Digging around for Old FLorida Photos and I found this... (Military Photos)

5.56X45mm

Milforum Mac Daddy
clear.gif

Florida's oldest confederate veteran, Billy Lundy at Eglin Air Force Base 1955

He is said to have enlisted in the last days of March 1864, at age 16; Company D (Brown's), 4th Alabama Cavalry Regiment (Home Guard) at Elba; and to have been honorably discharged at Elba in May 1865, on account of close of war. He moved his family to Laurel Hill in 1890, where he and wife, Mary Jane Lassiter, raised ten children. He was granted a Confederate soldiers pension in Florida, no. 8948, of $600 per annum was awarded to be paid effective from June 12, 1941. At some point the pension increased to $75 per month ($900 per annum), and finally, in 1953, it was increased to $150 per month ($1800 per annum). Source: Florida Pension Records On January 18, 1955, the Boston Traveler published an article, "Reb on T.V.", of which William Allen Lundy was the subject; making mention of the 107 year old Confederate veteran being on television in Pensacola.

He was the last surviving Confederate soldiers residing in Florida, and one of three (all Confederate) Civil War veterans in the United States.

At the ostensible age of 109, Private Lundy died at Crestview, Okaloosa County, on September 1, 1957. He is interred at Almarant Cemetery, Laurel Hill.

c023160.jpg

Billy Lundy standing in front of a F-100 Super Saber

c023162.jpg

c023168.jpg

c023165.jpg

c023161.jpg

The Airman on the left is holding a Pattern 1853 Enfield Musket and Billy Lundy holding the then modern M1 Carbine.

I remember watching a "new reel" (it was pre-video days) of I think it was the 50th anniversary of the battle of Gettysburg where they had survivors of both the Confederate and Union armies, it was a really interesting event.

I remember watching a "new reel" (it was pre-video days) of I think it was the 50th anniversary of the battle of Gettysburg where they had survivors of both the Confederate and Union armies, it was a really interesting event.
I've seen pictures from that event, it was really interesting.

I've seen pictures from that event, it was really interesting.

Hehe well if you liked the pictures I can highly recommend a visit to battleground, spent a few days there back in 1998 as part of a study and it was really interesting. I am impressed with the amount of effort that has gone into protecting the site given its size.

Hehe well if you liked the pictures I can highly recommend a visit to battleground, spent a few days there back in 1998 as part of a study and it was really interesting. I am impressed with the amount of effort that has gone into protecting the site given its size.
Went in 2006. ;)

It was really neat.

Went in 2006. ;)

It was really neat.

I have to admit though all the people in the film looked like the guy in the photo's above so its more likely it was 75th anniversary which would have been 1938 and explains why it had sound.

Actually just looked at the footage of the 1938 reunion and that wasn't the one I saw so mow I will guess that it was the 1913 50th Anniversary perhaps they just all looked older.

Last edited:
Back