisons in my mind to the Royal Navy's Invincible class. We call them light aircraft carriers now, but when they were made there was so much opposition against building carriers that they were called "Flush Deck Cruisers". Very similar to these ships being called "destroyers". Is there any opposition to CV's by the Japanese people or government? Or are they trying to make their re-entry into the Carrier Club a little discreet?
Yeah I don't think there are too many who would disagree that this is a light carrier.

Quote:
Japan has given no word if these will carry F-35, but that's ridiculously obvious that they will. The ship can accommodate 11 aircraft in the hangar, but is only carrying 4 helicopters. Hm... I wonder what the extra space is for...
Well theres the volleyball nets, shuffleboard sticks etc. they all take up a good amount of room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_13th_redneck
I guess a ski jump at this point would be too obvious.
Japan is looking to be a world super power once again. There is quite a desire in Japan to own a nuclear weapon.
Umm I am not so sure about that, I think even the Japanese must have figured out by now that they are in economic decline and have neither the resources nor population to be a superpower.

Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices. - Voltaire 1694-1778

Last edited by MontyB; September 20th, 2007 at 21:05..