Domestic Spying without a Court Order by the FBI

Do you approve of Domestic Spying without a Court Order?

• Yes

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • No

Votes: 18 64.3%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters
The apparatus is already in place and has been for some time in my opinion. The gloves are coming off is all.

I don't want to be spied on just because I like my privacy.

But then, I don't feel threatened in the least by terrorism because I live in a remote area that would be a major waste of resources to strike at.

I often wonder, in my AIM conversations, when I type about recent events and include the names of terrorists and locations and such, if the FBI or NSA is reading it. I often include something along the lines of "Hello Mr. NSA do you know Sam Fisher?"

No kidding ... tis so ... I know .......

bulldogg said:
The apparatus is already in place and has been for some time in my opinion. The gloves are coming off is all.
You are NOT wrong about this assumption ... our government and military has had the ability to eavesdrop on phone conversation electronically since the mid to late sixties ... I know because one of my jobs was working on a telephone mainframe while serving with the Army (nuff said). The state of the art is so much greater than it was then, that just the articulation of a "key" word or words, will automatically switch your telephone conversation to a recording and tracking system. At the same time, a human operator is notified that a "suspect" conversation was intercepted and identifies the time, source, target, key word(s) and a whole host of other information. This allows the operator to "cue" the recording for interpretation.

Many times the intercept is found to be harmless ... we ALL use some of the key words in our everyday conversation with friends and families.

IF this allows our security forces to intercept information about an imminent terrorist attack and nip it in the bud ... I don't have a problem with that. Where the rub comes in, is when innocent conversations are recorded ... how long is the recording kept ... when is it erased ... and what use is made of innocent conversation intercepts. When people misuse these kinds of intercept systems, the danger for major violations of privacy rights can be very real and very very damaging.

Back