Israel warns Russia: We'll neutralize S-300 if sold to Iran

Lunatik

Aug. 8, 2008
Yaakov Katz , THE JERUSALEM POST

If Russia goes through with the sale of its most advanced anti-aircraft missile system to Iran, Israel will use an electronic warfare device now under development to neutralize it and as a result present Russia as vulnerable to air infiltrations, a top defense official has told The Jerusalem Post.

The Russian system, called the S-300, is one of the most advanced multi-target anti-aircraft-missile systems in the world today and has a reported ability to track up to 100 targets simultaneously while engaging up to 12 at the same time. It has a range of about 200 kilometers and can hit targets at altitudes of 27,000 meters.

While Russia has denied that it sold the system to Iran, Teheran claimed last year that Moscow was preparing to equip the Islamic Republic with S-300 systems. Iran already has TOR-M1 surface-to-air missiles from Russia.

Mixed media reports have emerged recently regarding the possible delivery of the system to Iran. Two weeks ago Reuters quoted a senior Israeli official who said the system would be delivered to Iran by the end of the year. In response, the Pentagon released a statement rejecting the assessment and saying that the US did not believe Iran would get it in 2008.

According to the Israeli defense official who spoke to the Post, "no one really knows yet if and when Iran will get the system."

A top IAF officer also said this week that Israel needed to do "everything possible" to prevent the S-300 from reaching the region.

"Russia will have to think real hard before delivering this system to Iran, which is possibly on the brink of conflict with either Israel or the US, since if the system is delivered, an EW [electronic warfare] system will likely be developed to neutralize it, and if that happens it would be catastrophic not only for Iran but also for Russia," the defense official said.

Neutralization of one of the main components of Russian air defense would be a blow to Russian national security as well as to defense exports. "No country will want to buy the system if it is proven to be ineffective," the official said. "For these reasons, Russia may not deliver it in the end to Iran."

Also on Thursday, Defense Minister Ehud Barak told an Italian paper that a nuclear Iran would be "dangerous to world order."

Barak emphasized that all options for dealing with threat of a nuclear Teheran were "open and ready," and stressed the importance of "strengthening and accelerating economic sanctions against Iran."

"Either way, we need to keep every option open. If they provoke us, or they attack us, our army is prepared to attack and to succeed uncompromisingly," he asserted in an interview with the daily Corriere della Sera . "It's up to us to find the best way to get the best result with minimum damage," Barak added.

"Iran confirmed its message when it stood against the whole world: to deceive and to reject. Their aim is to obtain an atomic bomb," he continued.

The defense minister also spoke of the results of the Second Lebanon War, telling the Italian paper, "Two years ago, we saw the price that's paid for a lack of an experienced leadership. Nevertheless, today we're equipped with a good understanding to prevent this from happening again."

He added that UN Security Council Resolution 1701 that brought an end to the war was inefficient since Hizbullah, Syria and Iran were doing what they wanted in Lebanon.

You shouldn't be too excited TOG, if it gets really hairy, your perfect age for being drafted Homeboy.

This is not good. I am feeling like all of this is starting to be a like a little timer on the oven, waiting for the ding.

This could get exciting way too fast...

Pfft its all a storm in a teacup, Israel can rattle its saber all it likes but in the end the Russians will still do whatever is in their own best interests and I am guessing that will involve getting paid for installing an S-300 and a best of all they will be getting orders for replacement parts..

I know what you mean.

I hear the Caucasus is nice this time of year...

Maybe you should ask some of Army Group South they were there last and a lot of them are still there.

In the end all this threat and counter threat nonsense is just that "nonsense" as nothing can nor will be done unless Russia does something incredibly stupid such as attacking a nuclear armed country and that is just not going to happen.
NATO isn't going to attack Russia hell they can't even put together enough troops to secure Afghanistan and the USA isn't going to risk nuclear war over Georgia or an Iran/Israel confrontation.

My guess Russia blows off Israel sells it anyway.

Israel plasters it on the ground in Iran before it becomes operational.

Its a possibility/probability, the problem is that the gap between Israel and its Middle Eastern neighbours appears to be closing in terms of military ability so success may not be a foregone conclusion.

On the whole though I don't think Russia will mind selling replacement parts to the Iranians.

Its a possibility/probability, the problem is that the gap between Israel and its Middle Eastern neighbours appears to be closing in terms of military ability so success may not be a foregone conclusion.

Firstly, i dont think that is true. If you ask me its widened if at all changed.

Secondly, 1967 war had the arabs in complete tech supeirority and they lost.

Firstly, i dont think that is true. If you ask me its widened if at all changed.

Secondly, 1967 war had the arabs in complete tech supeirority and they lost.

One of the things my father always said about Arab armies was that no one who's motivation to sign up was 3 meals a day and pair of boots would ever make good a soldier no matter how much technology you threw at them.

I think that this explained the poor showing of Arab nations through the 50s and 60s but the advent of oil money and self determination is changing this and with the growing nationalistic identity, cash and a middle class you are starting to see more "professional" Arab force.

The question is how can Israel explain to the world the reason for bombing Iranian S-300 missiles. These are defensive surface to air missiles with limited range. I don't think they pose any direct (added) danger to Israel.

If they get away with that nonsense they will push for more using that same argument. I know I don't like Iran having good eqpt. What do they need it for? So they can capture more Americans and torture them better next time. Bad juju.

If they get away with that nonsense they will push for more using that same argument. I know I don't like Iran having good eqpt. What do they need it for? So they can capture more Americans and torture them better next time. Bad juju.

Why does the USA, Israel, China, [insert any country here] need good equipment?

The same reasons apply to all.

Anyway, the thing is suddenly Russia starts playing a much, much agressive role compared to recent years. From cutting Ukraine's gas to clearly saying they'd take military action against America's missile defense system in easter Europe, from providing Iran with advanced weapons and worse, nuclear technology and assistance to actually attacking tiny Georgia for having aspirations to join NATO... And of course Putin and his sweetheart Medvedev and their full control of the country.

Is Russia becoming a new, aggressive Soviet dictatorship?

I think so Lunatik.

MontyB, Iran has proven they like playing fart fart games, taking our people, Englanders and whoever else we may not have heard about it, giving them better eqpt to play their games is not a wise decision. No doubt, I am not the sharpest tool in the shed but even I can figure this one out.

I think so Lunatik.

MontyB, Iran has proven they like playing fart fart games, taking our people, Englanders and whoever else we may not have heard about it, giving them better eqpt to play their games is not a wise decision. No doubt, I am not the sharpest tool in the shed but even I can figure this one out.

Yep and not one of these instances was solved by military intervention therefore them having this equipment is irrelevant.

While I am certainly not a fan of nations like Iran I really have trouble with the logic used to decry their actions.
If I was a crazed despot running a country that was flush with oil money and I had a country 4 times my size and heavily armed making statements like "we will not rule out military action" about me I would be doing all I could to arm myself to the teeth as well.

I am not sure why you are having trouble grasping the concept that if you push people into a corner and give them no way out there is a strong chance they are going to figure out a way to fight back, its simple human nature.

Back