How Many Green Barets -

Read more about How many are at any given time? My AFJROTC instructor was one before he switched to the Air Force.

International Military Forums > >
User Name
Password

March 15th, 2006   #1
Shadow Hunter

How Many Green Barets info

How many are at any given time? My AFJROTC instructor was one before he switched to the Air Force.

Last edited by RnderSafe; March 15th, 2006 at 02:42..

--
March 15th, 2006   #2
FutureDevilDog

I believe there are upwards of 10,000 Special Forces soldiers (or Green Berets as there are commonly called) as of now, not quite sure. Google let me down on this one.

/rant

March 15th, 2006   #3
Whispering Death

There's no way the Green Berets have 10,000 current members! Do they do their own logistics or something?

March 15th, 2006   #4
FutureDevilDog

Damn, dont even try the go army chat room, those recruiters are real annoying. Any way I remember reading that in a book somewhere. Anywher the recruiters didnt have the exact number, but they said it makes up about 1% of the Army.

March 15th, 2006   #5
RnderSafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whispering Death
There's no way the Green Berets have 10,000 current members! Do they do their own logistics or something?
There are several thousand green berets in active use at this time, most likely upwards of 300 to 400 thousand.

There are roughly 5 thousand Special Forces soldiers currently operating.

There are far more personnel (SF support, PSYOPS, CA, etc) assigned to USASOC, however.

March 15th, 2006   #6
Whispering Death

Well, the only hard number I could get was about 13,300 active members of USASOC. Of course that includes the Rangers, Night Stalkers, Delta force, et al. and the command structure as well. So if anyone knows what kind of proportions the Green Berets are to the rest of USASOC then you can ballpark it from there I guess.

March 15th, 2006   #7
FO Seaman

From what I understand there are 10 SF (Green Beret) units, two which are National Guard.

March 15th, 2006   #8
RnderSafe

Quote:
Well, the only hard number I could get was about 13,300 active members of USASOC. Of course that includes the Rangers, Night Stalkers, Delta force, et al. and the command structure as well. So if anyone knows what kind of proportions the Green Berets are to the rest of USASOC then you can ballpark it from there I guess.
Since it seems the first post was ignored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnderSafe
There are roughly 5 thousand Special Forces soldiers currently operating.

There are far more personnel (SF support, PSYOPS, CA, etc) assigned to USASOC, however.
13,300 is incorrect. The number for USASOC is closer to 30,700, including all assigned commands, active, reserve and guard components.

I am a bit confused as to why you all are concerned with the number of hats USASOC has in inventory, however.

March 15th, 2006   #9
Whispering Death

Okay I get it now Rnder, it was a cute joke. I missed the 5,000 figure because I was thrown for a loop when you threw out that 300-400 thousand business.

But I'll explain it for you... when civilians like us talk about US Army Special Forces, people tend to think you're talking about USASOC as conventional logic would dictate that the rangers etc. are all "special forces" even though it is wrong. So while when two millitary guys talk amoungst eachother they know what's up, out here in the civilian world we use the term "green berets" so as not to confuse those that might not be so up on the knowledge. That and when you do try and tell people that it's "army special forces" they normally just think you're being a complete blowhard.

Oh yeah, and I got the 13,300 number for ACTIVE personel from globalsecurity.org but the even though they seem to think you're off by about 5,000 total it really doesn't much matter.

Last edited by Whispering Death; March 15th, 2006 at 08:10..

March 15th, 2006   #10
RnderSafe

Quote:
But I'll explain it for you... when civilians like us talk about US Army Special Forces, people tend to think you're talking about USASOC as conventional logic would dictate that the rangers etc. are all "special forces" even though it is wrong. So while when two millitary guys talk amoungst eachother they know what's up, out here in the civilian world we use the term "green berets" so as not to confuse those that might not be so up on the knowledge. That and when you do try and tell people that it's "army special forces" they normally just think you're being a complete blowhard.
I am glad you explained your arrogant know-it-all attitude. If I had any doubt as to your ignorance, it is surely confirmed after reading the above.

If "conventional logic" dictates, then you would recognize the official unit titles. It really isn't that difficult, I am quite positive that even you can understand if you put your mind to it.

Quote:
Oh yeah, and I got the 13,300 number for ACTIVE personel from globalsecurity.org but the even though they seem to think you're off by about 5,000 total it really doesn't much matter.
Perhaps if you had done better research, you would know the current number of personnel assigned to USASOC at this time, it has recently been released for public consumption. Your dated and incorrect information is of little consequence.

While I know it helps to boost your ego to pretend you know more than everyone else, it does little to help keep factual information on this board. More times than not you are a detractor from discussions that have to do with the military.

You can save your "blowhard" reply, I am not interested.

Tags
afjrotc, air, barets, force, switched