irish in the british army

irishman401

hey all i was wondering if i could join the royal marines or the paratroopers if i live in the republic of ireland and if so would i have to move to england.and would being irish stop me from being selected for the sas (i know i have a very small chance already and i have to serve for three years ) thanks in advance

There is a very strong tradition of Irish men serving in the British Army, and very well too. A great many of us from Irish roots have family ties of this. I am not up to date on the current situation, but i would be very surprised to find that you would have any difficulty, I am sure there must be many serving members. One of our cousins followed his grandfather and father into the British Army; he is now retired ; I will ask him at the first opportunity.

As a Irish citizen you can join the British army but you would need to take an oath of allegiance to the Queen.

Our oath to the Crown

As a Irish citizen you can join the British army but you would need to take an oath of allegiance to the Queen.

We all have to take the oath, no matter where in the Commonwealth we serve, I think it's only those enlisting into UK Forces who don't have to take the oath, (perhaps they're automatically assumed to be loyal)...

I remember the day I took the Oath of Allegiance, one of the proudest moments of my life.....

God Save Our Queen.............

I also think I saw somewhere that the Irish Republic was considering joining the Commonwealth............... Is that a truth or just someone speculating?

We all have to take the oath, no matter where in the Commonwealth we serve, I think it's only those enlisting into UK Forces who don't have to take the oath, (perhaps they're automatically assumed to be loyal)...

I remember the day I took the Oath of Allegiance, one of the proudest moments of my life.....

God Save Our Queen.............

I also think I saw somewhere that the Irish Republic was considering joining the Commonwealth............... Is that a truth or just someone speculating?

We had to take the oath as well.

We had an Irish fella in the RAF, he went home on leave and never came back lol

hey all i was wondering if i could join the royal marines or the paratroopers if i live in the republic of ireland and if so would i have to move to england.and would being irish stop me from being selected for the sas (i know i have a very small chance already and i have to serve for three years ) thanks in advance

Being Irish shouldnt stop you joining the SAS, provided you pass the selection. Paddy Maine one of the SAS originals was from Northern Ireland, and a damn good fighter.

Last I heard, less then 10% pass SAS selection.

I'd suggest that you contact a British Army recruiting office regarding the requirment of residing in UK before joining.

Last edited:
Back