Injured Paterno says 'I'm not going anywhere'

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor

GENARO C. ARMAS

Associated Press

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. - Joe Paterno has no plans to limp into retirement.
"I'm not going anywhere," Penn State's 79-year-old coach told his squad, according to a statement posted Wednesday on a team Web site. "I expect to be around a while and coaching through each of your careers."
Paterno addressed the team Tuesday, when he returned to practice for the first time since breaking a shinbone and two knee ligaments after a sideline collision with two players on Nov. 4 at Wisconsin. Paterno arrived in a wheelchair at the indoor practice facility, showing up while players were stretching and staying about 30 minutes.
"You might not see as much of me as I would like for a few weeks, but I'm still involved with your coaches and what you are doing," Paterno told the players, according to the statement.
Paterno, who turns 80 next month, is under contract another two seasons.
The Nittany Lions face Michigan State on Saturday, and defensive coordinator Tom Bradley has said his boss might be back coaching from Beaver Stadium's press box after skipping last week's win against Temple.
Linebacker Paul Posluszny said Paterno urged the team to focus on getting ready for the Spartans. A Penn State win would likely lock up a berth in the Outback Bowl in Tampa on Jan. 1.
"It was great to see him," Posluszny said Wednesday in a conference call. "Things are a little different without him there."
One place Paterno won't be going is to his native New York, where he was scheduled to be inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame on Dec. 5. Doctors have ordered Paterno to stay off his feet for at least five more weeks, so Paterno's formal induction was moved to Dec. 2007, Hall of Fame officials announced Wednesday.
Surgeons last week inserted several screws into Paterno's left leg, which has been fitted with a temporary brace. Team doctor Wayne Sebastianelli has said Paterno might be able to return for the Michigan State game so long as his recovery continues to progress well and the coach keeps the leg propped up.
Prior to the Temple game, Paterno had missed just one other contest in his 41 years as head coach, in 1977 after his son David was involved in an accident.

Good for Joe. I'm glad he isn't quitting. Can't wait to see him back on the sidelines. It just don't look right without him there.

Back