Failure's in history due to missed deadlines

EverettP

Hey everyone. I have a project I need to do for ROTC and it's over exactly what the topic says, Failure's in history due to missed deadlines. Does anyone know of any major events in ancient, america, military, etc history that turned out bad because deadlines were not met? Any help would be great ly appeciated. I can't seem to find any information on the internet no matter what search engine I use. Also, the more specific you can be about the event the better, I will need to cite sources.
Thanks

Roanke( the lost colony) can be blamed on because he was stuck in england instead oe being able to return with supplies...guess that would be a missed deadline.

One big missed deadline I can think of is the delay of Operation Typhoon, the German assault on Moscow, in 1941.

Originally planned for August 1941, Operation Typhoon did not start until 2nd October, mainly due to Hitler's erratic decision to secure the Ukraine first, the worst Autumn rains in living memory, the lack of a modern road and rail system in the USSR and determined, brave resistance by the Soviet defenders.

Had Operation Typhoon been launched on schedule, there was a good chance that Germany would have achieved decisive success in 1941 by capturing Moscow. Then, had the Germans been able to hold Moscow and fight of the expected Soviet winter counter-offensive, the collapse of the Soviet Union would probably have followed in 1942.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Typhoon

How about the battle of Fredericksburg during the Civil War. Ambrose Burnside had put together an excellent plan to attack the Army of Northern Virginia by crossing the Rappahannock on Pontoon Bridges.
The maneuver, if successful, would directly threaten Richmond while providing the Federal army with a secure supply line. The required pontoons were not delivered on time and resulted (along with Burnside's stupidity) in a slaughter of Federal troops at Marye's Heights. Had the they been on time perhaps the war would have ended 2 years earlier and Burnside would be the one to beat Lee and thought of as one of our nations greatest heroes! How about that one?

You can add to Typhoon, Opperation Barbarossa and Opperation Zietalle (sp?). It can very easily be argued that Germany lost the war vs the USSR on needless delays in the first 3 years of the conflict.

Perhaps a missed deadline could be Black Hawk Down, where the mission was only supposed to last 29 minutes extended to about 22 hours.

I don't remember the name but I will try to find it...it was in the AWFI and 3 leaders were leading men to attack I want to say Quabec and 2 got thier before the other one and that messed them up....or I could have the numbers changed around....I need to re-study that unit..

Back