Draft Letter Format

FutureMedic

For my English class, I have to write a draft letter. Could anyone give me an example of what one should look like?

For my English class, I have to write a draft letter. Could anyone give me an example of what one should look like?

A "draft letter" is nothing more than an introduction, body, and conclusion - unrefined, unedited. It's a showpiece of the intent of the final product, a looking glass, a fishbowl, if you will.

So the example is simply showing your boss what you intend to send so he or she can check the information to ensure your letter will say what he or she wants. The he or she will send it back to you for revision. Make sense?

Make a condensed version of what your teacher wants as far the subject material goes, check for spelling and grammar structure, type it up and hand it in.

Yes, that is what I mean. I assignment is to right a draft letter, drafting a character to go to Iraq. I could get technical and tell her the draft is all but gone for now..but I would like to pass this class.

You should probably ask her why the draft as pertaining to the war in Iraq is relevant to a high school English class. Smells a bit funny to me.

It's a fairly easy assignment, though. As far as I remember, it went something like this in Vietnam:

----------------------

To: (Recipient name, address)

Greeting:
You are hereby ordered for induction into the Armed Forces of the United States, and to report at (some place) on (some date) at (some time) for forwarding to an Armed Forces Induction Station.

(Signed by local board member)

----------------------

That's all they said. Write that up, and ask your teacher the purpose of the assignment, because for something that short, it sure isn't English.

EDIT: I was right - old draft notice can be found here.

Last edited:
You should probably ask her why the draft as pertaining to the war in Iraq is relevant to a high school English class. Smells a bit funny to me.

It's a fairly easy assignment, though. As far as I remember, it went something like this in Vietnam:

----------------------

To: (Recipient name, address)

Greeting:
You are hereby ordered for induction into the Armed Forces of the United States, and to report at (some place) on (some date) at (some time) for forwarding to an Armed Forces Induction Station.

(Signed by local board member)

----------------------

That's all they said. Write that up, and ask your teacher the purpose of the assignment, because for something that short, it sure isn't English.

EDIT: I was right - old draft notice can be found here.

Thank you for the information c/Commander. She told me she wants it to be a page typed..I don't think she has any understanding about what a draft letter is or how short one should be. The assignment is to draft a character out of a book my group is reading.

Last edited:
WOW that draft letter looks familiar LOL my dad showed me one exactly like that that he got in 1944

A "draft letter" is nothing more than an introduction, body, and conclusion - unrefined, unedited. It's a showpiece of the intent of the final product, a looking glass, a fishbowl, if you will.

So the example is simply showing your boss what you intend to send so he or she can check the information to ensure your letter will say what he or she wants. The he or she will send it back to you for revision. Make sense?

Make a condensed version of what your teacher wants as far the subject material goes, check for spelling and grammar structure, type it up and hand it in.

I should have explained myself better, by draft letter, I meant a letter involving the selective service.

Thats exactly what she thinks.

Well to be fair, it's printed on one page...:)

You can extend it however you need to - add items like branch of service, MOS, all of that jazz - in an official-sounding tone (which, essentially, means you need to be a cold, detached :cens:hole to the person you're writing the letter to.)

I have a good collection of official letters I can type up (parts will be censored, sorry) and post here if you need me to.

Well to be fair, it's printed on one page...:)

You can extend it however you need to - add items like branch of service, MOS, all of that jazz - in an official-sounding tone (which, essentially, means you need to be a cold, detached :cens:hole to the person you're writing the letter to.)

I have a good collection of official letters I can type up (parts will be censored, sorry) and post here if you need me to.

Thank you for the offer, but I have the letter written up..I can't be a cold bastard though, she said it has to be "school appropriate".

Most of the time, my writing doesn't involve any personality. It's just dull and boring with a bunch of pretty words thrown in.

Back