Favorite War Movie?

I'm a bit of a military history purist I guess. So my top vote goes for Gettysburg. Most important battle in US history outside of the Revolutionary War and they got it right. That's a rare thing with military movies.

One of my favourites is the Finnish movie Talvisota (Vinterkriget in Swedish). The story is about the Finnish Winter War against the Soviet Union in 1939.

Don't know if it is available with English subtitles.

peacekeeper said:
One of my favourites is the Finnish movie Talvisota (Vinterkriget in Swedish). The story is about the Finnish Winter War against the Soviet Union in 1939.

Ahh! Finally someone nominated my favourite. (along with the Thin Red Line and Das Boot.)

Talvisota is indeed available with english subtitles. I know Americans, who have seen it.
Check it out:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098437/

acilius said:
peacekeeper said:

Ahh! Finally someone nominated my favourite. (along with the Thin Red Line and Das Boot.)

Talvisota is indeed available with english subtitles. I know Americans, who have seen it.
Check it out:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098437/

It was a really long time since I last watched it, I think I have to buy it soon.

1. Gettysburg-I think it really captured the emotions of the time, generals who were friends before the war forced to fight each other, it told of how guilty Lee felt about the deaths of fine men, and how Lee did not want to fight Gettysburg but was pressured to do so by Jefferson Davis because a win in Gettysburg, which is NORTH of Washington would have all but forced the Union to concede defeat.

2.Independence Day-I am a bit of a Sci-Fi nut, this movie really appeals to me, people put aside their differences, fight to preserve the Human Race, and of course the fact that it is America that takes the biggest losses and that it is America that figures out how to defeat them helps.

3. Platoon- I think this captures the emotions of Vietnam well, these soldiers did not want to go, the public did not want them to come back, they had to rely on each other for survival, and it shows the struggle they had to put up with.

4. We Were Soldiers-This movie shows a different aspect of Vietnam, the early years, back when the war was being won, basically before the reporters blew it all to hell, since it was the media that is responsible for the loss in Vietnam, it focuses much more on the families than many other war movies in the past.

5. The Lost Battalion.- This I believe shows that A. Germany greatly underestimated America's fighting ability (some people say that the German soldier in WWII was the best soldier in the world, I say that is BS) and B. showed that Germany was not as evil in WWI as many people think, they valued human life also, they made many offers of surrender to the 308th Infantry Battalion in hopes of saving more lives, plus the commanding officer had little respect for the Generals in charge who did not understand what was going on at the front and often sent thousands of men to certain death.

Yea Damien those were all pretty good movies, not many people have seen The Lost Battalion but i really like it.

the thing is though that most people thought that all the Germans were evil which was not true, Hitler and maybe a couple others were the only evil ones, everyone else was just influenced by Hitler's lies, most of them didn't want to murder Jews, that is why it was so hard to find people to run the deathcamps.

FAGGET HITLER, I WANT TO KILL HIM, oh yeah he is already dead.

My favourite war movie was Battle of Britain.

I hear that somebody or other in Holywood are planning a remake. I sure hope that they don't ruin it.

Hmmm a little known, but recent movie is Tae Guk Gi. A Korean movie on the Korean war.

Black Hawk Down is my fave though.
Other faves are:
A Bridge Too Far, Tears of the Sun and Band of Brothers.

I think Band of Brothers showed how a well funded TV-series could out perform most top of the line movies. I think any project with the right funding, this could be the future of on screen story telling. The fact that it's so long, and that it doesn't have to scrunch 3 years worth of events into 2 1/2 hours really helps.
I think people into the subject won't mind something that runs 10 hours long. remember the old plays and things? They ran on for ages!!! Tells you how to tell a good story, it needs time.

Some brainstorming of mine... I thought could be some war in the future. Maybe with a Mech theme. Actors and stuff really reflecting a military unit on the front lines. It has no real main character, but it starts with a unit of maybe 12 men. By the end of the series, the fight is still going on, the unit's name is the same and the area of conflict is the same. What's changed are the names and the faces... all 12 being different than from the start.
Personally am annoyed by TV series which have the same guys living forever.

No 1. has to be Das Boot as I just bought the extended edition of the miniseries on 2 DVD's. 4 hours 42 minutes. Actually watching it as I type. :)

The Winter War is a great movie and I truly recommend it to anyone hasn't yet seen it.

Band of Brothers was also great but anytime I saw David Schwimmer in it, I immediately thought "Oh there goes a**hole Ross." :p It was a great series and I've heard that the producerguys are trying to get a Pacific version made.

There are so many..

Blackhawk down is a good movie
Das Boot
We were soldiers
Bravo 20

Hard to say wich one is the best

Back