Indian Army pictures 19th Century

that picture of gurkha charge is great. you can see his enemy laying under the guy with knife. I would not like to be in his position. do gurkhas have some characteristic custom, after they capture enemy post, with dead or alive enemy?

Hi,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a Swastika is a good luck symbol in India isn't it? That must have been weird to see it styand for so much evil.

Swastica the Pagan-Celtic symbol for life .........and Hindu symbol of Good Luck ...... Hitler knew perfectly well what he was doing when taking the Symbol of Life and Good Luck and turning it Around. :roll:

Peace
-=SF_13=-

I'm interested to see the WWII pics. I saw a program recently that interviewed many of the WWII fighters from India. Apparantly they get no veterans benefits or even any respect in their native land. The only ones that do are those who sided with Chandra Bose. They had several VC awarded soldiers on telling their sad story of neglect and humiliation.

I've read that he took it from an archway carving on a Benedictine monastery where he attended school as a boy.

The photographs are very interesting.

Awesome photos! It is very hard to find photos of troops in the british commonwealth. I only manage to find Australian and new Zealand ones usually.

lemontree said:
chewie_nz said:
Gurkha + BREN gun = bad times
A Gurkha + Khukhri are a deadlier combination. Gurkha battalions don't bayonet charge, they have a khukhri charge.
I don't own one, but I will. If I ever get into a knife fight, the Khukhri is my first choice of weapons. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

I would not like to be in his position. do gurkhas have some characteristic custom, after they capture enemy post, with dead or alive enemy?
There is no "characteristic custom" once an enemy post is captured. The use of the khukhri ends after the enemy surrenders. :) But Gurkhas have a custom, that whenever a khukhri is drawn out of the scabbard, then it cannot be put back without drawing blood, so after troops clean their khukhris they cut their fingers to draw blood before putting it back in the scabbard.
I saw a program recently that interviewed many of the WWII fighters from India. Apparantly they get no veterans benefits or even any respect in their native land. The only ones that do are those who sided with Chandra Bose. They had several VC awarded soldiers on telling their sad story of neglect and humiliation.
Charge_7,
That is an unfortunate truth. All the soldiers that were de-mobilised after WW2 and before independence in 1947 were not authorised pension, since the politicians in their warped minds considered them (army) a tool of oppression of the Empire. However, those men are given great treatment and honour by their unit and regiments and people even if the monetary benifit is absent. Wheather the politicians like it or not the Republic Day consist of surviving VC award winners who lead the parade along with the Indian (highest) gallantry award winners. The troops that sided with Subhas Chandra Bose were considered 'freedom fighters' and hence they were granted special pension and previlages. WW2 vets that retired after independence were given all the benifits due to them.

Some more pics....
A truly spectacular image. In the heat of the moment - Indian soldiers storm a German trench, after exploding it with hand grenades. Circa 1945.
0128.jpg

Until 8 March 1945, the pagodas crowning Mandalay Hill outside that city came into sight. There was stiff fighting ahead for the men of the 1/6th Gurkha Rifles.
0402.jpg

The 4/6th Gurkha Rifles cross the Irrawaddy River on 27 January 1945. The Gurkhas spent the next few weeks involved in hard fought actions with the Japanese.
0401.jpg

An Italian soldier surrenders to a Jawan, during Operation Crusader, of an unnamed Division and Regiment, on 08 December 1941. The purpose of Operation Crusader was two-fold; to relieve Tobruk and destroy the Afrika Korp. First part of the conflict was a success, the second a failure. The battle took place between the Egyptian border and El Agheila in Libya.
0375.jpg

Indian troops, during Operation Battleaxe on 06 August 1941. An Indian infantry division was involved in the first attempt to remove Reverend Major Bachs' forces out of Halfaya Pass - an important position between the Egypt and Libyan border. The latter was then an Italian colony. Bachs was a German priest and therefore had a religious title, as well a military rank.
0373.jpg

The Afrika Korp had retreated towards oncoming reinforcements and their counter attack was swift and vicious. Muddles within Allied High Command left the 4th Indian Division's (Fighting Fourth) 7th Brigade widely exposed and despite a daring move by the Brigade's commander, Brigadier H.R. Briggs which saved most of the unit, a 1000 men were taken POW. They are shown here being marched through Benghazi in January 1942.
0410.jpg

A Garwhali trooper, in action, in Burma. Circa 1945.
0053.jpg

An Indian soldier holds a captured Nazi flag. Circa 1945.
0129.jpg

The 2/6th Gurkha Rifles advance towards Medicinia, April 1945.
0406.jpg

Medium artillery guns get unusual attention from their detachments.
0180.jpg

Sikh VCOs (Viceroy's Commissioned Officers) report to their Battalion HQ.
0046.jpg

