Iraq veteran sues Moore over 9/11 film

Easy-8

Iraq veteran sues Moore over 9/11 film

DENISE LAVOIE

Associated Press

BOSTON - A veteran who lost both arms in the war in Iraq is suing filmmaker Michael Moore for $85 million, alleging that Moore used snippets of a television interview without his permission to falsely portray him as anti-war in "Fahrenheit 9/11."
Sgt. Peter Damon, a National Guardsman from Middleborough, is asking for damages because of "loss of reputation, emotional distress, embarrassment, and personal humiliation," according to the lawsuit filed in Suffolk Superior Court last week.
Damon, 33, claims that Moore never asked for his consent to use a clip from an interview Damon did with NBC's "Nightly News."
He lost his arms when a tire on a Black Hawk helicopter exploded while he and another reservist were servicing the aircraft on the ground. Another reservist was killed in the explosion.
In his interview with NBC, Damon was asked about a new painkiller the military was using on wounded veterans. He claims in his lawsuit that the way Moore used the film clip in "Fahrenheit 9/11" - Moore's scathing 2004 documentary criticizing the Bush administration and the war in Iraq - makes him appear to "voice a complaint about the war effort" when he was actually complaining about "the excruciating type of pain" that comes with the injury he suffered.
In the movie, Damon is shown lying on a gurney, with his wounds bandaged. He says he feels likes he's "being crushed in a vise."
"But they (the painkillers) do a lot to help it," he says. "And they take a lot of the edge off of it."
Damon is shown shortly after U.S. Rep. Jim McDermott, D-Wash., is speaking about the Bush administration and says, "You know, they say they're not leaving any veterans behind, but they're leaving all kinds of veterans behind."
Damon contends that Moore's positioning of the clip just after the congressman's comments makes him appear as if he feels like he was "left behind" by the Bush administration and the military.
In his lawsuit, Damon says he "agrees with and supports the President and the United States' war effort, and he was not left behind."
He said that, while at the Walter Reed Army Medical Center recovering from his wounds, he had surgery and physical therapy, learned to use prosthetics and live independently. He also said that Homes For Our Troops, a not-for-profit group, built him a house with handicapped accessibility.
"The work creates a substantially fictionalized and falsified implication as a wounded serviceman who was left behind when Plaintiff was not left behind but supported, financially and emotionally, by the active assistance of the President, the United States and his family, friends, acquaintances and community," Damon says in his lawsuit.
Moore did not immediately return calls seeking comment Wednesday. A message was left for Moore at a personal number in New York and with HarperCollins, publisher of Moore's 2002 book, "Stupid White Men...And Other Sorry Excuses for the State of the Nation!"
A spokesman for Miramax Film Corp., also named as a defendant, did not immediately return a call.
Damon did not immediately respond to a request for an interview.
"It's upsetting to him because he's lived his life supportive of his government, he's been a patriot, he's been a soldier, and he's now being portrayed in a movie that is the antithesis of all of that," Damon's lawyer, Dennis Lynch, said.
Damon is seeking $75 million in damages for emotional distress and loss of reputation. His wife is suing for an additional $10 million in damages because of the mental distress caused to her husband, Lynch said.

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/entertainment/movies/14709855.htm

No Moore lies!

Every last one of his movies is full of

strawman.jpg

straw man arguments.

Last edited:
This is another issue where I have changed my views. I have finally watched his movies and I think they are pretentious, leftist "war-mongering", hype causing movies. I think he is just as bad as the establishment he's trying to ridicule. He sure as hell doesn't help uniting the States. I hope the NG get's some money. 85 mil seems kind of steep, but that is the climate Moore help creating.

Michael Moore
owns Halliburton!
[SIZE=+1]New book debunks claims of celebrity activists [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Posted: November 1, 2005
10:23 p.m. Eastern

[/SIZE][FONT=Palatino, Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Georgia, Times]
[FONT=Palatino, Times New Roman, Georgia, Times, serif]
[SIZE=-1]© 2005 WorldNetDaily.com [/SIZE][/FONT]

MichaelMoore2.jpg

Michael Moore
"I don't own a single share of stock!" filmmaker Michael Moore proudly proclaimed. He's right. He doesn't own a single share. He owns tens of thousands of shares – including nearly 2,000 shares of Boeing, nearly 1,000 of Sonoco, more than 4,000 of Best Foods, more than 3,000 of Eli Lilly, more than 8,000 of Bank One and more than 2,000 of Halliburton, the company most vilified by Moore in "Fahrenheit 9/11."

