F-22 vs PAK/FA

FlyingFrog

I would like to know something about PAK/FA atually.

F/A-22 and PAK/FA are both future fighter jets (4th generation).

F/A-22 is almost ready to go service, but where is FAK/FA?

Seems FAK/FA is ages behind F-22, bad news for some countries.

While the MiG OKB was working in a "step forward step back" fashion on second-generation MiG-29 concepts in the late 1980s and through the 1990s, they were also working in fits and starts on a true next-generation fighter under the "Multirole Tactical Fighter (Mnogofunktsionahll'nyy Frontovoi Istrebitel / MFI)" program.

The MFI program had been initiated in 1986 to counter Western efforts to develop next-generation fighters, such as the US "Advanced Tactical Fighter (ATF)", which would become the Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor. The MiG MFI design team was originally led by Grigoriy Sedov and later by Yuri Vorontnikov.

Initial MFI prototype construction began in 1989, with the prototype, the "MiG 1.44", finally rolled out in early 1994. It performed taxi trials later that year, and then the program finally bogged down to a halt and remained in darkness for the next several years. Rumors circulated in the West about the secret "MiG 1.42", along with speculations about its features.

However, work on the MFI was only dormant, not dead, and the type was finally unveiled in January 1999. The designation was announced as the "MiG 1.44", the MiG 1.42 code apparently having been only for the overall development program.

The MiG 1.44 looks something like a child of the MiG-29 and the Eurofighter Typhoon. The MiG 1.44 shares the Typhoon's canard layout, an unusual configuration by Russian standards, and the twin underslung engines. In general style, however, it clearly says "I am a MiG!", and by no means a Eurofighter copy.

The wings are of cropped-delta configuration, with a 45-degree sweep and no LERXs. They have full-span leading edge flaps and big two-section elevons in the rear. The large canards are placed behind the canopy and have a dogtooth leading edge. Unlike the Eurofighter and like the MiG-29, the MiG 1.44 has twin vertical tailplanes with a slight outward cant. There are ventral fins under the vertical tailplanes.

The MiG 1.44 is made of steel alloy, aluminum-lithium alloy, and composites. Its lines reflect some degree of "stealth" design. A production version could be coated with "radar absorbing material (RAM)" to improve stealth. However, stealth is a relatively low priority in its design, ranked under performance and agility.

The MiG 1.44 is powered by twin Lyul'ka-Saturn AL-41F afterburning turbofans with an afterburning thrust of 17,840 kilograms (39,340 pounds) each. The engines give the MiG 1.44 a "supersonic cruise" capability. Some reports indicate that they have thrust-vectoring nozzles as well. The MiG 1.44 has twin-wheel nose gear that retracts backward, while the single-wheel main gear retracts forward.

In the production version, stores were to be carried in a weapons bay in the center fuselage, though the MiG 1.44 demonstrator does not have this bay. Munitions could also be carried on external stores pylons. The demonstrator is fitted with a GSh-301 30 millimeter cannon. Although advanced avionics have been considered for the production aircraft, the demonstrator lacks most combat avionics systems, though it does have an advanced FBW flight control system.

The MiG 1.44 now appears to be a dead end. In 2001, the Russian government announced a next-generation fighter effort under the "Future Air Complex for Frontal Air Forces (Perspektivnyi Aviatsionnyi Kompleks Frontovoi Aviatsyi / PAK-FA)" program, specifying an aircraft that could compete with the US F-35 Joint Strike Fighter for service beginning in 2010.

A group of Russian industries led by Sukhoi and another group led by MiG and Yakovlev competed for the PAK-FA contract, and in late April 2002, the Russian government announced that the Sukhoi group had won the award. The government specified that MiG and Yakovlev would get workshares in the program, but the loss of the competition was still clearly a blow to MiG.

It may not have been a major blow. The VVS does not actually seem to be interested in procuring the PAK-FA in numbers any time soon, with upgrade of their existing aircraft remaining their top priority. Some observers believe the PAK-FA effort is being conducted by the Russian government to keep their aircraft industry up to date and attract foreign investment. The MiG organization may have lost this battle, but it is by no means certain they have lost the war.

