Does belief in religion cause wars? - Page 3

Read more about Originally Posted by LeEnfield Many of the major wars have been over religion, even the Armada was over religion. Spain's invasion of the low countries was over religion,

Military Medals Store

International Military Forums > >

User Name
Password

November 20th, 2006   #21
Prince

war is a means of keeping the human population in check
haha i dunno..we'd fight over anything so wether your black white, purple, muslim, christian, jewish, australian, russian, american or any old human being. we'll allways fight each other.

speaking my mind is compulsory.

-
AVG Advent calendar: daily offers
November 22nd, 2006   #22
MightyMacbeth

one of the purposes of war is territorry

~when a man does his best, what else is there? Gen.George S.Patton

September 19th, 2008   #23
Papashah41

Religeon is manipulated by the powerful. It is flogged onto the uneducated as a means to order. Just look at recent news reports around the world, concerning Islamic extremist situations. I often wonder what the western world could be capable of if fruitcakes like Pat Robertson got power. Would they be calling Christian Warriors to march in the name of God. Isn't the seperation of church and state a wonderful thing?

September 19th, 2008   #24
senojekips

"The believer may be happy, but the doubter is wise"

Even Muslims have doubts,

"Trust in Allah, but tie up your camel."

"I am totally responsible for what I write,... however I cannot be held responsible for your complete inability to understand"

September 19th, 2008   #25
Del Boy

War is explained by Darwinism , nature red in tooth in claw. The natural law of the jungle, survival of the fittest in evolution.

When related to man-kind it is very ugly indeed, and that is why a spiritual aspect to man-kind is all - important.

English by the grace of God.

February 25th, 2009   #26
MontyB

I tend to think it is more a case of a misguided use of religion and the lack of a questioning mind in its followers that causes wars.

Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices. - Voltaire 1694-1778

February 26th, 2009   #27
Partisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
I tend to think it is more a case of a misguided use of religion and the lack of a questioning mind in its followers that causes wars.
That is part of the problem. Religion is based on faith, don't question the inaccuracies, because the mystery of god, mohammed, judah, buddah etc are beyond your understanding. So you have a ready made idiot squad, all you need to do is light the touchpaper, aim in the required direction & stand back.

I'm an atheist, so I'm biased, but I can never understand how people can believe in a mysticlal beingand then believe that certain people are designated as his/hers/its mouthpiece.

Still we've managed to survive so far, in spite of ourselves, looking forward to the next 10,000 years, it is going to be a blast.

February 26th, 2009   #28
Balkan-MiG

I used to be a Serbian Orthodox, but since i wisened up i rejected it as i would if you offered me a pile of @#$%$

Darwin has got it right, i beleive. In Christianity, for example, "Humans are gods favourite beings", if so, then how come we have proven to be one of the WORST species to walk the Earth? If we really WERE 'Gods' favourite, then how come we have destroyed most of this world in the period of a few hundred thousand years, when dinosaurs and other types of species lived for literally MILLIONS of years?

It is basically guesswork. Harry Potter books have more fact than the bible and any other manuscript which praises a higher being that is not proven to exist.

And yes I know its a Su-34

February 26th, 2009   #29
A Can of Man

I think ultimately we're fighting for something else but people like to throw in religion as a recruiting strategy.
Even if there was no religion, there would always be something else. There are a lot of ideologies to choose from.

February 27th, 2009   #30
LeEnfield

Many of the major wars have been over religion, even the Armada was over religion. Spain's invasion of the low countries was over religion, as soon as they went over to the Protestant religion then the Pope gave the countries to Spain just like he gave England to Spain

LeEnfield Rides again

Tags
genes, groups, religion, religious, wars