Election 2008: War in Iraq

Which reminds me of a sign we had in our Company CP in the Sand Box.

America is at War!​

Naw really the Military is at War.​

America is at the Mall.​
My view is that war cannot be successful unless it's total war, like during WWI and WWII. If it's not set up like that, it will probably fail, because the Joe Citizen says, "Okay so we're fighting. What's in it for me?" During a total war, Joe Citizen has a job and is helping his country win. The only way to do that in a situation like the current war is to join the military, which he may not want to do if he's 30 with a wife and kids.

On a side note, does the US even have the capability to do that anymore? With Detroit in sad shape, Pittsburgh a well-maintained ghost town, and Cuyahoga County (Cleveland) being the fastest shrinking county in the US with the exception of Hurricane ravaged New Orleans Parish, not to mention Flint, Lansing, Buffalo, Youngstown, Gary, Erie, or any other Rust Belt city, can we build enough steel to sustain ourselves in the event of a serious war?

I would say no country is ever prepared mentally for total war unless they were just in it and used to the way of things during those times. I would suggest that quite a bit of America is quite capable of being able to adapt to the times that that would lead to and require. Of course, their will be the belly achers but I would not say that is the whole of the country.

Back