I already opened that thread. Still I think F-22 is better, maybe not 100% but still is better...

But I think we can forget about Mig-42 right? Cuz it will not fly anymore and can be said "dead".

As Alexander Velovich said in his public mail about Mig-42:

No, it has not been unveiled and it has not flown. And most probably, it never will. I believe I have the right for such statement with my 13 years working experience in Mikoyan design bureau (1978-1991) at relatively high position.

Link:
http://aeroweb.lucia.it/~agretch/RAFAQ/MiG1.42.html

Russia is currently only working on FAK/FA I think.

I want to know more about the status of FAK/FA.

Oh Yeah, PAK/FA means:

PAK FA [ Perspektivnyi Aviatsionnyi Kompleks Frontovoi Aviatsyi -
Future Air Complex for Tactical Air Forces

The prototype of the PAK FA would take-off in 2006 and that in 2010 the aircraft would be ready for series production. The first deliveries, both for Russian armed forces and for export, would be possible in 2011-12.

The new airplane is being proposed to be brought from the concept design to a prototype series in less than 9 years. Historically, fourth and fifth generation fighters have not been created in less than 15 years. The Russian government has promised to allocate 1.5 billion dollars for the PAK FA through 2010. But the Russian Air Force is receiving less than 200 million dollars a year during this period, and will spend it primarily on other needs.

Development and construction of a fifth-generation fighter would require about $20 billion dollars, and as of early 2004 it was unlikely that the government will appropriate financing of this scale.

NOTE: Russians call it 5th Gen while Western call it 4th Gen.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/russia/pak-fa.htm

FlyingFrog said:
Oh Yeah, PAK/FA means:

PAK FA [ Perspektivnyi Aviatsionnyi Kompleks Frontovoi Aviatsyi -
Future Air Complex for Tactical Air Forces

The prototype of the PAK FA would take-off in 2006 and that in 2010 the aircraft would be ready for series production. The first deliveries, both for Russian armed forces and for export, would be possible in 2011-12.

The new airplane is being proposed to be brought from the concept design to a prototype series in less than 9 years. Historically, fourth and fifth generation fighters have not been created in less than 15 years. The Russian government has promised to allocate 1.5 billion dollars for the PAK FA through 2010. But the Russian Air Force is receiving less than 200 million dollars a year during this period, and will spend it primarily on other needs.

Development and construction of a fifth-generation fighter would require about $20 billion dollars, and as of early 2004 it was unlikely that the government will appropriate financing of this scale.

NOTE: Russians call it 5th Gen while Western call it 4th Gen.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/russia/pak-fa.htm

So what is your point? Russians needed much more time to get there where Americans were? O.K. than it's correct, if that's what you mean.

So what is your point? Russians needed much more time to get there where Americans were? O.K. than it's correct, if that's what you mean.

Yeah that's my point and world point too:
It is hardly possible ( I don't want to say impossible) to get PAK/FA into service as the Russians are claiming (before 2012), it need more time. And Money is a big headache there too.

FlyingFrog said:

Yeah that's my point and world point too:
It is not possible to get PAK/FA into service as the Russians are claiming (before 2012), it need more time. And Money is a big headache there too.
Hmm... I agree. Money is a big problem, US makes one mistake in that things which cost in budget defeicites: In russia things are different than in the US. Now what's my point, in Russia development isn't costing that much like in USA simply because Russians have different strategy in those things, they make Sukhoy, MiG, Yak etc. competing for the job and not finance it! In US is different, Government is doing all the paying for pretty much anything that comes on mind of some enginers! Than pay again to fix it, and it goes, and goes..... Catch up with me? I don't know if I said this clearly.

Of course your point is easy to get :lol:

I think MiG will disappear soon, they lack customers to support the finance.

Sukhoi is going well because of dozens of billions dollars flowing in from big customers like China and India.

Without customer/market, you are doomed to die.

For US it is a bit different, there are simply enough money from government.

Back