General Discharge to PMC?

Username

Looking for some information and/or experience with a situation similar to mine. I was wondering if I should bother applying to some of the PMCs out there to settle some debt and help me and my family pay housing while I attend university after doing a contract or 2.

Problems are:
  • 1.5yrs active duty w/ US. Army (airborne - infantry)
  • Chaptered out (General discharge w/ Honorable Conditions) and barred from re-entry (AWOL)
  • No deployment experience

I went through RASP up until week 6 and was then removed for having tobacco in my locker during a random inspection. From here I went to the 82nd and my unit had just gotten back from their deployment about a month before my arrival. I was getting ready for prc (packet in and all) because I figured it would be easier to get back into a RASP class being tabbed - but I ended up going to a party, drank a little to much, got into an altercation and ended up with a boxer's fracture...due to this incident I wasn't allowed to go (healing time - almost lost out on jump pay), and when I finally healed up I asked if I could put in another packet only to be denied for what I had done so I went AWOL since I was pretty butt-hurt about the whole ordeal.

Looking for some information and/or experience with a situation similar to mine. I was wondering if I should bother applying to some of the PMCs out there to settle some debt and help me and my family pay housing while I attend university after doing a contract or 2.

Problems are:
  • Chaptered out (General discharge w/ Honorable Conditions) and barred from re-entry (AWOL)

I went through RASP up until week 6 and was then removed for having tobacco in my locker during a random inspection. From here I went to the 82nd and my unit had just gotten back from their deployment about a month before my arrival. I was getting ready for prc (packet in and all) because I figured it would be easier to get back into a RASP class being tabbed - but I ended up going to a party, drank a little to much, got into an altercation and ended up with a boxer's fracture...due to this incident I wasn't allowed to go (healing time - almost lost out on jump pay), and when I finally healed up I asked if I could put in another packet only to be denied for what I had done so I went AWOL since I was pretty butt-hurt about the whole ordeal.

I would suggest another approach to solve your financial situation. Focus on your degree and try to get a job meanwhile your are doing so. One solution can be to put your house out for rent and get an apartment. Depending on what you are studying, you will get a pretty good job when you are done.

Try putting your self in your employers shoes, and ask your self why they might have taken this action

Problems are:
I am afraid that a serious PMC Company will say thanks, but no thanks to you. You have no experience and furthermore gone AWOL

I am afraid that a serious PMC Company will say thanks, but no thanks to you. You have no experience and furthermore gone AWOL

I concur with this. Your experience is very little and in the PMC world it is a buyers market. The AWOL thing won't go over well either. It will look like you're a fair weather soldier, someone who only is willing to serve if they get to do what they want....unwilling to serve at the needs of the organization...good luck, but for you, education is the key.

Problems are:

You wouldn't be helping your family out if you ended up getting killed.
Or even worse, severely wounded needing them to feed you and take you out for walks in a wheelbarrow.
However there are companies that may very well take you on, even with a poor disciplinary record, but I would certainly do a massive amount of research into them first. You could always train in security and do some close protection work, not the ones where they all want ex sas, seals etc etc, but the bread and butter security with visiting wealthy nationals, it pays well, there is usually a decent tip at the end of most jobs and the risk is usually very small.
However the hours can be unpleasant if you have a civvie mindset and some of the people you look after can be quite rude and arrogant.

With a family to look after, I would choose a job that wouldn't put me into harms way.

Back