Democrats at their best- Hillary's Ancestry

tomtom22

Chief Engineer
Hillary's Ancestry

I don't know if this is true but, I certainly do believe that the government works this way.

Judy Wallman, a professional genealogical researcher, discovered that Hillary Clinton's great-great uncle, Remus Rodham, was hanged for horse stealing and train robbery in Montana in 1889.

The only known photograph of Remus shows him standing on the gallows. On the back of the picture is this inscription: 'Remus Rodham; horse thief, sent to Montana Territorial Prison 1885, escaped 1887, robbed the Montana Flyer six times. Caught by Pinkerton detectives, convicted and hanged in 1889.'

Judy e-mailed Hillary Clinton for comments.... this is good!!!

Hillary's staff of professional image adjusters sent back the following biographical sketch: 'Remus Rodham was a famous cowboy in the Montana Territory . His business empire grew to include acquisition of valuable equestrian assets and intimate dealings with the Montana railroad.

Beginning in 1883, he devoted several years of his life to service at a government facility, finally taking leave to resume his dealings with the railroad.

In 1887, he was a key player in a vital investigation run by the renowned Pinkerton Detective Agency. In 1889, Remus passed away during an important civic function held in his honor when the platform upon which he was standing collapsed.'

And THAT is how it's done folks!------

Well I am not going to to defend Clinton, but who here doesn't have a family with a few skeletons?

My Great-Great-Grandfather (An Artillery Captain) was dishonorably discharged from the Union Army for striking a superior officer. And as family roots in America are very old, I am sure there was somebody down the line who mistreated some Natives at somepoint.

Are we going to condemn someone for the actions of their ancestor? There are 3 Great nephews and a Niece of Hitler still alive (they are in their 60's) in Germany, they took an oath never to have any children to be absolutely certain the Hitler bloodline would die out. Is that really a model to follow?

And while the Clinton people did spin his biography, its not a bold faced lie. They just left out certain details...

Just to inject a little reality as we all know this ws "really" meant to be a joke...

http://www.snopes.com/politics/clintons/thief.asp

Why of course people can't just use the "Humour" forums escapes me but I guess it doesn't matter.

Still I guess manufacturing a story is all the rage these days...

