Help? Is it worth it?

Osiphen

I'm 17, live in Ohio, and a junior in high school. Me and my best friend have been talking about joining the National Guard/Reserves for a few months now and we both have talked to a recruiter and we both want to, but we don't want to alone. He's all for it, but I have a bunch of different issues. I'm scared. I want to join to get better discipline, in physical shape, pay for college, get a car, and have some money to spend/save. I want to do the Army National Guard/Reserves because of it's split/op program.

I'm scared because it's a six year contract and I'm not sure what could happen. I am honestly afraid of being shipped out to war and getting shot and permanently disabled - or worse.

I've never been a very physical active person, but I've been interested in martial arts recently - I'm not very strong, but I'm not over-weight. I'm 5'5, 140lbs. I have no motivation to do any working out because any time I try to go to the gym and work out, my mom doesn't let me. She comes up with some weird excuse.

I can't seem to find any jobs. I have one job that I work at for two days a week during the fourth quarter of the year. I've worked there for over a year now. No where else will hire me and I don't understand why. I've been pampered my entire life. I've never even made my own bed. I want to actually go out there and do things for myself for once.

I just need to know, is it worth it for me?

Only you can answer this question, to be honest. However, those with a military background will be able to give you a better answer. But my advice is to be absolutely sure that this is what you want before making the commitment.

My advice? Do it. If you don't you will always wish you had.
Don't worry about what "might" happen. Hell, an asteroid full of weird space aliens might hit the Earth and we might turn into food for the walking talking octopus aliens. MIGHT.

"Might" can say a lot. But it doesn't do jack squat.

Only you can answer if its worth it or not, speaking for myself I loved every second of my 5 year regular service and 15 years reserve. If I were in your shoes I'd sign along the dotted line in a heartbeat.

OP - the Reserves/Guard can be very rewarding but you have to remember this...

** Privates pick up cigarette butts and dog schit (meaning YOU will not be the one holding the coffee up watching work being done).

** Corporals still pick up cigarette butts and dog schit too but can *choose* which pile to heft.

**Buck Sergeants generally tell Corporals and Privates what the Staff Sergeant told him, and so on up the chain. \

** NOW, to get to the coveted Staff Sergeant position will take you many years in the Reserves/Guard.. why? Because there are just so many slots available for higher positions and folks don't move/transfer. They are citizen soldiers, have jobs/family in the community - so you might find yourself in the lower ranks for a long time if you plan on staying where you live

** The Training? From my experience it depends how serious your superiors are about being in the military and the realities of actually having to head towards the sounds of the cannon..... some units aren't worth a schit and they *look* like a bush league outfit. Others are top notch and can stand aside any regular Army unit any day. (how do you find out? Ask if you can spend a weekend with your local units - they will let you - see for yourself what they do, how professional they look/act)

** Getting in shape? The Reserves/Guard isn't going to be much help in this regard... they drill *once a month* and *two* weeks a year someplace. So, being physically fit will rest mostly on your shoulders, if you are not so inclined to do so on your own the Reserves aren't going to help.

** Now for what you do not want to hear. From your post you sound immature and someone who lacks initiative, and to be frank, a sheep - meaning 'follower' - my opinion? You are not ready for the military, Active or Reserve. This IS NOT a major *slap-down*, lots of young folks are the same - You wanted opinions.. I am giving you this as someone who has been in the elite and seen the mundane, and 19 years of experience as an NCO.

** NOW for what you would like to hear... if you choose to become a part of the military community go in with a positive attitude realizing that it will not be peaches and cream... IT CAN be all you will want it to be BUT IT IS YOU who will make that happen... and that means not sitting on your azz but being the best trooper in whichever outfit you find yourself.

PS: Looking for an income? Look at the military pay scale... pay is basically 4 days of regular military pay per month. And at a privates pay that MAY put gas in your car for a couple of weeks... it WILL NOT pay your rent etc, etc. It IS a nice SUPPLEMENT to whatever income you may have...

Last edited:
I have no motivation to do any working out because any time I try to go to the gym and work out, my mom doesn't let me. She comes up with some weird excuse.

^ This is your 1st problem. You should not have an excuse of "my mom doesn't let me" to stop you from working out. This sounds like your excuse. If your serious about joining you need to find some motivation to work out. Understand that you do not need to go to a gym to work out, there should be nothing stopping you from running or doing sit-ups and push-ups. You can do that on your own time at your own home.

