Fury

namvet

great reviews on this one

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1xli7OTE_0[/ame]

come out on netflix Jan 27. im signed up

American Sniper

from clint eastwood. based on a trued story of Iraq or afghan

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bP1f_1o-zo[/ame]

Looks like a couple of excellent movies..
t2009.gif

wifes' after me to go see this

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrjJbl7kRrI"]Unbroken Official Trailer #1 (2014) - Angelina Jolie Directed Movie HD - YouTube[/ame]

Looks like a couple of excellent movies..
t2009.gif
I haven't looked at the second clip yet but the first one looked ludicrous.

I am not sure where the directors, writers or producers developed the idea that German tanks and troops marched line abreast into battle nor can I understand at what point in WW2 German Tiger tanks decided that the best form of offense was to circle an American tank at a range of about 2 metres point its 88mm at it.

That scene I find the most bizarre given that the Tiger could have destroyed the US tank at 2000 metres and the US one could barely dent the German one at 500 metres.

If I was to be nice I would say it looks like a cross between an action cartoon meets the US war of independence and if I was to be honest I would say it looks like another Hollywood flag-fest that will be little more than an insult to everyone that fought in WW2 except the USA who's troops will come out looking 18 foot tall and capable of eating there way through the sides of German tanks.

I am sorry but I hate movies like that, I believe very strongly that if you genuinely want to honour those who served in these wars tell the truth because for the most part the truth is just as interesting, do not make these idiotic flag-fests which are little more than a bastardisation of history and an insult to the countless people who died during WW2 and my intelligence.

I will rate it along side "Inglorious Bastards and U-571" as movies to forget.

Last edited:
I really liked Inglorious Bastards!
Fantasy, yeah, but I happen to enjoy Quentin Tarantino's work. ;)

Dadsgirl
P.s. oh, and getting back at the evildoers, even if fantasy .... me likey.

Last edited:

I am not sure where the directors, writers or producers developed the idea that German tanks and troops marched line abreast into battle nor can I understand at what point in WW2 German Tiger tanks decided that the best form of offense was to circle an American tank at a range of about 2 metres point its 88mm at it.

That scene I find the most bizarre given that the Tiger could have destroyed the US tank at 2000 metres and the US one could barely dent the German one at 500 metres.

If I was to be nice I would say it looks like a cross between an action cartoon meets the US war of independence and if I was to be honest I would say it looks like another Hollywood flag-fest that will be little more than an insult to everyone that fought in WW2 except the USA who's troops will come out looking 18 foot tall and capable of eating there way through the sides of German tanks.

I am sorry but I hate movies like that, I believe very strongly that if you genuinely want to honour those who served in these wars tell the truth because for the most part the truth is just as interesting, do not make these idiotic flag-fests which are little more than a bastardisation of history and an insult to the countless people who died during WW2 and my intelligence.

I didn't initially watch that clip (watched the main clip). The tank clip does show a Sherman and a Tiger_1 right next to each other about to engage. However it seems to show a group of 5 or 6 Sherman's advancing on a single Tiger_1 with several Sherman's taking hits from a distance before the Sherman in question was able to get right up on the Tiger. That may not have been so unrealistic (without seeing the movie).
Often to take out a Tiger 1 or 2 the Allies (and the Soviets) had to sacrifice (2 to 4) tanks to hopefully get one up close enough and along side the Tiger to destroy it. Maybe not as close as was show in the movie but that's Hollywood.

What it boils down to is that I am tired of having my intelligence insulted by movies who persist on waving flags and portraying everything as 1950s cliches where German officers either shoot dissenters or send them to the Russian front and the really bad ones get shot and then sent to the Russian front, the entire Japanese dialogue for most movies is "Banzai" and "Die American imperialist Yankee dog", the British spend most of the war sounding posh and drinking tea and Aussies did nothing more than sound funny, steal and get into fights.

I am prepared to suspend reality for movies that are clearly fiction but I expect movies that try and recreate historical events to be as close to factual as possible.

What it boils down to is that I am tired of having my intelligence insulted by movies who persist on waving flags and portraying everything as 1950s cliches where German officers either shoot dissenters or send them to the Russian front and the really bad ones get shot and then sent to the Russian front, the entire Japanese dialogue for most movies is "Banzai" and "Die American imperialist Yankee dog", the British spend most of the war sounding posh and drinking tea and Aussies did nothing more than sound funny, steal and get into fights.

I am prepared to suspend reality for movies that are clearly fiction but I expect movies that try and recreate historical events to be as close to factual as possible.

I can go either way where a movie is concerned. Taken for example, Inglorious Bastards...near the beginning of the film. Shoshana and her siblings were hiding under the floorboards. Then he started to shoot at the floor. Tell me, like that wasn't, isn't real?! In his films there are some factoids swimming around...(Uh, Django?!..wrong thread)
You get what I'm saying I do believe.
Ta for now.

Dadsgirl

Quite honestly I watched the first film , really cared less about the premise of the film or even the A list actors in it. The only reason I watched it is watching Tiger 131 perform admirably , I literally contemplated after watching this scene standing up in the theater and then leaving, my $8.00 having been well spent in that goal of seeing the only running Tiger for the first time used in a movie.

I make no mistake to mix what I see in these movies with the events that unfolded in the 2nd World War. As with most films it honestly boils down to what country has made it, I just recently watched the new movie titled simply "Stalingrad" developed in Russia, another patriot flagfest from the Russian perspective, almost like the movie "9th Company".

