Are Facts Stranger Than Fiction

LeEnfield

I was talking to another old Paratrooper from my old Battalion and he was telling me a story that no one believes.
Now back in 1954 1 Para was in Egypt and they were told to prepare for action. The planes arrived the trucks and guns were strapped to pallets and they were all armed to the teeth. The were called to the Mess Hall and informed there was good news and bad news. The CO announced that they had been chosen to reinforce the French at Denbinphu the bad news was the the French had surrendered so it had been called off.
The Battalion then went back to England where the the Corp of Drums and the Band of 1 Para were issued with a smart new blue uniform. They were then shipped out to Paris were they led a parade down the Champ Elysees to thank them for nearly going to war for them.
When they returned to England the blue uniforms were taken from them and they were told to forget it ever happened. There are very few photographs of this happening and even the Regiment has never heard of it. One person that has some photos is a chap called foster who was I believe a private at the time and who rose right through the ranks.
Well if any one can add any thing to this story I would love to hear from them.
Here is the only known Photograph of this parade

1ParainParis.jpg

Last edited:
I'd say your mate is right.

http://samilitaryhistory.org/vol063ns.html

The French predicament at Dien Bien Phu placed the Eisenhower Administration (1953-1961) on the horns of a dilemma with regard to what course of action it should take. The United States was anxious to prevent communist expansion not only in Europe but also in Asia and for that reason had committed its forces in the Korean War (1950-1953), and also, provided France with 2,6 billion dollars in the form of military materiel towards her military effort in Indo-China from 1950 to 1954.(5) Until the French situation at Dien Bien Phu became virtually hopeless, the American Government believed that the provision of military materiel alone would be sufficient to ensure a French success.

Early in 1954 Eisenhower stated, 'I cannot conceive of a greater tragedy for America than to get involved now in an all-out war in any of those regions, particularly with large units'.(6) Aware nevertheless that direct American intervention might be necessary, Eisenhower formulated three requirements that would have to be met before such intervention could be contemplated. Firstly, it would have to be justifiable in terms of international law. Secondly, Free World opinion would have to be favourably disposed towards it, and, finally, it would have to have Congressional approval. Eisenhower furthermore believed that the United States would require the assurance of help from other countries (if only as a token) to prevent possible accusations of naked American imperialism. In pursuance of this belief he mooted an American, British, and French coalition to lend moral weight to an intervention, and at the same time sought to convince both the Vietnamese and the world that it was France's sincere intention to grant the Associated States (Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia) their independence in the shortest possible time. American aid to France was in the meantime continued, including the despatch to Vietnam in February 1954, of B-26 bombers and 200 technicians, the latter to serve on a temporary basis until the middle of June. Congress would not sanction the service of United States Air Force personnel in Vietnam on a permanent basis.(7)

On 25 January 1954 the Berlin Conference opened with the United States, France, Great Britain and the Soviet Union participating. At the time Dien Bien Phu had just been resupplied and although an estimated force of 24 000 Viet Minh surrounded the French garrison of 11 000 men, the fort was in no danger of falling.

Molotov, the Soviet Foreign Minister, attempted to have Asia included in the agenda and to secure a seat in the deliberations for communist China. These attempts were opposed by the United States. As a result of popular pressure on the Laniel government in France, Foreign Minister George Bidault was eager to negotiate a settlement of the Indo-China imbroglio. The American Secretary of State John Foster Dulles urged the French to delay negotiations and proposed a four power conference on the Far East at a later date. He also warned Bidault that the Communists would seek a major military gain so that they could engage in future negotiations from a position of strength.

The Berlin Conference ended on 18 February 1954 with no concrete results. Geneva was to be the venue of the next meeting which was scheduled for 26 April.

The Battalion then went back to :spam: England where the the Corp of Drums and the Band of 1 Para were issued with a smart new blue uniform. They were then shipped out to Paris were they led a parade down the Champ Elysees to thank them for nearly going to war for them.
When they returned to England the blue uniforms were taken from them and they were told to forget it ever happened. There are very few photographs of this happening and even the Regiment has never heard of it. One person that has some photos is a chap called foster who was I believe a private at the time and who rose right through the ranks.
Well if any one can add any thing to this story I would love to hear from them.
Here is the only known Photograph of this parade

Mod Edit: Deleted reference to SPAM.

Last edited by a moderator:
i don't know if this adds to the veracity of the story or not but i recall from a history of the Australian Army Training Team (Viet Nam) that there was a similar team from the United Kingdom helping to train ARVN forces in the early 60's. Of course the author might be confusing former British citizens serving in American and Australian armies at the time as some sort of official unit- after all it was a history of the Australian unit.

bren 122........I know the chap who was briefed about going to Vietnam as I served in the same unit a year or so later. My old platoon L/t went out and fought with the Australian Army in Vietnam and rose to the Rank of colonel with them he also became very highly decorated, sadly Robert Hennessey or Bob as every one called is no longer with us.

Back