Indian Army pictures 19th Century - Page 4

International Military Forums > >
User Name
Password

March 14th, 2005   #31
rajkhalsa

Lemontree, sir, I have a question about the Kukhri,

Seeing that it is such a battle proven weapon, why isn't it adopted by other Indian regiments instead of bayonets? Though I think Assam Rifles has their own blade.

From what I read, combat training for the Kukri is done as a part of basic training for Gurkha regiments. Could this not be adopted elsewhere?

--
March 15th, 2005   #32
lemontree

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajkhalsa
Lemontree, sir, I have a question about the Kukhri,

Seeing that it is such a battle proven weapon, why isn't it adopted by other Indian regiments instead of bayonets? Though I think Assam Rifles has their own blade.

From what I read, combat training for the Kukri is done as a part of basic training for Gurkha regiments. Could this not be adopted elsewhere?
It is all based on regimental traditions. Many hill troop composition units use the khukri or dah as the side arm. Other units like Jat, Rajput etc do not have those regimental traditions.
A success of the regimental system is based on the commonality of region, caste, religion and historical values. You cannot expect Sikh units to adopt the khukri, as its not their tradition, neither can Sikhs be expected to wear the Kripan (long sword) as a side arm, since it is ridicules to carry swords into the battle field.

March 16th, 2005   #33
lemontree

An old 19th century picture of my regiment earlier known as Sikh Pioneers, now the Sikh Light Infantry. I am not sure of the year.

March 24th, 2005   #34
lemontree

I did'nt want to start another thread, hence I'm posting some old pictures on the Indian Air Force.
Westland Wapitis in the 1930's
A vic Of IAF Wops over typically rugged terrain of the NWFP. The aircraft are K1290 (Mk IIA ex 27 Squadron RAF Kohat), J9483 (Mk IIA ex 28 Squadron RAF, Ambala) and J9755 (Mk V ex 11Squadron RAF at Peshawar). The two upper machines are in the post autumn 1934 scheme without rudder stripes, while the nearest machine is in the 1930-1934 rudder stripes scheme with red forward.

K1260 of No 1 Squadron IAF seen over New Delhi with the Viceroy’s residence and Kingsway in the background.(this machine was lost in a forced landing at Bhuj on 4 Jan 41 whilst with 5 CDF)

The Lysander was inducted in No.1 Sqn and was led in Burma by Sqn Ldr Majumdar during which he won a DFC.

July 30th, 2005   #35
LeEnfield

My Grandfather was out in India serving on the North West Frontier with 2nd Dragoons during the 1880's, My father was out there in the later part of the 1920's as aircrew with the RAF.

LeEnfield Rides again

August 8th, 2005   #36
clownfish

Incredible pictures!!
Anyone interested in reading about the british- indian army of the 1930's should read a book (actually its a sort of autobiography) called "Bugles and a Tiger" written by John Masters.
He served as a young subaltern in the IV Gurkhas (then known as the Prince of Wales Own IV Gurkhas) i think...

Tags
20th, infantry, men, punjab, wars