I rarely watch military movies due to this obvious bias. As with both "Fury "and "Stalingrad" not one mention of any news outside the glorious American or Soviet War effort in both films is mentioned. Not one mention of how the Brits or Canadians are doing, not one mention of Soviet Atrocities committed along the same lines as the Nazi ones during the war. Not one shot of the devastation wrought on German cities such as Dresden. Rampant homelessness and other obvious human tragedies suffered by all sides in Europe or East Asia during the war, especially with the civilian populace.

At which point sometimes it's best to turn off one's laptop or TV and instead learn about and hold critical respect for the lesson's of this conflict , and how instead maybe we should strive not to repeat it.

So if you can hold this grain of salt in mind I will admit each of the films I listed in this post do have their entertaining set pieces. And from a business perspective the movie industry is out for one thing: Making money so you can already expect an imperfect take on history.

For I am not an expert in such fields such as armed combat however I have a pretty good hint it's not a glorious testosterone soaked affair conducted to the backdrop of a score of intense music and waiving flags.

Last edited:
I make no mistake to mix what I see in these movies with the events that unfolded in the 2nd World War. As with most films it honestly boils down to what country has made it, I just recently watched the new movie titled simply "Stalingrad" developed in Russia, another patriot flagfest from the Russian perspective, almost like the movie "9th Company".

No but many do, a friend of mine grades university level papers and more and more frequently he shows up with papers using these movies as references to historical events.

The reality is that as people become more and more lazy they simply buy into these stories and start parroting them as fact and the thing that scares me the most is that a generation from now these people will be teaching this nonsense to their kids who in tern will perpetuate it with their kids.

Eventually they become fact through the shear number of lazy bastards referencing them.

As I have said I do not mind people making movies that are far fetched action movies but I believe they should be clearly defined as such as I am not sure people these days have enough initiative to determine fact from fiction anymore.

Quite honestly I watched the first film , really cared less about the premise of the film or even the A list actors in it. The only reason I watched it is watching Tiger 131 perform admirably , I literally contemplated after watching this scene standing up in the theater and then leaving, my $8.00 having been well spent in that goal of seeing the only running Tiger for the first time used in a movie.

I rarely watch military movies due to this obvious bias. As with both "Fury "and "Stalingrad" not one mention of any news outside the glorious American or Soviet War effort in both films is mentioned. Not one mention of how the Brits or Canadians are doing, not one mention of Soviet Atrocities committed along the same lines as the Nazi ones during the war. Not one shot of the devastation wrought on German cities such as Dresden. Rampant homelessness and other obvious human tragedies suffered by all sides in Europe or East Asia during the war, especially with the civilian populace.

At which point sometimes it's best to turn off one's laptop or TV and instead learn about and hold critical respect for the lesson's of this conflict , and how instead maybe we should strive not to repeat it.

So if you can hold this grain of salt in mind I will admit each of the films I listed in this post do have their entertaining set pieces. And from a business perspective the movie industry is out for one thing: Making money so you can already expect an imperfect take on history.

For I am not an expert in such fields such as armed combat however I have a pretty good hint it's not a glorious testosterone soaked affair conducted to the backdrop of a score of intense music and waiving flags.

As for atrocities during the ~ 6 years of WW2 the Nazi's were responsible for the death of 25 million civilians, maybe more. Greater than 15 million in the USSR alone, where more Ukrainians died-were killed than Jewish people in the holocaust. Making them the fastest murderers in history.

Stalin was responsible for killing several million suspect minorities and ethnic Germans during and after WW2. Also upwards to 1 million Germans were killed in the madness that erupted when the Red Army initially occupied eastern Germany.

The Allies killed ~ (0.6 to 1) million people in Europe via bombing most were Germans, however many were, French and Italians as German strongholds were reduced to ruble even if civilians were present, such as Caen.

For that 6 year stint (39 to 45) Hitler ellipses Stalin as the bad guy, and since his war resulted in the death of ~ 60 million probably buts him safely at #1 for all time.
The US does have some righteous pride concerning the conflict as well. By our industrial might we supplied both Britain and the USSR during their critical hours of need. Later our troops along with those of Britain and the common wealth drained critical troops and resources away from the Russian front. I believe Hitler lost the war the day he declared war on the US, while remaining entrenched in the USSR. However these movies don't show the average solder doing his duty and grinding it out to save his colleagues neck r does it.

Although it's the Eastern front: the World War 1 to World War 2 Forum, Sticky "the Horrors of War" videos " present a good look at the situation

Last edited:
I think you're all a bunch of fuddy duds.
m0411.gif

I loved Inglorious Bastards too dadsgirl. Most of these movies might claim to be based on a true story but we all know this may be about 5 percent true.

Oliver Stone wrote a few movies which were based on true stories too.. "Born On the Fourth of July".. "Platoon".. I cant remember them all but they didn't paint a pretty picture. They were all excellent movies in my opinion.
m04107.gif

Namvet... I hope you take your wife to see "Unbroken".

You need to see the movie, it isn't what you think. No boy scout movie in this one...

I think you're all a bunch of fuddy duds.
m0411.gif

I loved Inglorious Bastards too dadsgirl. Most of these movies might claim to be based on a true story but we all know this may be about 5 percent true.

Oliver Stone wrote a few movies which were based on true stories too.. "Born On the Fourth of July".. "Platoon".. I cant remember them all but they didn't paint a pretty picture. They were all excellent movies in my opinion.http:/[/quote]

Maybe,but Oliver Stone is a censored SOB.

movies are like novels, the purpose is to entertain. Even if they are claiming to be based on true stories, they are altered to be entertaining.

If we want to know the facts about certain events, there are other sources to use, written by credible scientists.

Back