Men of the 6th Gurkha Rifles use 3" mortar in action in Burma. Circa 1944.
0392.jpg

Indian paratroopers being dropped at Elephant Point, Burma on 1 May 1945.
0121.jpg

Caravan of General Von Arnim, German Army, who surrendered to the 4th Indian Division (a.k.a. Fighting Fourth) in Tunisia, Africa.
0118.jpg

A Lieutenant Colonel from the 20th Indian Division, accepts the formal surrender of a Japanese Commander at Saigon, Vietnam in September 1945.
0115.jpg

A group from the 152nd Para Battalion displaying the Japanese flag they captured while operating against the Japanese Army at Tangkhul Hundung. Circa 1945.
0122.jpg

Troops of the 5th Indian Division advancing against Indonesian Pemudas during the Battle of Surabaya, Java in November 1945. Lasting for 19 days, this battle was the last time Indian troops were commanded in combat by British Officers.
0079.jpg

Thanks for the further info about the WWII vets. Good to hear their units haven't forgotten them.

Hi,

I've read that he took it from an archway carving on a Benedictine monastery where he attended school as a boy.

Emmmm Actually many people have Speculated on this Thing for quite a long now ......... ......... But it'sd much more complex than seeing it on a wall ........ i wouodnt go much deeper into the Subject as it is a very wide Discussion in itself ......... i will give you a hint ......One of teh suggested reasons is :

Hitler had a Dream of Creating a Superior Human race ....... a race that would Eventually Wipe out all other lesser Human beings for that he was breeding those babies of the reace in those Child camps ........ he wanted to Create the Superior Aryan race that would rule over the rest .

Tsk Tsk Tsk We are Aryans ;)

Peace
-=SF_13=-

Lemontree, sir, I have a question about the Kukhri,

Seeing that it is such a battle proven weapon, why isn't it adopted by other Indian regiments instead of bayonets? Though I think Assam Rifles has their own blade.

From what I read, combat training for the Kukri is done as a part of basic training for Gurkha regiments. Could this not be adopted elsewhere?

rajkhalsa said:
Lemontree, sir, I have a question about the Kukhri,

Seeing that it is such a battle proven weapon, why isn't it adopted by other Indian regiments instead of bayonets? Though I think Assam Rifles has their own blade.

From what I read, combat training for the Kukri is done as a part of basic training for Gurkha regiments. Could this not be adopted elsewhere?
It is all based on regimental traditions. Many hill troop composition units use the khukri or dah as the side arm. Other units like Jat, Rajput etc do not have those regimental traditions.
A success of the regimental system is based on the commonality of region, caste, religion and historical values. You cannot expect Sikh units to adopt the khukri, as its not their tradition, neither can Sikhs be expected to wear the Kripan (long sword) as a side arm, since it is ridicules to carry swords into the battle field.

An old 19th century picture of my regiment earlier known as Sikh Pioneers, now the Sikh Light Infantry. I am not sure of the year.
ss-1stsikhinf1900.jpg

I did'nt want to start another thread, hence I'm posting some old pictures on the Indian Air Force.
Westland Wapitis in the 1930's
A vic Of IAF Wops over typically rugged terrain of the NWFP. The aircraft are K1290 (Mk IIA ex 27 Squadron RAF Kohat), J9483 (Mk IIA ex 28 Squadron RAF, Ambala) and J9755 (Mk V ex 11Squadron RAF at Peshawar). The two upper machines are in the post autumn 1934 scheme without rudder stripes, while the nearest machine is in the 1930-1934 rudder stripes scheme with red forward.
Wapitis-Three.jpg

Wapiti-K1309.jpg

K1260 of No 1 Squadron IAF seen over New Delhi with the Viceroy’s residence and Kingsway in the background.(this machine was lost in a forced landing at Bhuj on 4 Jan 41 whilst with 5 CDF)
Wapiti-K1260.jpg

The Lysander was inducted in No.1 Sqn and was led in Burma by Sqn Ldr Majumdar during which he won a DFC.
Lysander.jpg

My Grandfather was out in India serving on the North West Frontier with 2nd Dragoons during the 1880's, My father was out there in the later part of the 1920's as aircrew with the RAF.

Incredible pictures!!
Anyone interested in reading about the british- indian army of the 1930's should read a book (actually its a sort of autobiography) called "Bugles and a Tiger" written by John Masters.
He served as a young subaltern in the IV Gurkhas (then known as the Prince of Wales Own IV Gurkhas) i think...

Back