~Greatest civilization ever~

Status
Not open for further replies.
One must define "greatest" in order to answer your question. Would longest standing empire warrant the title greatest civilization? Or would it be the empire with the most contributions to science, the arts, mathematics, et cetera?

I'll think about this one a bit more, though the Roman Empire immediately shot into my head upon reading the title of this thread.

Romans sure do stand in the forefront.

An interesting one to throw into the mix might be Imperialist England, they did more to globalize and modernize the world than anyone.

And of course I can't leave out my native country, we Americans are so awsome :p

Im going to have to go with ancient greece. They advanced the farthest in military tactics, technology, science, culture, achritecture, not to mention the bitrch of democracy.

Rabs said:
Im going to have to go with ancient greece. They advanced the farthest in military tactics, technology, science, culture, achritecture, not to mention the bitrch of democracy.

I don't think I can agree with you because saying "ancient greece" is a lot like saying "modern Europe." It was as fractured, different, and problematic as Europe has been in the last century.

If you are aiming at Athens (like many tend to do when they talk about greece) then I certainly disagree since they got rolled by the spartans millitarily and our founding fathers based American democracy much more on Sparta than Athens.

I'll go with the Celts.

Fantastic artwork, massive works in stone, the invention of chain mail, closeness to the land and nature all of these meant a great deal, but most of all they developed a high degree of civilization when the Egyptians hadn't made a single pyramid yet and having done so did not feel the need to subjugate others to that civilization.

There are so many to chose from. Just look at Alexandra The Great he set up an Empire right across the middle east and chunks of Asia. The Egyptians had a great Empire, So did the Romans and we must not forget the lands of the Vikings who managed to spread far and wide.

If your going to go with the shapeing of westren culture and politics i would have to say the Romans. Il stick to my guns though, i think Greece namely Athens was in my opinion the greatest civlization in history. Almost all of Roman culture comes from Greek culture, there architecture, and gods and cermoneys and in lots of ways there form of government.

Sparta. I have long admired Sparta's warrior culture. The most feared civilization of all time in my opinion. Quite literally a race of warriors. Raised to be warriors begining at age 8. An absolutely amazing civilization.

LeEnfield said:
There are so many to chose from. Just look at Alexandra The Great he set up an Empire right across the middle east and chunks of Asia. The Egyptians had a great Empire, So did the Romans and we must not forget the lands of the Vikings who managed to spread far and wide.

Egyptians certainly are up there but not sure I'd give a vote to the Vikings or Alexander. The vikings were great explorers and conquerors but weren't up there when it came to adding to science, culture, etc. Alexander also expanded his empire really well and made many improvements to the military but he didn't do a fantastic job of setting up his empire for longevity - it fell apart right after his death (though Leonidas had some success.)

I'm tossing up between Rome, China and the Ottomans. The first two have already had some discussion but the Ottomans managed to unify the most difficult nations on earth then proceeded to conquer half of Europe, North Africa and up into the Crimea. The empire lasted 600 years and they advanced the military, science, philosophy and art - not a bad contender.

No-one mentioned the British Empire either - you know "sun never sets on the British Empire" and all that jazz.

can you really name one for grate.. some had a grate army, some grate leadership, some were grate at peace make-ing? it would be hard to name 1 :?:

can you really name one for grate.. some had a grate army, some grate leadership, some were grate at peace make-ing? it would be hard to name 1 :?:

can you really name one for grate.. some had a grate army, some grate leadership, some were grate at peace make-ing? it would be hard to name 1

Under that criteria it would be hard to agrue against the US of A.

nice spelling of great btw :p

MightyMacbeth said:
Ok, which civilization you think deserves the title??
Many powerful Civilizations came with went. It depends on what perspective you take the comparison for!

Alexander - The Great was the most powerful warrior and he conquered Babylonian Empire and he was even given status of Pharoah in Egypt.

Babylonian Empire was famous for its wonderful contructions and one of them is "Hanging Gardens of Babylon". It was also the most beautiful Empire to ever exist.

Eqyptians had a wonderful empire and their constructions are marvels in true sense and this shows their level of progress and craftsmenship and projection of power over neighbours.

Roman Empire was a European Icon and it had the longest period of rule though this could be disputed by Ancient Chinese Empire.

Saba Empire in Arabia had the strongest military and they were famous for building a huge DAM and had a very advanced irrigation system and living standard. This Empire ruled for 500 years. Sabian army even defeated a famous Roman General in Eqypt. They were never defeated in battles.

Mongols were the only ones to demostrate supermacy in terms of military might and projection of power and there conquest was the biggest of all which included Russia. They ruled for 200 years.

Then Ottoman Empire came in to existance (the biggest in muslim history) and it stretched from Spain to Pakistan. This empire stood and remained un-rivaled for 400 years.

The British Empire was also among the greatest and it stood for 200 years. It was so big that a term "sun never set on english empire" was used to describe its span.

Hitler was also a very powerful leader and destroyed the supermacy of British Empire and French Empire. He also caused mass exodus of Jews from Europe. I can say that he changed the world with WWII.

USA now is the sole super-power nation who commands the most advanced military this world has ever seen with effective projection of power and it has vast reserves of treasures as well but at the same time it is under constant conflicts with rivals and yet it does not excepts defeat. But one day its time will come as well.

From this synopses you cant select a single nation as the superior to all but each had its shot.

But I tell you that next shot would be of Muslims once again! 8)

TBA_PAKI said:
MightyMacbeth said:
Ok, which civilization you think deserves the title??
Many powerful Civilizations came with went. It depends on what perspective you take the comparison for!

Alexander - The Great was the most powerful warrior and he conquered Babylonian Empire and he was even given status of Pharoah in Egypt.

Babylonian Empire was famous for its wonderful contructions and one of them is "Hanging Gardens of Babylon". It was also the most beautiful Empire to ever exist.

Eqyptians had a wonderful empire and their constructions are marvels in true sense and this shows their level of progress and craftsmenship and projection of power over neighbours.

Roman Empire was a European Icon and it had the longest period of rule though this could be disputed by Ancient Chinese Empire.

Saba Empire in Arabia had the strongest military and they were famous for building a huge DAM and had a very advanced irrigation system and living standard. This Empire ruled for 500 years. Sabian army even defeated a famous Roman General in Eqypt. They were never defeated in battles.

Mongols were the only ones to demostrate supermacy in terms of military might and projection of power and there conquest was the biggest of all which included Russia. They ruled for 200 years.

Then Ottoman Empire came in to existance (the biggest in muslim history) and it stretched from Spain to Pakistan. This empire stood and remained un-rivaled for 400 years.

The British Empire was also among the greatest and it stood for 200 years. It was so big that a term "sun never set on english empire" was used to describe its span.

Hitler was also a very powerful leader and destroyed the supermacy of British Empire and French Empire. He also caused mass exodus of Jews from Europe. I can say that he changed the world with WWII.

USA now is the sole super-power nation who commands the most advanced military this world has ever seen with effective projection of power and it has vast reserves of treasures as well but at the same time it is under constant conflicts with rivals and yet it does not excepts defeat. But one day its time will come as well.

From this synopses you cant select a single nation as the superior to all but each had its shot.

But I tell you that next shot would be of Muslims once again! 8)

Happy to play cricket against you....but I think I'll leave this game alone, though I'm pretty certain others will be only too happy to indulge you which I suspect is what you intended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back