Japan Arms Limitations -

Read more about Originally Posted by Big_Z I believe the Japanese are too anti-war for that. It would just be a strong deterrent. They lost at a horrible cost in their last conflict, the

International Military Forums > >
User Name
Password

March 2nd, 2005   #1
Whispering Death

Japan Arms Limitations info

It's a frequent subject on this board, the limitations on the Japanese military. So for those of us not so well versed in the limitations could you guys spell out the major points in the document(s) and if they are a for ever and ever imposition or does it have some kind of sunset clause or something like that?

--
March 2nd, 2005   #2
A Can of Man

Well, they cannot be deployed for any other reason other than
1) UN peacekeeping missions
2) Incidents which endanger the national security of Japan.
The 2nd was stretched in the war on terror when Japanese warships fired cruise missiles against the Taleban. The Taleban threat was considered a threat to the whole world, and therefore also posed a national security problem to Japan.
Also, Japan has sent non-combat troops to Iraq.

They also cannot freely import weapons and they cannot export them.

This law is said to expire in 2045.

March 3rd, 2005   #3
Darcia

They can also have no nuclear weapons,no carriers. Basicly no offensivemilitary whatsoever.

^_^

March 4th, 2005   #4
Whispering Death

Are there limitations on numbers of certain ships/planes/ground units?

March 4th, 2005   #5
Big_Z

I think their military limitations should be ended. They would make a good counter balance to China in the region.

March 4th, 2005   #6
Darcia

I don't think thier are actual number restraits on units but I believe thier is a limit on how many personnel they can have serving.

March 5th, 2005   #7
A Can of Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Z
I think their military limitations should be ended. They would make a good counter balance to China in the region.
We'll have to see. The Japanese are also doing some muscle flexing too. It's not simple at all. This is a very bad neighborhood.

March 5th, 2005   #8
IAmFighter

Not to mention, a lot of Koreans remember when they used to be oppressed by Japanese troops, as the Korean Penninsula was occupied by Japan for several decades until the end of World War II. The Japanese military expands, and just watch how quickly South Korea follows suit. It was that kind of arms race that helped trigger World War I in Europe. And I'm not entirely sure that China would sit back idol and let anybody get enough military power to challenge them in their own backyard.

Could be interesting to see how the United States would handle that kind of conflict. 3 US allies duking it out in Asia would be one huge problem. And who do you support in that kind of situation?

\"The advance of hope in the Middle East requires new thinking in the region. By now it should be clear that authoritarian rule is not the way of the future it is the last gasp of a discredited past. Democracy is their goal and terrorists themselves have reason to fear.\" ~President George W. Bush

Do not attack the First Marine Division. Leave the yellowlegs alone. Strike the American Army.
~Orders given to Communist troops in the Korean War; shortly afterward, the Marines were ordered to not wear their khaki leggings.

March 5th, 2005   #9
A Can of Man

South Korea will probably find itself in the middle of a Japan-China power struggle. i.e. the usual.

March 5th, 2005   #10
Big_Z

I believe the Japanese are too anti-war for that. It would just be a strong deterrent. They lost at a horrible cost in their last conflict, they don't want to go through that again.

Tags
documents, imposition, limitations, points, sunset