|November 15th, 2005|
Iraqi police commando dragnet nets 210 suspects info
out a dragnet operation in the restive town of Baquba Saturday, arresting
210 suspects, security officials said.
"Units from the Wolf Brigade and security forces from the Interior ministry
started to search homes in Baquba at dawn, at the request of the town's
governing council," Iraqi general Mohammad Hassan told AFP.
"We shall remain in town until it's swept clean" of rebels, he said, adding
that the operation could take several days.
"We have already detained some 210 people."
The police commandos, who moved up from Baghdad earlier in the week,
surrounded the town at dawn and closed off all accesses to it.
Road traffic in town was banned, and many streets in the town centre were
empty Saturday morning.
The operation targets Baquba and its surroundings.