Gun Control - Major General Peter Cosgrove at his best -

Read more about The post "Military noise complaint" reminded me of this Not sure if this is his best, he has done a great many things, but this is certainly a funny one. For th

International Military Forums > >
User Name
Password

March 12th, 2009   #1
mjw82

Gun Control - Major General Peter Cosgrove at his best info

The post "Military noise complaint" reminded me of this
Not sure if this is his best, he has done a great many things, but this is certainly a funny one.

For those that donít know him, Major General Peter Cosgrove is an Australian treasure
General Cosgrove was interviewed on the radio recently.
Youíll love his reply to the lady who interviewed him concerning guns and children. Regardless of how you feel about gun laws you gotta love this! This is one of the best comeback lines of all time. It is a portion of an ABC interview between a female broadcaster and General Cosgrove who was about to sponsor a Boy Scout Troop visiting his military headquarters.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER:
So, General Cosgrove, what things are you going to teach these young boys when they visit your base?

GENERAL COSGROVE:
Weíre going to teach them climbing, canoeing, archery and shooting.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER:
Shooting! Thatís a bit irresponsible, isnít it?

GENERAL COSGROVE:
I donít see why, theyíll be properly supervised on the rifle range.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER:
Donít you admit that this is a terribly dangerous activity to be teaching children?

GENERAL COSGROVE:
I donít see how. We will be teaching them proper rifle discipline before they even touch a firearm.!

FEMALE INTERVIEWER:
But youíre equipping them to become violent killers.

GENERAL COSGROVE:
Well, Maíam, youíre equipped to be a prostitute, but youíre not one, are you?

The radio went silent and the interview ended

--
March 12th, 2009   #2
senojekips

Who makes up this crap.

It's not even vaguely true and has been written about just about every Military man of any significance since WW I.

http://www.snopes.com/military/reinwald.asp

"I am totally responsible for what I write,... however I cannot be held responsible for your complete inability to understand"

Last edited by senojekips; March 12th, 2009 at 23:38..

March 12th, 2009   #3
mjw82

haha really? got it in a forward doing the rounds. Nice waste of storage space then...

March 13th, 2009   #4
AB_Shorts_Momma

I love the ending line, no matter who made it up!

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, is directly proportional to how they perceive the veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated." ~George Washington

March 13th, 2009   #5
BritinAfrica

Its actually quite accurate.

I try to be the man my dog thinks I am.

March 13th, 2009   #6
senojekips

It's actually an insult to the intelligence of ex Major General Peter Cosgrove, and also to those expected to believe it was said by him.

Maj. Gen Cosgrove was a charismatic and well thought of leader and does not need such rubbish attributed to his name.

Patting ourselves and our leaders on the back is not what Aussies are all about. Attributing them with oafish behaviour is even worse.

If perhaps it was said of some Digger, it might actually be credible.

Last edited by senojekips; March 13th, 2009 at 21:52..

March 14th, 2009   #7
tomtom22

Quote:
Originally Posted by senojekips
It's actually an insult to the intelligence of ex Major General Peter Cosgrove, and also to those expected to believe it was said by him.

Maj. Gen Cosgrove was a charismatic and well thought of leader and does not need such rubbish attributed to his name.

Patting ourselves and our leaders on the back is not what Aussies are all about. Attributing them with oafish behaviour is even worse.

I totally agree with you, spike.

"It doesn't take a hero to order men into battle. It takes a hero to be one of those men who goes into battle." - Norman Schwarskopf, Commander of Desert Storm Operations

March 14th, 2009   #8
BritinAfrica

There has been a flood of this story attributed to various people over the past few years.

March 14th, 2009   #9
senojekips

Yeah, It's what some clod like myself might have said,... if I was thinking fast enough .

But Peter Cosgrove,... I think not.

March 17th, 2009   #10
AZ_Infantry

Quote:
Originally Posted by senojekips

What's a "Digger?"

Tags
cosgrove, donít, female, general, interviewer