Infamous telegram to Adolf Hitler from deputy Hermann Goering to go up for auction

MontyB

All-Blacks Supporter
Infamous telegram to Adolf Hitler from deputy Hermann Goering to go up for auction

• 22:47, 5 July 2015
  • By Mirror.co.uk
The Gestapo founder sent the message asking Hitler for permission to lead the Third Reich and the ''Goering Telegram'' is expected to be sold for upwards of £15,000

Adolf-Hitler-1889-1945.jpg

Adolf Hitler: Telegrams up for auction The infamous telegram which Hitler’s deputy sent to him in the dying days of WW2 in his Berlin bunker is to go up for auction.

Luftwaffe chief and Gestapo founder Hermann Goering sent the telegram to his Fuehrer on 23 April 1945 asking for permission to assume leadership of the crumbling Third Reich.

The telegram sent Hitler in a frenzied rage and caused Hitler to strip his hand-picked successor of power and appoint Admiral Karl Doenitz as his successor after he committed suicide.

Now it is to go under the hammer at an auction house in the USA next week where it is expected to command a price in excess of 15,000 pounds.

Alexander Historical Auctions in Maryland is selling it on Tuesday. The telegram, taken by Hitler secretary Martin Bormann, was found in the Berlin bunker by an American soldier after the collapse on Nazism on May 8 1945.

Captain Benjamin Bradin found it along with other Bormann papers and brought them back to America. The telegram was handed down to his son and in turn to his son’s university history professor who is now putting it up for sale.
German%20Fuhrer%20Adolf%20Hitler%20and%20Prussian%20premier%20Hermann%20Goering%20watch%20a%20parade%20honouring%20Hitler%2017th%20March%201938%20while%20standing%20on%20a%20balcony%20at%20the%20Chancellory,%20Berlin,%20Germany

Leader: Hitler was set to appoint Goering as his successor until the he received the telegram

The telegram, which resulted in Goering being stripped of all offices and titles, reads:
‘My Führer!
In view of your decision to remain in the fortress of Berlin, do you agree that I take over at once the total leadership of the Reich, with full freedom of action at home and abroad as your deputy, in accordance with your decree of June 29, 1941?
If no reply is received by 10 o’clock tonight, I shall take it for granted that you have lost your freedom of action, and shall consider the conditions of your decree as fulfilled, and shall act for the best interests of our country and our people.
You know what I feel for you in this gravest hour of my life. Words fail me to express myself. May God protect you, and speed you quickly here in spite of all.
Your loyal
Hermann Goering’

An angry Hitler, prompted by Bormann, sent him a return message saying he had committed “high treason.”

Although the penalty for this was death, Goering was to be spared, due to his long years of service, if he would immediately resign all of his offices.
Bormann then transmitted an order to the SS near Berchtesgaden to arrest him and his staff. Before dawn on April 25, Göring was locked up.

Hitler issued a statement two days later saying Goering had resigned all his offices through ill health. On April 30 the Fuehrer and his wife of hours Eva Braun ended their lives in the bunker.

Days later Goering was captured by American forces and put on trial at Nuremberg where he was found guilty of war crimes and sentenced to death.

He escaped the gallows minutes before he was due to be executed by biting on a cyanide phial hidden in a tooth.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/infamous-telegram-adolf-hitler-deputy-6009022

Back