Father's Question re Marine PLC Program

Papadog

Hello - My daughter is a college student (19) and spoke to a Marine rep on campus today - He advised her to sign up for the Platoon Leadership Course this summer - Her goal really is to be a Navy nurse which she stated - He still said it would be a good experience for her - Would appreciate your thoughts on the matter -

Any leadership training is worthwhile. I don't believe this course will obligate her in any way and the USMC is part of the Navy.
Nurses are Officers and are, even in civilian jobs, in leadership positions.

Can't hurt and it will give her a head start on coping with the military environment.

Unless she accepts tuition assistance, she is under no obligation to the USMC via participation in PLC.

Only that recruiters are recruiters no matter how optimistic you choose to be. The course may not obligate her into any form of service, but it's not something you attend "for the experience".

Only that recruiters are recruiters no matter how optimistic you choose to be. The course may not obligate her into any form of service, but it's not something you attend "for the experience".

I was an involuntary recruiter and I hated every minute of it. It stuck in my craw that I had to beg and cajole spoiled kids to do something I loved.

I never lied or mislead an applicant and, while I was successful, my attitude caused problems with my superiors. They punished me by keeping me in the field 6 months past my time.

I have to disagree with you about the “experience”. I think most college students would benefit from 2/3 weeks of mild military discipline, even if they were not to serve.

I have to disagree with you about the “experience”. I think most college students would benefit from 2/3 weeks of mild military discipline, even if they were not to serve.

I agree. But PLC is 6 weeks per summer for two summers, and the two options at the end are:

1.) Commission as a Marine 2LT.
2.) Don't.

Neither of those add up to becoming a Navy Nurse. As I said above, there are programs designed for what she wants to do. Saying it's "good experience" is true, but it's clear that the program doesn't meet her intent.

The SWO has spoken...................................
Darn right. :p

My son is looking into this so if he takes the money he will be obligated to join? as an officer or enlisted?

Back