• Crusades

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Medieval Wars

• Zulu War

• Total voters

Duty Honor Country

Anyone who likes the military has that one war that they can never get enought material for. I know that WWII is probably going to have more votes than any other war. I left out Korea becuase there is not too many people who live for that war.

If I have left out any war that you love to study, PM me or post it here and I will make it a voting option. I tried to add in all the popular ones. Some wars fell into a series of wars such as Napoleonic Wars, so I labeled them as such. Since I am very shaky with the past wars of Asia, I know I am going to have to add some of those in this poll.

Cheers.

SGT Doody

I like the napoleonic wars, britain at its best and the foundation for the spread of the british empire. Also the battle, politics, people etc. intrigue me.

For me it's WW2, in particular the Eastern Front. The most titanic and bloody struggle between 2 nations in the history of humankind and no war before, or since, can compare.

Zulu war

I like te Zulu war the best because it has that zeel about it, it was a 'heroic war' with the wel-disciplined British soldiers dressed in red, who make lasts stands, defend barricades and frm squares to beat of the courages and determind Zulus.

Doppleganger mentioned the eastern front as being the most titanic struggle ever between two nations. Well my interest is WW2 and Finnish participation in it. That was more like a battle between one titanic country and one lilliputian country.

The 65th anniversary of the Winter War is actually coming soon on the 30th of November.

World War II was the most enormous and most dynamic military contest in human history. Numerous new ideas were developed, numerous traditions were proven obsolete. World War II remains as the most defining war period in the world, and the first ever TRUE World War. Lets face it, during WW1, almost nothing was happening in East Asia -- where a huge chunk of the world's population was located. It was only worldwide by virtue of Europe's empires spanning the globe.

Hegario said:
Doppleganger mentioned the eastern front as being the most titanic struggle ever between two nations. Well my interest is WW2 and Finnish participation in it. That was more like a battle between one titanic country and one lilliputian country.

The 65th anniversary of the Winter War is actually coming soon on the 30th of November.

I'm interested about continuation war and specially about Battles fought in summer -44, Tali-Ihantala, Vuosalmi, Kuuterselkä, Siiranmäki etc.

Im going to have to say the second world war. This was the most important war in the history of human civilization. It was a clash between good and evil. Also it leads into the Cold War which I find interesting. You cant talk about the Cold War unless you talk about its roots from World War 2.

well i don't really have a favorite, a lot of them are really interesting. i really don't like to study the american civil war though. all of that slavery, brother against brother, no trust in the government stuff bothers me.

egoz said:
well i don't really have a favorite, a lot of them are really interesting. i really don't like to study the american civil war though. all of that slavery, brother against brother, no trust in the government stuff bothers me.

Well I am the one who voted for the Civil War. Slavery is not really big part of the war if you read what soldiers wrote at the time. Lincoln did not "free" the slaves until 2 years into the war. The move was more about keeping England from aiding the south rather than doing the right thing. Today's history books have played up the whole going to war over Slavery.

I like the Civil War because it was a war fought on American Soil, fought brother against brother, it is well documented, and took a whole lot of :cen: to march into combat in tight ranks with the technology each side had at the time.

Doody said:
Well I am the one who voted for the Civil War. Slavery is not really big part of the war if you read what soldiers wrote at the time. Lincoln did not "free" the slaves until 2 years into the war. The move was more about keeping England from aiding the south rather than doing the right thing. Today's history books have played up the whole going to war over Slavery.

I like the Civil War because it was a war fought on American Soil, fought brother against brother, it is well documented, and took a whole lot of :cen: to march into combat in tight ranks with the technology each side had at the time.
i realize that it wasn't all about slavery. there was more to it then that, like power over the legislature and policy towards new states, tons of little things contributed to make it what it was. but everything seemed really messy to me. it was a dark time in this nation so i tend to see it that way.

For me it's WW2, in particular the Eastern Front. The most titanic and bloody struggle between 2 nations in the history of humankind and no war before, or since, can compare.

I'd say the various crusades from 1095 onwards could possibly compare, maybe a bit.

My favourite war to study though is the second world war, due the vast scale, the advances in tactics, implications to the 50 years after it, plus there were so many different theatres of war within the one war: Western, Eastern, Atlantic, Baltic, Pacific, African, Middle East, China, Mediteranian etc etc etc.

I think like most people, WWII, because there are so many different aspects and politics to it. SO many different tpyes of battles (Battle of BRitain, Battle of the Atlantic, D-Day). But WWI is quite interesting because it was a catalyst for many military technological advances, such as the first tanks, aircraft etc.

This is a hard question for me to answer. I have basically moved in my interest from war to war starting with the American Revolution in my youth. I then moved on to the American Civil War, and now within the last few years I have gotten very interested in WWII. I think that the bulk of my interest is still with the ACW at this point with WWII gaining some ground. The Civil War is intriguing to me because of the technology advances that occurred during the war, the tactics used, the bravery displayed by men (I echo Doody's thoughts about the combat), and the personalities involved in the war - both military and political.
WWII again for technology, more interesting personalities, sheer scope of the conflict, and for a little bias - my Grandfather was wounded fighting in one of the Highland Regiments.

definelty eastern front, never in the face of mankind has such titantical clash happened, a war between the steel and will of the two alliances.

A definete closer view would be the battle of stalingrad, where the ending result is more than a million dead, even more than the battle of verdun or sommes

Its gotta be nepolean wars (can't spell today lol)

English navy back then is war history...............its what people still talk about and study.

so many films made about these years.............so many battles.

The royal navy ship HMS Monmonth stillcarries the "Black flag" and is nick named the duke.

This is due to the "Black Duke" retreating from war those 100s of yrs ago........so still to this day HMS Monmonth is no longer aloud to lead any fleet into battle

The civil war fascinates me because of its diversity. Also, a lot of new technology was used - submarines, armoured vessels, balloons for observation, repeater weapons. But, first of all, the zeal of the combattants.

Pity you left out the Korean war as this also had many interesting aspect. It was a maneuver war - I believe American losses superseded those of the Vietnam war? There were several firsts - jet fighters against jet fighter. Jets operating out of carriers, helicopters.

Back