If you want to see Moore's own signed Schedule D declaring his capital gains and losses where his stock ownership is listed, it's emblazoned on the cover of Peter Schweizer's new book, "Do As I Say (Not As I Do): Profiles in Liberal Hypocrisy."
And it's just one of the startling revelations by Schweizer, famous for his previous works, "Reagan's War" and "The Bushes."
Other examples:
  • House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, who proclaims her support for unions, yet the luxury resort, the vineyard and the restaurants she partly owns are strictly non-union. While she advocates tough new laws enforcing environmental regulations on the private sector, the exclusive country club she partly owns failed to comply with existing environmental regulations for the past eight years – including a failure to protect endangered species.
  • Noam Chomsky has made a reputation for calling America a police state and branding the Pentagon "the most hideous institution on earth," yet his entire academic career, writes Schweizer, has been subsidized by the U.S. military.
  • Barbra Streisand is another proponent of environmentalism, yet she drives an SUV, lives in a mansion and has a $22,000 annual water bill. In the past, she has driven to appointments in Beverly Hills in a motor home because of her aversion to using public bathrooms.
  • Ralph Nader plays the role of the citizen avenger – the populist uninterested in wealth and materialism, pretending to live in a modest apartment. In fact, he lives in fancy homes registered in the names of his siblings.
This is not just a book of "gotcha" journalism, explains Schweizer. He says the dozens and dozens of examples of "liberal hypocrisy" he cites in his book "are of central importance in evaluating the validity and usefulness of liberal ideas." "Using IRS records, court depositions, news reports, financial disclosures and their own statements, I sought to answer a particular question: Do these liberal leaders and activists practice what they preach?" he writes. "What I found was a stunning record of open and shameless hypocrisy. Those who champion the cause of organized labor had developed various methods to avoid paying union wages or shunned unions altogether.

Those who believe that the rich need to pay more in taxes proved especially adept at avoiding taxes themselves. Critics of capitalism and corporate enterprise frequently invested in the very companies they denounced. Those who espouse strict environmental regulations worked vigorously to sidestep them when it came to their own businesses and properties. Those who advocate steep inheritance taxes to promote fairer income distribution hid their investments in trusts or exotic overseas locales to reduce their own tax liability. Those who are strong proponents of affirmative action rarely practiced it themselves, and some had abysmal records when it came to hiring minorities. Those who proclaim themselves champions of civil liberties when it comes to criminal or terrorist cases went to extraordinary lengths to curtail the civil liberties of others when they felt threatened or just inconvenienced. Advocates of gun control had no problem making sure that an arsenal of weapons was available to protect them from dangerous criminals."

http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=47174
[/FONT]

It would be poetic justice if Moore is smacked a good one by a veteran. Lets keep our fingers crossed. He can't be rich enough that $85 mil won't sting a bit.

Maybe he was a little too zealous for fahrenheit, but i think his next movie is on the heatlh care system of america. That's back to good 'ol issues that he started with. His first docs nobody really cared about but they did address some pressing issues like unemployment and corporate power/greed.

A question...

If soldier Damon was really as big a Bush supporter as his lawyer claim he was then why did he participate in a anti-Bush movie, (and dont give me any crap about he didnt know, if your going to be in a Hollywood production you'd know what the film is going to be about) and why is he sueing now, 2 1/2 years after the movie came out.

I'm not a huge Michael Moore fan, but I smell a rat. Is it not slightly coincidential the MM has the sequel coming out next year to 9/11 and more to the point that there is an election coming up in 5 months. I might be more receptive, except that we have seen these type of 'smear and fear' tactics used so often in the past that I suspect this is an attempt to 'swift boat' a movie that the GOP clearly doesnt want you to see.

mmarsh said:
I'm not a huge Michael Moore fan, but I smell a rat. Is it not slightly coincidential the MM has the sequel coming out next year to 9/11 and more to the point that there is an election coming up in 5 months. I might be more receptive, except that we have seen these type of 'smear and fear' tactics used so often in the past that I suspect this is an attempt to 'swift boat' a movie that the GOP clearly doesnt want you to see.

:roll:

How about this- we allow the lawsuit to go on, but with a few changed procedures. IF the soldier wins, fork over the cash- and have the two get in a UFC ring. I will pay my life's savings to see Moore get his head handed to him.

I'm glad this lawsuit is going on- albeit mmarsh has some fairly valid questions about said vet.

mmarsh said:

You smell a rat.... how about a dozen or two. In my opinion somebody is trying to get rich the easy way. But this issue isn't on Moore only, but the entire sueing policy in the States. You see an opening you go for it. You claim 85 mil and maybe walk away with 15 mil. Not bad for a few days work....

Ted said:
You smell a rat.... how about a dozen or two. In my opinion somebody is trying to get rich the easy way. But this issue isn't on Moore only, but the entire sueing policy in the States. You see an opening you go for it. You claim 85 mil and maybe walk away with 15 mil. Not bad for a few days work....

Sad but true. My father is a lawyer back in the states and even he thinks things are out of control, espically when you consider all the frivilous lawsuits (like this one) the just wastes the courts time. In France (I'm not sure if this exsists in the USA, I think it depends on the state), if the judges truely think the lawsuit wholly without any merit they can order the plantiff to pay the court costs.

Last edited:
WarMachine said:
Maybe he was a little too zealous for fahrenheit, but i think his next movie is on the heatlh care system of america. That's back to good 'ol issues that he started with. His first docs nobody really cared about but they did address some pressing issues like unemployment and corporate power/greed.
Moore owns stock in Halliburton. FACT!

Still believe in your messiah or are you starting to cotton on to the fact he's an opportunistic lying POS??

If you smell a rat its the media, they choose the time and place to report this crap... or perhaps you might need a shower. :)

Ted said:

And when your reputation is completely ruined because someone put together clips of an entire interview to spin your original opinions? Nah, this doesn't seem about the money so much as about not letting this kind of thing go on. There are a lot of frivolous lawsuits in the US, but I don't see this as one of them nor do I see how someone could, unless of course you think that unethical reporting and the twisting of someone's opinions is an okay and moral thing to do, or you're just a fan of Moore.

Back