• NOT SURE

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO

• YES

• Total voters
godofthunder9010 said:
How many times has the English Channel saved England? Removing it would be like putting Russia in the tropics (no more Russian winter). One of the most defining features that makes the UK what it is today is the English Channel. It might be the UK without it, but I doubt it. We're talking a heavy duty rewrite of the history of the world.

As it relates to WW2, the lack of the Channel would negate any help the Royal Navy could be and they'd have been over-run ... just like everybody else. If the USA had a shared border with Continental Europe, Germany may have made short work of conquering us too.

Yes,the channel is important,but the channel itself did'nt stop invaders.

If there is no channel,would England even exist at all?It's a damn silly question,the dynamics of which are imponderable.

Yeah, I know that UK do include British,Scotland, and North Ireland, Is it true?

And what is the different between UK and England?

The Unted Kingdom includes England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland

England on its own is just a country
Scotland on its own is just a country etc

Together they are the United Kingdom

Archit said:
Yeah, I know that UK do include British,Scotland, and North Ireland, Is it true?

And what is the different between UK and England?

Great Britain is England, Scotland and Wales.

The United Kingdom is Great Britain plus Northern Ireland.

Confused? :D

Great Britain is merely the name of the largest island of the British isles, which contains the nations of England, Scotland and Wales.

The United Kingdom, is a shortened way of saying, The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

The kingdoms of England, Wales and Scotland were first united in 1603. when on the death of Elizabeth I, the Scottish King James VI, as the nearest blood relative became king of England and Wales as well (James I, of England). Though England and Scotland both retained their own parliaments.

It wasn't until 1707 that both the Scottish and English parliaments voted to merge into a single parliament at Westminster, this became known as the parliament of the United kingdom of Great Britain.

In 1800 this became the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, when Ireland was added to the union, only for it to become the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, when southern Ireland left the Union in 1921.

Therefore since 1707 it has been incorrect to refer to the government at Westminster as English or England.

Confused :?
don't worry about it. :)
It confuses us Brits as well ;)

Back