Good words meaning bad things

Status
Not open for further replies.

We Dutch had an interesting little problem with the news on Iraq, specifically with anything to do with Al-Kut or Kut.
The word "kut" has a meaning in Dutch, it's a nasty word for a women's private parts. We use it in the same way as English speaking people would use "f*ck".
That made news on war progress in Iraq kind of funny, the newscaster trying to keep a straight face while using that word. :D
I wonder how that would have been handled in the US. We're allowed to broadcast any word we want, so although it was funny and sometimes awkward for the newscasters, it wasn't a legal problem.
Did any of you ever encounter anything like that? Using a word that means something completely different to someone else?

Edit: when you answer this, please mind your language. I don't want my topic closed because people don't think before they hit <Submit>

Most of the time you have to write "Richard" Cheney on posts, because his first name will be blocked out otherwise.

haha, yup. My uncle's name is Richard or in other words.... :lol: I personally don't like to say it, but others seem fine with it.

I have an Uncle Dick too.

A little off, I always use the word that means what I'm trying to say if it has a legitimate meaning. For instance, if I spefically want to refer to a female dog I will say *****, and if I am talking about being sent to Hell I will say damned. And if I am referring to a wild male donkey, I will say jackass. Used in the proper context these words are not vulgar anymore, at least in my mind. It drives my teachers nuts :lol:

Back on topic, I'm sure the FCC would have something to say. They kicked Howard Stern off the air because he used f***. Most stations would probably bleep it our or something. Legally, it could stand in court as to whether they could say it or not. I dunno.

Oh and btw there's that stinking language barrier again :lol: . I believe our slang translates different too. From what I gathered I don't think "kut" and f*** do not mean exactly the same thing, but I got the gist of it.

Well "fanny" over here means someone's fourth point of contact, but I hear that in England it has about the same meaning as "kut." :lol:

FutureRANGER said:
Oh and btw there's that stinking language barrier again :lol: . I believe our slang translates different too. From what I gathered I don't think "kut" and f*** do not mean exactly the same thing, but I got the gist of it.
As I said they don't mean the same, but they are used in the same way, for instance if I were to leave the house, shut the door and realise I forgot to bring my keys, I’d use that word to ventilate my annoyance. Off course, we don’t use the word “kut” in case of a translation of “f**k you” It’s not exactly the same word or use, but it’s as close as I can get to translating it. I think the mean reason for the use of words like F*ck and “kut” is the pronunciation, it’s just nice to shout or whisper and put your anger or frustration into that one word. There are worse ways to react to a setback…

Janie said:
Most of the time you have to write "Richard" Cheney on posts, because his first name will be blocked out otherwise.

Now thats fun. Yeah we used to have that kind of problem back in the 60s or 70s here, on TV. No one was allowed to use the word Membro ( member ) on TV, because it also means the man's big banana, you know. Or they couldn't say Scopare ( to sweep ), coz it also mean to f***k.
It was just so puritan. Now its all changed, though. But it sometimes happen that some names pop up such as dick, or balls, and the host just feigns nonchalance, y' know.
BTW I thought you americans used C**k more often than D**k.
Italian people studying English tend to use B**ch with the meaning of W**re, but as far as I know it just means a very nasty woman, right?

bumbags

FutureRANGER said:
:shock: Do they sell fanny packs in England? And if they do what do they call them?

i'm am pretty sure them bags are called the same thing as in austrailia bumbags because they tend to be worn at the back:)

Alright, sorry 1217, this is getting a little out of hand (don't want to be getting all of the junior high kids suspended :lol: ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back