Fiercest Battle in History

About Fiercest Battle in History Page 12

International Military Forums > Military History Forums > General Military History Forum
User Name
Password

February 17th, 2005   #111
Young Winston

I am reading a book called "HELL IN THE PACIFIC".

The first hand descriptions of battles are keeping me awake at night thinking about them.

I would have automatically picked Stalingrad but I think some of the battles in New Guinea, Guadalcanal etc are right up there. They are written in horrific detail in the book. It must have been a nightmare for the boys and young men who were there.

The Japanese atrocities are appalling.

Some of the US boys used to send letter openers home carved out of dead Japanese soldiers thigh bones!!!!!!!!

Hope I get some sleep tonight

February 17th, 2005   #112
lemontree

Most battles fought are bad enough. But the ones that are rated bloody ones are :-
Battle of Berlin
Battles in Saipan Island WW2.
Battle of Stalingrad.
I'll add a few more that are not well known.
- Battle of Sarghari 1897.
Quote:
SARAGHARI , a small signalling post on the Samana Range in the North-West Frontier Province of India between Forts Lockhart and Gulistan. It is memorable for the stout defence made by its garrison of 21 sepoys of the 36th Sikhs in 1897. Saraghari, a mere mud block-house with a wooden door and a dead-angle, was held for six and a half hours against seven or eight thousand Orakzais, till the 21 Sikhs were finally overwhelmed and killed to a man. A memorial in commemoration was unveiled at Ferozepore in 1904.
- Battle of Razangla 1962 ('C' company of 13 Kumaon, held out against a brigade attack of PLA, out of 104 men only 5 returned back alive. PLA casualties were approx 600).

February 18th, 2005   #113
MadeInChina

source please:::

and i dont think i can take the stastics of chinese deaths if it was a punjab site

A signature is a little text that can be added at the bottom of the posts you make. It\'s limited to 300 characters (size 7 to 12) on 5 line(s) and 1 image(s) with none larger than 100x500 pixels and for a maximum of 20Kb. In your text, no more than 100 characters without space too.

February 18th, 2005   #114
lemontree

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA
source please:::

and i dont think i can take the stastics of chinese deaths if it was a punjab site
Here are your link.
http://orbat.com/site/cimh/battles/114chushul.html
If you have a link to contradict this then please post it.

February 19th, 2005   #115
Mike Main

I think most people would agree that the toughest fight is a mass hand to hand combat situation. On that note, I would think some of the battles fought during the Greek and Roman era would be in the running. Hand to hand combat, no killing further away than you can throw a spear.
In other words, no easy way out. You go nose to nose with the enemy and hack him to death, or get hacked to death.
While there has been moments in modern history where hand to hand broke out, ugly indeed, during the Greek and Roman times it was the only option.

BigMike

February 19th, 2005   #116
TBA_PAKI

--> The bloodiest Modern battle was in-fact "Battle of Stalingrad" without any doubt!

Total death toll was estimated to be 1,109,000 and more then 600,000 wounded. This battle started in the summer of 1942 and ended on 21 January 1943.

--> The 2nd bloodiest battle was was the 142-day Battle of the Somme (WWI - from 1 July to 19 November 1916). More then 1.22 million casualties (dead and wounded) took place of which 398,671 were British (57,470 on the first day alone) and more then 600,00 German and rest were French (official account not known).

--> Also the 880-day seige of Leningrad was among the bloodiest which was maintained by German Army from 30 August 1941 until 27 January 1944. The death toll here is estimated between 1.3 million - 1.5 million. This includes 641,000 civilians. More then 100,000 bombs were dropped on this city alone.

February 19th, 2005   #117
MadeInChina

All content 2004 Ravi Rikhye...

yup, thats definetly a biased article alright

February 19th, 2005   #118
chewie_nz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA
All content 2004 Ravi Rikhye...

yup, thats definetly a biased article alright
well produce something that counters it....

February 19th, 2005   #119
MadeInChina

lol dont have to, that battle may be made up for all it matters

February 19th, 2005   #120
chewie_nz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA
lol dont have to, that battle may be made up for all it matters
in other words...you have nothing to disprove what has been said. so in that case it could be true1`. fair enough, time for me to go looking

http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en...e+Search&meta=