Dad of a fallen Marine perseveres against protests at military funerals

Are you really telling me you don't have any laws against such behavior in the US? I can hardly believe that, but well...I guess I'll have to. :-x
BS like that's got nothing to do with freedom of speech. Here in Germany, knowingly disturbing a funeral gets you up to 3 years in jail...

Yes, Moloch....sadly, that's how it is over here. :(

In such a litigious society as exists in the US, I have no idea how come the Father (and a lot of others) have not taken the Phelps clan to court and sued them back to the stone age, for mental anguish or some such thing.

People have been awarded huge sums for much less.

In such a litigious society as exists in the US, I have no idea how come the Father (and a lot of others) have not taken the Phelps clan to court and sued them back to the stone age, for mental anguish or some such thing.

People have been awarded huge sums for much less.
As I listed in post 17 Phelps was sued. Snyder (the Father) sued for defamation, for invasion of privacy and for intentional infliction of emotional distress, and won $5 million in damages

But the appeals court threw out the award as summarized here:

"The high court won’t hear Snyder’s defamation charge. A lower court threw that out, essentially saying that Phelps and Co. propagate such outlandish claims that no one with any common sense would believe them anyway."

The court not only threw the judgment out they ruled that Snyder owes Phelps court cost.

Basically that is what started the topic, the case is going to the Supreme Court to see if the appeals court ruling stands on Phelps right to not be blocked from his protest. It will not reinstate the judgement even if Phelps losses.

You might want to reread post 17, Phelps will not stop protesting funerals he will continue.

Last edited:
---snip---But the appeals court threw out the award as summarized here:
In which case the Father should have stood in the court and accused the presiding judge(s) of being stupid f*ckwits who were on the payroll of the Phelps clan. When the judge tried to charge him with contempt of court, use the same defence saying that the statement was supposedly too stupid to believe, so why was the judge getting his knickers in a knot?

Are you really telling me you don't have any laws against such behavior in the US? I can hardly believe that, but well...I guess I'll have to. :-x
BS like that's got nothing to do with freedom of speech. Here in Germany, knowingly disturbing a funeral gets you up to 3 years in jail...

Yep its true, want to know another thing about our govt that Pi***s me off? and this is;'t an Obama thing,

For 234 years, the Military of the United States has defended the freedoms each American has, including the right to burn the Flag and bad mouth this great nation, How's THAT grab ya? Kinda make ya wonder how we have made it this far don't it?

Yep its true, want to know another thing about our govt that Pi***s me off? and this is;'t an Obama thing,

For 234 years, the Military of the United States has defended the freedoms each American has, including the right to burn the Flag and bad mouth this great nation, How's THAT grab ya? Kinda make ya wonder how we have made it this far don't it?
David Koresh and his Branch Davidians, they left folks alone. They didn't harass anyone. And lookie at what the feds did to them. They killed them.

But this nut job Westboro bunch from Topeka, all the crap they do to folks, and they get away with it. And the feds don't do anything.

Something's wrong about all of this.

We've made it this far because Rough men still stand ready to committ violence on behalf of the sissies to protect their right to do silly stuff. To halfass parapharse Orwell.

Hey, the latest news I got was that America is perfect.
I have to agree or else I'm anti-American.

Thats crap. Imperfect but functioning to a degree that prevents tyranny or anarchy is more like it.

Phelphs is an A$$hat

"There is no such thing as bad publicity". As long as the media continues to report on Fred Phelps' outragous activities he will continue to do what he does.

Just because this America Hating Idiot can do something does not mean that he should. He claims to be a Christian, but his behavior would indicate otherwise.

His kook church was protesting outside my son's middle school in Blacksburg, VA a few weeks ago and my son tells me that there was a pretty sizable counter protest (More counter protestors than protestors).

Being a college town we tend to have some pretty active America haters. Had to endure a "No guns in Starbucks" protest last weekend when I went into get a coffee. A great opportunity to teach my kids (16 and 11) that there were kooks who have nothing better to do than rant about stupid things. Try to engage them in meaningful discussion of the issues and all you get are canned, inflammatory phrases, with no real substance.

Sigh. American courts will never allow laws like those in Denmark and Germany even if the legislature and the president passed them.

Well, I hate what they do but our soldiers protect their right to do it.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~Benjamin Franklin

Well, I hate what they do but our soldiers protect their right to do it.

Of course they would never admit it and would never do anything to contribute to the protection of the freedoms they enjoy.

These are the same people who question the necessity of having a military.

"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon and stand a post." Fictional LTC Nathan Jessup, A Few Good Men

They will NEVER understand this quotation either:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. " Ronald Reagan 03-30-1961

Load them all onto a Herc and drop them in the center of Afghanistan - let's see what the taliban do to these so called " christians "

I'd pay to see that!!!!

although freedom of speech and the first amendment are part of what makes this country livable there are some things that should not be messed with, funerals are one of these things. no matter if one agrees with the person, or the war they died in, this is a time for their loved ones to mourn a hero, not the war that took their life. so i think it moreso becomes an issue of morals.

The most sickening part of this, is that our troops voluntarily risk their lives so that these bottom-feeders can make these hateful comments!

It's a good thing I don't own a gun. Scumsucking morons give Christians a bad name. :mad:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20100331/ts_csm/291560

I agree completely my friend, I currently live in a community of liberal teenagers and often have to control myself to keep from striking a lot of their sorry a$$es down as they slander the people who maintain their rights to live and their other freedoms

Back