Got bored so I cleaned the safe.

5.56X45mm

Milforum Mac Daddy
SAFECLEANING.jpg

I wonder what the guy in England who found the .22 short on the ground would think about this picture?

I turned one room in my house into a safe room. It is the room in the center of my house. It was no windows or doors leading to the outside. I tore down the drywall and replaced it all with concrete cinder blocks. I filled the blocks with sand. Makes a pretty good barrier to prevent someone from breaking into the room. Also makes a good barrier for someone trying to shoot me. Six inches of sand will stop most common rounds. As for the sand, that was free thyanks to my local beach. Just took a couple of truck loads and some friends to help me move the stuff. Anyways, I replaced the door to the room with a metal frame door with a diamond plate covering. Also filled that with sand. It's great when a friend has a two story machine shop. Got some good set of locks. All were GI surplus locks used to secure government locations like nuclear weapons. Gotta love Government Liquidation.

The room is my toy room. I store all of my firearms, ammunition, equipment, and hurricane supplies in there. I have a reloading bench and press plus a work bench for working on firearms.

My next project is rebuilding a WWII generator. It's a Go-Devil engine from a Willys MB Jeep. Once I have that working, I'll have enough power to run the whole house without an issue. I also plan on installing a underground 500 gallon gasoline tank for the truck and generator. It will have it's own hand pump.

Reason why I can do all of this is because I'm single and have nothing to tie my money down. I plan to get my house as squared away as possible before I marry. And if my marrage falls apart, she wil not get the house because of a prenuptial agreement.

Also the IRS can't take my house because of Florida's Homestead law.

So I guess I can button up pretty tight if the SHTF.

I built a similar room in my cellar, as we are not in an area where flooding is possible. The door is a Simpson's drill proof, fire resistant door from a bank that was being remodeled in the early 60s, it cost me 15 Pounds (US$30) and I had to remove it myself which was done by hiring the local towtruck, the door and frame took me 2 days to remove from the building using a hydraulic pallet lifter and enerpac jacks, all begged or borrowed from various businesses after hours.

Unfortunately after spending a lot of time and effort I had to abandon the room due to condensation problems and rust forming on my weapons. We live in a fairly warm dry area and the water table is 80 feet down, but the room was just too cold to stop the moisture condensing everywhere. It's now a junk room.

My collection only ever peaked at 27 weapons but was nearly all modern military stuff, 1935 onwards.

Getting a little competitive with the book collection I see.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a very nice collection, though if I were building one I'd use all the money spent on the older rifles on top-of-the-line modern weapons.

DAMN!!! How did you got those money to pay all those rifles!!! Looks like you're ready for the war. haha. Nice collection. How many M1 Garand you got? Is that an Arisaka below right of the picture?

Is it just me, or did I count 5 Mausers in your collection there?

So when are you planning to storm Panama with your own private army? :D

Most of those firearms are C&R guns. I get the for $50-$100 piece and rebuild or refinish them.

Mausers are dirt cheap along with Mosin Nagants.

I already have my modern day stuffin a safe tha sits in my bedroom. That has my everyday AR-15 Carbine, Remington 870 Shotgun, and various pistols.

we just have one rifle...but its the AKM-47 full auto so you know....but if only israeli law would allow it id probably have many many rifles.

Back