Does belief in religion cause wars?

If Catholics don't listen to the Pope when he says abstinence is the only way to prevent pregnancy or that sex should be for pro-creation only why should we expect them to start listening if the Pope were to endorse the use of condoms to decrease the rate of AIDS/HIV infections in Africa?

Please see my new thread on Political, 'defence of the Pope'.

Furthermore, judging all Christians for the actions of the Pope is the same as judging all Muslims for the actions of Osama bin Laden. There are hundreds of millions of us who do not recognize the Pope as being our spiritual leader and do not look to guidance from Rome. Methodists, LDS, Lutherans, Calvinists, Jehovah's Witness, Baptists, Orthodox, Anglicans and dozens of other sects operate independent of the Catholic Church.

Exactly ! That is why I wish to take The Pope from this particular equation- he should not have been introduced.

Damian435;499364 Del Boy said:
Yes, and that is why I have specified the situation as we see it now, in the 21st century. Except I do not accept 'fight'.

We send Missionaries throughout the world preaching the word of God in an effort to win over converts.

But we try that lark in muslim countries only at risk of being strung up!

[=Damien435;499394]I agree that the United States and a score of other countries are under threat from military Islam, but the threat is very small.

Why do you say that?

Does Al Qaeda pose a threat to the existence of the United States? No, an inconvenience at most and temporary at best.

Not to the existence of US; but the threat is of great hurt and wound; particularly the dirty bomb, and nuclear in the wrong hands. Was the little matter of 9/11 an inconvenience?

Will Britian ever succomb to Sharia law? No, the reason the people preaching for such a change get so much airtime is because their views are so extreme, not because they are so widely believed.

Sorry - you are too late my friend; Sharia Law is already introduced in places. Trial by jury is now a target. Our leading Anglicans are accepting of the era of Sharia Law. Minarets amplified over some of our towns, but church bells severely limited.

Last edited:
Back