M551sheridan what a great overview!
thank you....... just calling a spade a spade. To many young folks play those damn *killer videos* and see glamor in combat... there certainly IS excitement but no such thing as John Wayne and the pretty nurse holding hands in the sunset....... I know.. stupid me looked all over the jungle for that nurse...

wanna know sumthin? --- never did find her... o'John did done *LIED* to me. who woulda thunkit.:9mm::biggun: and I had such grand plans for me and her too

Ive been thinking about taking a break from real work to go do a stint helping out with the Basics. I'll wait till ive got rank but I reckon itd be a sweet eight weeks.
The best bit would be the rainy days...

thank you....... just calling a spade a spade. To many young folks play those damn *killer videos* and see glamor in combat... there certainly IS excitement but no such thing as John Wayne and the pretty nurse holding hands in the sunset....... I know.. stupid me looked all over the jungle for that nurse...

wanna know sumthin? --- never did find her... o'John did done *LIED* to me. who woulda thunkit.:9mm::biggun: and I had such grand plans for me and her too

Judging from cadences, I'm guessing some dick named "Jody" is your problem. He's got your nurse.

Anyways Osiphen, I think you should join except instead of joining the Nasty Girls you should go active duty. That way the structure that you need is there every day and not just once a month. Like m551sheridan said, you don't sound like you'll easily fit into a military lifestyle... but maybe that's exactly why you need it.

Buddy you have answered your own question. Give it a poke and see if they will take you. After that you have to ask yourself if it will work for you...

I did 12 years and it was the most amazing/crap/awesome/terrible time. But you know what; I did it, sucked up the shizzle and loved the good stuff....

Man up and decide, if you join you may have to go to a war zone and fight for your life and the life of the person next to you. That is something to think about. I remember being scared sh1tless in a bunker facing funk knows what (the first time), but I did it and after that; I was more confident in the same situation.

One you can choose; but you can bail early if you don't fit

Do it, but go active duty. I love the army, but i hate only being able to do it a weekend a month. I wish I could go back and just forge my parents' signatures instead of going reserve.

I'm scared because it's a six year contract and I'm not sure what could happen. I am honestly afraid of being shipped out to war and getting shot and permanently disabled - or worse.
I'd be more concerned about "worse". You know, like NOT going and NEVER finding out IF you could do it or not. If you enlist, count on go to war. You can't join any part of the service and truly expect to not see war. Little secret for ya- that's what you're there for.

I've never been a very physical active person, but I've been interested in martial arts recently - I'm not very strong, but I'm not over-weight. I'm 5'5, 140lbs. I have no motivation to do any working out because any time I try to go to the gym and work out, my mom doesn't let me. She comes up with some weird excuse.
Go USMC. Buddy, they'll turn your life around, like it or not! Army is good, I was Army, but truth is, the USMC is more hard core than Army and the NG has no comparison.

As for motivation, I have the answer for ya. Go to the school of hard knocks for a year. "School of hard knocks"? Yep. Go live on the street for a year. Homeless. After that year I think you'll have motivation. If not then you'll likely end up in Rikers Island, Sing Sing or dead in the gutter. Is that harsh? Not really. That's the way life is. That's exactly where you might end up if you don't start making something of your life now.

So enlist. You'll hate the first 6 months, but you'll love the rest of your life because of the changes it'll make in you.

I've been pampered my entire life. I've never even made my own bed. I want to actually go out there and do things for myself for once.
You're kidding, right? Make it yourself. Do your laundry yourself. Cook for yourself.

Most importantly, live your life for yourself.

I just need to know, is it worth it for me?
Yes it is.

So enlist. And if you do, and you make it through, come back and tell us what you think of your decision.

I'm telling you to enlist, then I tell you to live your own life. Kind of a mixed message I guess. Really I'm just trying to help you. All of here are, really.

Hi im 19, and i live in london, England. Recently (with-in) the last month i have decided i want to make a career in the US military, i do not have any previous history in the army or military backgrounds, but im eager to learn, i would appreciate anyone's advice on how i can do this, or if anyone has done this and has experience that would be appreciated thank you for reading my post.

Regards.

Just do it. If you do odds are you'll appreciate the choice. If you don't, you'll regret not doing it. You'll keep wondering "what if?"

So I say just do it.

Hi im 19, and i live in london, England. Recently (with-in) the last month i have decided i want to make a career in the US military, i do not have any previous history in the army or military backgrounds, but im eager to learn, i would appreciate anyone's advice on how i can do this, or if anyone has done this and has experience that would be appreciated thank you for reading my post.

Regards.

Why don't you join your local TA unit and see how it goes?

Regards.

Provided you're a UK citizen, what's wrong with the British military?

Back