If Germany hadn't invaded The Soviet Union

Topgunjn1

I feel The Soviet Union would had joined Germany in Europe, but not so much help Japon. Germany would have choked The UK into surrender, and Europe would all be speaking German. The U.S. after pressure from home to end the war would concede an unsteady truce, and instead of the Cold War the world went through there would have been 3 Super Powers.

Let me know your opinon.

Maybe, but I could throw up a hundred different scenarios to dispute this.

Although most 'millitary historians' (and I include myself in that very loosely) enjoy those "what if" scenarios... I do not. History is history and Hitler was Hitler regardless of how you look at it. You can say "Russia was a rediculous gamble" but look at all the other gambles he took earlier in he career. In the 20s would you have looked at Hitler and claimed it a rediculous gamble that he would topple the democracy and be undisputed sole ruler of all Germany? Would you have said that Germany could never defeat France in barely over a month... who defeated her in 1918 after years and years of stalemate?

This is the reason I don't like "what if?" scenarios. What truth can you even draw from such a statement? "NEVER fight a war on two fronts!" Well that's nice... except the United States fought a war on two fronts IN THE SAME WAR and eneded up at the undisputed victor and rode that wave of success to rule to world over 50 years.

See, that's why I don't like "what if" scenarios. While quite fun, they have no place in the real world IMHO.

Hitler and Stalin being what they were, war was not only inevitable it was unavoidable between Germany and the Soviet Union.

I agree that such a sweeping 'What If' is interesting but not really useful.

I just threw this in here because humans being the way we are always wonder if I did it another way.

Back