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Scion of traitors and warlords: why Bush is coy about his Irish links[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Tapestry artist reveals ancestors of US president as murderous bunch
[/FONT][FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]Angelique Chrisafis, Ireland correspondent
[/FONT][FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]Thursday January 27, 2005
[/FONT][FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]Guardian
[/FONT][FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]It is perhaps not the best omen for US foreign affairs. Local historians in Wexford have discovered that George Bush is a descendant of Strongbow, the power-hungry warlord who led the Norman invasion of Ireland thus heralding 800 years of mutual misery. With a long line of Scots Irish presidents including Woodrow Wilson, the Irish are normally quick to claim US leaders as their own. But, despite President Bush's large Ulster Scots vote in the American Bible belt, Ireland had let his family escape the genealogical microscope. [/FONT][FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]But now Ann Griffin Bernstorff, an artist working on a tapestry to commemorate Ireland's Norman heritage, has discovered what she claims is the Bushs' missing Irish link. [/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]Ms Griffin Bernstorff was researching Strongbow's son-in-law, William Marshal, when she discovered the connection. A descendant of Marshal married Anne Marbury Hutchinson, a famous 16th century religious dissenter who had already been linked to Mr Bush. [/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]"It is one of those bizarre developments," she said. "We traced the Bush genealogy through a Republican source in Chicago and found it was correct. People here are absolutely shocked. I'm not sure what the wider reaction will be, Bush has not been seen as a great friend of the Irish." [/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]Indeed, when Mr Bush visited a County Clare castle last year, radio talk-show hosts asked: "Is this the most hated American ever to set foot on Irish soil?" [/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]The US president's now apparent ancestor, Richard de Clare, Earl of Pembroke - known as Strongbow for his arrow skills - is remembered as a desperate, land-grabbing warlord whose calamitous foreign adventure led to the suffering of generations. Shunned by Henry II, he offered his services as a mercenary in the 12th-century invasion of Wexford in exchange for power and land. When he eventually died of a festering ulcer in his foot, his enemies said it was the revenge of Irish saints whose shrines he had violated. [/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]The Bush clan - who pride themselves on a distinguished New England family history that can be traced back to the first English in America - may well be looking for a healthy spin on the news. But it seems that Strongbow is not the worst of Bush's newfound ancestors. [/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]The genetic line can also be traced to Dermot MacMurrough, the Gaelic king of Leinster reviled in history books as the man who sold Ireland for personal gain. [/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]Even before MacMurrough earned the title of Ireland's worst traitor by inviting Strongbow's invasion to save himself from a local feud, the Irish chieftain had a reputation for gore. One English chronicler told how MacMurrough, recognising the features of a personal enemy poking from a pile of severed heads after a battle, snatched up the rotting flesh and tore it with his teeth in a "hideous frenzy". [/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]As if it were not enough to be related to two of the most notorious figures in Irish history, Mr Bush's ancestors are also thought to have founded the settlement of New Ross, in County Wexford. A quiet place, New Ross has a stunning Norman church and another claim to fame: it is the ancestral home of John F Kennedy. [/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]During his first election campaign in 2000, English genealogists found that Mr Bush was descended from Essex yeomanry. But unlike many US presidents keen to impress the Irish-American voters, he never before claimed an Irish link. [/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]In the recent election campaign, the Democrat John Kerry had to deny rumours he was Irish. But Ronald Reagan and John F Kennedy played the Irish card. And Bill Clinton, perhaps aware that portraits of JFK hung beside the Pope above rural Irish fireplaces, once punched the air at a St Patrick's Day parade, declaring: "I feel more Irish each day." [/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]The jury is out on whether Strongbow had a "conquering" gene that drove him to invade. Michael Staunton, a lecturer in history at University College Dublin, felt Strongbow was simply desperate. "It was a typical colonial situation, the people who don't have much going for them decided to hop off to another country." [/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]Perhaps the most worrying question in New Ross is whether Mr Bush now has a claim on Leinster. "Yes of course, he probably does," Ms Griffin Bernstorff said. "But there are other families in the area who have a claim and neighbours and friends here would put up a pretty stiff fight." [/FONT]

http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,,1399353,00.html

So whats worse a fictitious horse thief as a distant ancestor or that lot?
How about we just blame the media?

Last edited:
Great stuff. But of course, no-one hates humour more that politicians - and those with no sense of humour!

Why blame the media for making the world go round? Puncturing the pomposity of politicians is important work - won't someone please let the air out of Al Gore.

And BTW - The Earl of Pembroke is still going strong one of Britains greatest respected peers.

Of course ALL early kings, barons, etc., were gangsters and villains, the most powerful of their time - that's how they got where they got.

Great stuff - more please.

Great stuff. But of course, no-one hates humour more that politicians - and those with no sense of humour!

Why blame the media for making the world go round? Puncturing the pomposity of politicians is important work - won't someone please let the air out of Al Gore.

Oddly enough I agree but only when inflicted upon all politicians equally, however when only one side is attacked it becomes more a political statement than a humourous shot at politics itself.

I don't give two squirts a piss what her great grand daddy did over a hundred years ago. To ask that question to the Clintons was not fair at all. What did they expect her to say? I think for a stupid question, she returned a stupid answer.

Oddly enough I agree but only when inflicted upon all politicians equally, however when only one side is attacked it becomes more a political statement than a humourous shot at politics itself.

Usually they get shot back. And it should be the politicians themselves who are targetted for humour. It's a great prod - that is why the Islamists hate it so, for example. I carry the historical political -humour image of De Gaulle with his trousers down; didn't hurt his career much, that's true, but it sure made you feel better about things.

I have read somewhere, however, that Hillary and Obama are somehow related (through his maternal ancestors, of course!)

Back