Irish in royal marines

JakeL27

Hello I am from Dublin Ireland, I have completed my application form and sent it off I got an email today saying that a date will be arranged to complete my recruitment test. Just wondering is there many irish in the royal marines what are british marines taught on irish lads joining up? And also is the psycho metric test as hard as they say it's the only thing to do with recruitment process I'm worried about.

Hello I am from Dublin Ireland, I have completed my application form and sent it off I got an email today saying that a date will be arranged to complete my recruitment test. Just wondering is there many irish in the royal marines what are british marines taught on irish lads joining up? And also is the psycho metric test as hard as they say it's the only thing to do with recruitment process I'm worried about.

There are indeed Irish lads serving in the Royal Marines. The numbers aren't huge by any means but don't view that as a negative. My last Sergeant was a proud Irishman and he was outstanding.*

Royal Marines aren't taught anything about Irish lads as there's nothing to be taught. ;) Your place of birth doesn't matter, we're all bootnecks at the end of the day, brothers in arms. In 22 years service, I never saw or heard anything about someone's race or place of birth. You have nothing to worry about. The Royal Marines has lads from all sorts of places with all sorts of backgrounds. You'll fit right in.

I do recall Irish lads used to wait a lot longer for their security background checks to come through!

The Royal Navy Psychometric Test is 4 part multiple choice, 30 questions in each section and you should aim to get a minimum of 50% correct in each of the 4 sections to be assured of a good pass. If you score less than ten out of 30 in the English or maths sections, it's an automatic fail for any job. The questions aren't hard, but you need to work fast. If you fail it's 12 months for a re-sit, so beware falling at the first hurdle. The booklet is available free,from your AFCO.

The test sections are as follows: Reasoning 9 mins, Literacy 9 mins, Numeracy 16 mins, Mechanical Comprehension 10 mins. Thirty questions in each section. In total 120 questions in 44 minutes.

Here are example questions to give you some idea of what's involved:

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/~/media/files/cnr-pdfs/test book.pdf

Any other questions, just ask!

Back